You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Guns N Roses Requst 20 Models For Front Row Of Glasgow Concert

monkeychow wrote:

Bono and others...it's not that I'm trying to be an axl apologist..it's just that to me it seems too simplistic if the answer is just that he's a dickhead and pissing off people cos he can. Half the time the lateness fucks himself over - additional crew costs, fines, causing sections of the fan base to stop going to concerts, making those that do go anyway hostile and unpleasant to perform to, coming off as an asshole in the media thus further alienating the people that would spend money on him. It's bad for his own interests far more even than it's annoying for people who go to the show. This leads me to believe that there must be SOME kind of reason for it...rather than just plain assholeism....as what's the point in being an asshole to himself.

I believe it's an anxiety issue, which is why logical responces like "just start getting ready earlier" don't apply as if you are frozen with fear about an event at a certain time it's still going to be scary when you hit that moment, and also why sometimes it doesn't apply, as many anxiety illnesses tend to come and go at random...one day is not like the next.....

Also, I agree with Russ, the technical glitch excuses are clearly bullshit, and don't happen to other people, which leads me to think that it's something about Axl...most seem to think he's an asshole, but given it harms himself and utterly illogical, I think it's out of his control and more a symptom of a psychological issue he tackles each night....

johndivney wrote:

well what has he got to lose by explaining that, if that is the cause, MC?

people would be more than willing to forgive him if it really was beyond his control.

if it's really that devastating for his own interests i don't think he would be doing it in the first place. or is this the solution he has come to/accepted?
my point is, it's not so bad for his own interests that he's explained himself or tried to fix it. he hasn't.

i can't believe he's coming out the other side saying "fuck i wish i coulda gotten here two hours earlier so i coulda got to bed before 1am"
& the fact is, a lot of the time he is actually at the venue but still doesn't appear for up to 2hrs after the last support band.
it's all just part of the act. the asshat act.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Bono and others...it's not that I'm trying to be an axl apologist..it's just that to me it seems too simplistic if the answer is just that he's a dickhead and pissing off people cos he can. Half the time the lateness fucks himself over - additional crew costs, fines, causing sections of the fan base to stop going to concerts, making those that do go anyway hostile and unpleasant to perform to, coming off as an asshole in the media thus further alienating the people that would spend money on him. It's bad for his own interests far more even than it's annoying for people who go to the show. This leads me to believe that there must be SOME kind of reason for it...rather than just plain assholeism....as what's the point in being an asshole to himself.

I believe it's an anxiety issue, which is why logical responces like "just start getting ready earlier" don't apply as if you are frozen with fear about an event at a certain time it's still going to be scary when you hit that moment, and also why sometimes it doesn't apply, as many anxiety illnesses tend to come and go at random...one day is not like the next.....

Also, I agree with Russ, the technical glitch excuses are clearly bullshit, and don't happen to other people, which leads me to think that it's something about Axl...most seem to think he's an asshole, but given it harms himself and utterly illogical, I think it's out of his control and more a symptom of a psychological issue he tackles each night....

I believe in the 90's, as he admitted, it was psychological.

In the 2000's, until now, it's because he doesn't have proper management. He was always struggling with management, never did trust the guys that were representing him and I think it's purely that: he has to be on top of things, like crew, negotiations, band members contracts, etc, so with his lack of trust on anyone else he has a lot to go through every night.

Then, when all is set, he has to kinda relax and get ready for the show.

The Lebeis are just enablers, they're not a real management team and I reckon Axl acknowledges that.

But there's only one person to blame for that: Axl Rose.

He should just focus on the music and leave the business to businesses men.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:

I honestly don't get what is shocking about the start time (to the regular followers of the band, not the crew who likely don't fall in the aforementioned category).  I saw a ticket for a Chicago show that said the show time is 9 p.m.  In LA, at the Forum, the start time was advertised as 9 p.m. and that is when Steel Panther went on.  GN'R was known to be coming on between 10:30 and 11 p.m. and that is what happened.  These start times seem in Europe seem to be more consistent with that.  I think everyone from the ticket-buyers to the crew to the venue staff should be made aware of the fact that this is the time frame in which GN'R goes on so planning and decision-making can be made accordingly.

Ali

johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:

I honestly don't get what is shocking about the start time.  I saw a ticket for a Chicago show that said the show time is 9 p.m.  In LA, at the Forum, the start time was advertised as 9 p.m. and that is when Steel Panther went on.  GN'R was known to be coming on between 10:30 and 11 p.m. and that is what happened.  These start times seem in Europe seem to be more consistent with that.  I think everyone from the ticket-buyers to the crew to the venue staff should be made aware of the fact that this is the time frame in which GN'R goes on so planning and decision-making can be made accordingly.

Ali

Mate u r completely missin the point in a funny fashion: it's much easier for the 1 guy to behave like the rest of us than the thousands of punters & crew workers to get on 'axl time'.
If u genuinely don't get the shocking (& tbh, dangerous) inconvenience of going on so late then I dunno... I for one can't be arsed to go thru the plethora of reasons why these late shows fuck over people who simply want to love the music. But hey, there's nobody as important as axl & public transport authorities & babysitters & your boss need to fuckin realise this then maybe people will stop having a prob...

Ali

Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:

I honestly don't get what is shocking about the start time.  I saw a ticket for a Chicago show that said the show time is 9 p.m.  In LA, at the Forum, the start time was advertised as 9 p.m. and that is when Steel Panther went on.  GN'R was known to be coming on between 10:30 and 11 p.m. and that is what happened.  These start times seem in Europe seem to be more consistent with that.  I think everyone from the ticket-buyers to the crew to the venue staff should be made aware of the fact that this is the time frame in which GN'R goes on so planning and decision-making can be made accordingly.

Ali

Mate u r completely missin the point in a funny fashion: it's much easier for the 1 guy to behave like the rest of us than the thousands of punters & crew workers to get on 'axl time'.
If u genuinely don't get the shocking (& tbh, dangerous) inconvenience of going on so late then I dunno... I for one can't be arsed to go thru the plethora of reasons why these late shows fuck over people who simply want to love the music. But hey, there's nobody as important as axl & public transport authorities & babysitters & your boss need to fuckin realise this then maybe people will stop having a prob...

No, you're missing my point.  I understand the inconvenience or else I wouldn't have suggested that "everyone from the ticket-buyers to the crew to the venue staff should be made aware of the fact that this is the time frame in which GN'R goes on so planning and decision-making can be made accordingly".

The fact of the matter is that after 20 something years, there comes a point in time where you have to accept that somethings are not going to change and plan accordingly with what you do have the power to control. 

I understand the inconvenience completely.  I don't understand why this is getting a reaction that to me seems as if it is something new and fresh when in reality it is not.

Ali

johndivney wrote:

u should be happy axl's incorrigibility remains shocking. It's about the only tool he has left to get noticed.. Except for banging' lana del rey & this crap about the models..*

people react to it because it is even more disrespectful now. just because things don't change doesn't make them correct, or that people shouldn't voice dissent. He's doing an asshole thing & people are calling him on it. The only way to stop it is to stop being an asshole.

*edit - actually he also still gets noticed cause of the old band as well, can't believe I forgot his rnrhof shenanigans...

Edit2: also if he offered us something fresh & new maybe people wouldn't complain so much... that'll be just after hell freezes over tho..

Ali

Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:

u should be happy axl's incorrigibility remains shocking. It's about the only tool he has left to get noticed.. Except for banging' lana del rey & this crap about the models..*

people react to it because it is even more disrespectful now. just because things don't change doesn't make them correct, or that people shouldn't voice dissent. He's doing an asshole thing & people are calling him on it. The only way to stop it is to stop being an asshole.

*edit - actually he also still gets noticed cause of the old band as well, can't believe I forgot his rnrhof shenanigans...

Edit2: also if he offered us something fresh & new maybe people wouldn't complain so much... that'll be just after hell freezes over tho..

Where exactly did I say that " just because things don't change doesn't make them correct, or that people shouldn't voice dissent"?  I never said either of those things.

Just as you have a right to voice your dissent, I can express my surprise that anyone who's been a fan of this band for any substantial length of time would still be surprised by this.  TBH, this stopped being surprising for me in 1992 after I saw the band then.

Like I said, I understand the inconvenience, but expecting change after 20+ years of this behavior is unrealistic, IMO, and the best bet is to focus on what you can control in order to make the decision that is best for you and plan accordingly.

Ali

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know why someone is surprised that after 20 years, people are still complaining about the start times.  It sucks.  It's rude.  There's no good reason for it other than one guy thinks he's the only one that matters.  Dealing with it and being happy about it are two different things.  If Axl's lucky enough to be performing in 20 years, people are still going to be complaining about him coming on late.  Deal with it.  wink

Board footer