You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: London, May 31 (14 Years and Dead Flowers w/ Izzy!)

Gibbo wrote:
DCK wrote:

Ok, Izzy steps on stage and does 14 years and what do I get/seehere? Just a lot of shit. Only guy worth reading is Axlin because he can actually say something good and positive when there is something good and positive to say

Honestly? As a fan I truely thought it was a bad ass moment seeing Izzy FRONTING GN'R again with Axl in the background, and DJ, Ron & Richard being super cool and getting as much face time with Izzy as they could, as guitarists, and then Axl kinda fading into the back.

I saw the clip, thought it rocked. Thought it was fucking cool that Izzy stopped by again.

"Izzy can lick my balls?"
"DJ looks like such a poon?"

What are you? Five year olds??

And fucking lay off DJ for once.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Fucking Izzy..enigmatic as ever.

On his appearance at this gig so soon after the RRHOF no-show....
For the same reasons as Monkey I'm kinda pissed at both of them.

If you read Axl's interview with Del about Izzy's 'work' withe the band, look at all the passive agressive twists and turns here. Its like these men are friends but only just....

"The Izzy bit was fun -- and also fun because we didn't have to rely on him in any way, which is how he prefers things and works better for everyone.

That said, you never knew if Izzy would be there or not or if he'd remember the song or decide to leave early.

He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time."

If I was Izzy and I read that, I'd be very much in the "go fuck yourself then" camp. Axl wanted employees, so you have your shit now. Izzy negotiated a contract (which is the way Axl wanted business done) and got a good deal. Good for him.

Regarding the RRHOF thing, I see Izzy's position as all or nothing. He obviously talks to Axl and found out there was no full reunion so bailed also. He should have clarified why though. I felt for Stephen on the night as Axl was a long shot but Izzy respecting his old drummers wishes would have been cool.

Appearing at this gig will give the casuals the impression that the old band is split 3:2 with Izzy now 'officially' endorsing Axl's position.

Still, I don't think that matters anymore. The reunion dream is dead so who gives a fuck who aligns themselves where?

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Fucking Izzy..enigmatic as ever.

On his appearance at this gig so soon after the RRHOF no-show....
Fpr the same reasons as Monkey I'm kinda pissed at both of them.

If you read Axl's interview with Del about Izzy's 'work' withe the band, look at all the passive agressive twists and turns here. Its like these men are friends but only just....

"The Izzy bit was fun -- and also fun because we didn't have to rely on him in any way, (agressive) which is how he prefers things and works better for everyone (passive).

That said, you never knew if Izzy would be there or not or if he'd remember the song or decide to leave early. (Agressive)

He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. (agressive) As it was, we had a great time." (Passive)

If I was Izzy and I read that, I'd be very much in the "go fuck yourself then" camp. Axl wanted employees, so you have your shit now. Izzy negotiated a contract (which is the way Axl wanted business done) and got a good deal. Good for him.

Regarding the RRHOF thing, I see Izzy's position as all or nothing. He obviously talks to Axl and found out there was no full reunion so bailed also.

Appearing at this gig will give the casuals the impression that the old band is split 3:2 with Izzy now 'officially' endorsing Axl's position.
Still, I don't think that matters anymore. The reunion dream is dead so who gives a fuck who aligns themselves where?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Video was posted at MyGNR. Izzy sounds good but Axl has the Mickey Mouse voice. Sigh.

It's not his Mickey Mouse voice. That's when he tries to do the rasp but fails, here he deliberately opts for a less demanding approach. Guy's 50, not much else he can do. Props for realizing his limitations.

I'm just glad Izzy is around.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
ninic wrote:

lol he begs for someone to lay it on him so he can run back and say "see Axl's a**wipers are the idiot kissing drones everyone says they are"  no, not gonna give you (and a few here) the satisfaction. What for?

I'm not sure if that's directed at me, but if so, I don't think I've ever accused anyone of being the things you've ascribed to me there.

It's not really my style as everyone knows I'm a pretty big fan of both Chinese Democracy and the Slash post GNR works.

I did suspect I might cop some crap for my anti-izzy remarks because if I'm not mistaken there are several hardcore Izzy posters on this site and I think someone associated with management or hosting even runs an izzy fan site or something right? Not that they wouldn't let me say my piece but I wasn't sure if everyone was going to like it 16

For the record:

1. I'm happy for the fans there who got to see Izzy as I'm sure it was great for them.

2. I enjoy some of the songs co-written by Izzy in the GNR catalogue.

However my general policy on izzy is:

3. I find his work bland outside of GNR, so I don't buy into this idea that he's the real talent behind Slash/Axl's great works.

4. Despite the songwriting, I think that his contributions in shaping the end result of the GNR sound are less important than Axl, Slash and Duff in that order.

5. I think him not showing up to the hall of fame was disrespectful both to fans and also his former friends. Axl is trying to be GNR with new people and so can't be seen to be old GNR. That's good or bad but at least makes sense. Izzy was just too cool for school. I also don't accept the "all or nothing" logic of a full GNR reunion in his mind or he wouldn't play under the GNR banner with DJ and co. He just had no good reason not to show up.

6. Not really Izzy's fault but I find it strange that Axl talks about making a new era of GNR and not going back to the past line up. The band talks about wanting to write new music together. Everyone wants to go forward. But then what happens is the live show becomes more and more a replication of the UYI tour. It's fun to have Izzy on as an old flame I guess, but when you know he's being paid, and it seems show will do anything to avoid playing any new songs. I'm normally not so negative - but I'm just finding it hard to deal with that the surprises from this tour have been the return of 2 songs from a 1991 album....and it's a guest appearence from one of the songwriters so for one night there's 2 of the people who wrote the songs they play actually there on the stage - and it's to further this agenda that we apparently never get anything new musically and yet can't allow ourselves to actually have a reunion either. Sorry to be the negative guy you wanted me to be but well....I really like the band...but Izzy isn't what I'm waiting for...I'd like the band to either actually be a new GNR or Axl to go back to old GNR...instead we have a costume show of understudies it seems.

johndivney wrote:
DCK wrote:

Ok, Izzy steps on stage and does 14 years and what do I get/seehere? Just a lot of shit. Only guy worth reading is Axlin because he can actually say something good and positive when there is something good and positive to say

Honestly? As a fan I truely thought it was a bad ass moment seeing Izzy FRONTING GN'R again with Axl in the background, and DJ, Ron & Richard being super cool and getting as much face time with Izzy as they could, as guitarists, and then Axl kinda fading into the back.

I saw the clip, thought it rocked. Thought it was fucking cool that Izzy stopped by again.

"Izzy can lick my balls?"
"DJ looks like such a poon?"

What are you? Five year olds??

And fucking lay off DJ for once.

oh no, headmaster DCK is here! everyone on their best behaviour!

DJ looks like a 15 y.o.
or an extra from a Scooby-Doo cartoon.
he deserves to be ridiculed, endlessly.
he's contributed very little over all, mostly it's his silliness that's shone.
why would anyone be praising him?!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm not a fan of DJ's appearance but I think he deserves praise for his playing, he plays the Slash parts much more faithfully than Robin did and the musical standard to my taste has improved because of it (Sorry Russ wink )

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

No one asked you to praise DJ
We all have picked on nearly every member of this band about their looks
He's the most open in the band next to Ron
And you need to be ridiculed at every point for your huge mancrush on him wink

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

...and monkey's huge mancrush on Robin.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:

Only guy worth reading is Axlin because he can actually say something good and positive when there is something good and positive to say

Official confirmation that the world is ending in December.

Hey Russ, stencil this up on a plague and send it to Neemo's house just to fuck with him. 16

I guess my face turn is complete. I never thought in a million years I would read that statement on this board.

I guess me and Bono are gonna be working another feud angle again very soon.

Board footer