You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Guns N Roses Requst 20 Models For Front Row Of Glasgow Concert

Bono wrote:

Ali just refuses to acknowlege that anything that doesn't glorify the almighty exists. The late starts are bullshit but Ali can't comprehend that so instead turns it on the fans and acts cool by saying how ridiculous we are for being "shocked" by this when the reality is nobody is shocked by it. That doesn't mean we cant' express what BS it is. If we were all stating how cool it was that Axl comes on late Ali would be chiming in with "I know right, Axl is just pure rock n' roll and the late starts just add to the excitment"

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Ali didn't say a goddamn word of that, or anything close. John was putting words in Ali's mouth (like you are now). The only thing I got from Ali's posts was this:

"I understand the inconvenience completely.  I don't understand why this is getting a reaction that to me seems as if it is something new and fresh when in reality it is not."

That it shouldn't be a surprise after 20 years. This isn't exactly breaking news that Axl goes on late. And at this point it's really more like, "yeah, and?"

People are going to keep complaining about it, and people are going to keep wondering why people keep complaining about it.

Again, before anything gets twisted, going on late is not cool, it's not okay, it's disrespectful, it's bullshit, but it is what it is.

My grandfather went ten times to see Hank Williams Sr. live. And ten times old Hank didn't show up for the gig. It is what it is.

(I believe my grandfather did end up seeing him once, though)

johndivney wrote:

Hank Williams was an alcoholic. He had an excuse..

FTR, I didn't initially put words in ali's mouth. I was surprised when he asked me when he said those things that I said (but I maintain the implication & context existed in ali's post!) :angelic: tongue

Ali's point was the futility of complaining. As a rampant complainer I felt I needed to disagree. If people accepted 'the norm' we'd still be living on a flat earth. I know these analogies a strange in their scope: it's just this axl shit is a microcosm of the wider world - things evolve & clarify thru discourse, Ali tried to thwart or undermine that, i think it's still valid & relevant that's the difference.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:
russtcb wrote:
johndivney wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I'm not surprised by the late start times, but they're a fucking pain in the ass. I have to get up in the morning and go to work, unlike a multimillionaire rock star. And it's no use saying, "just book the day off," I CAN'T DO THAT.

So now I have to plan for getting from the O2 - the most isolated music venue in town - to the far reaches of Twickenham after the Tube and the trains shut down for the night. Great.

russ & ali & axl couldn't give a shit about ur probs man.
i do. it fucking sucks dick & would be easily solved if axl showed even a little respect & love to the fans who got him where he is.
to me, now, it's unacceptable.

Do what now? I don't care about someone else's problems? When have I come close to saying anything like that. You got that out of "it is what it is"?

Just a wee joke... 19

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I think he goes on late cause he virtually lives a nocturnal lifestyle and to him playing in the wee hours of the morning is no big deal it's just mid afternoon to him. I don't think it's meant to be disrespectful to anyone, I don't think he sees it like that. I think (and obviously I'm no expert) he just views it as people want to see him perform, he lives his life by night and he's at his best later on in the night therefore that's what time he goes on to give the best show he can. On a literal level it makes sense before you take into account the thousands of people that are involved in a GNR show either as spectators or crew and the effects it has on them.

As a side note what I also find irritating is the way GNR start times are always the focus of any media coverage for any show they do meanwhile other artists pull similar stunts and remain media darlings (admittedly perhaps not with the same regularity). I was speaking to someone the other day about my upcoming GNR show and the topic of late starts came up and they said they'd been to see Rihanna this year and she had been 2 hours late to stage without any explanation. Lady Gaga is regularly late on stage and I know Russel Brand has been known to keep audiences waiting up to 2 hours for his shows yet this sort of reputation doesn't dog these performers like it does GNR.

johndivney wrote:

The media has other things to talk about regarding those different acts. The late starts are one of the few things axl does that is noteworthy anymore... Again, echoing what I said before, he has the power to change the story - he could make a great album, but he just doesn't seem interested. He seems content w/the shape things are in...

misterID

misterID wrote:

Being an alcoholic ain't no excuse.  16

If that's the case, Axl's alleged anxiety problems are a legit excuse.

GNR has like a 20 year head start on those other performers, Private Eye wink

johndivney wrote:

There's a lot more help & resources available to help axl manage his issues (if indeed they exist) than there was to hank Williams... Again, he hasn't tried to fix it, or if he has & w/20yrs of failing at it then that's maybe worse than not trying at all...

misterID

misterID wrote:

Hank didn't want to fix his problem, like Jim Morrison. I'm huge fans of both but they were both selfish drunks.

Board footer