You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: London, May 31 (14 Years and Dead Flowers w/ Izzy!)

Sky Dog wrote:

and maybe Axl won't have his "Mickey Mouse" voice and maybe Duff could show up....and maybe Frank could do a better drum fill and maybe....fuck it. It's Rock and Roll, it is suppose to be a circus! 16

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

The way you guys were talking I thought it was going to sound like a disaster. Axl sounds good here. Much better at the first half than second, but no complaints from me.

Izzy sounds AWESOME here. Damn near exactly like the studio version.

I actually thought Axl sounded ok.  Maybe it was because it was more background vocals than lead, but I thought he wasn't bad.  To be fair, I didn't watch the whole thing, so maybe the bad part was at the end.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

russtcb wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

and maybe Axl won't have his "Mickey Mouse" voice and maybe Duff could show up....and maybe Frank could do a better drum fill and maybe....fuck it. It's Rock and Roll, it is suppose to be a circus! 16

Touche salesman 16

I totally hear ya. I only mentioned it because I'd imbibed a few drinks prior to watching the clip and when Izzy started the second verse, I said "Goddamnit Izzy" aloud as if he owed me something 16

haha. Nice! That's Izzy for ya!! Mickey Mouse will always be Axl's spiritual guide. More than Yoda ever could! 14 Frank is an awesome dude! He brings so much energy and gives a great GNR drum sound live! They don't call him the Thunderchucker for nothing!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I said "Goddamnit Izzy" aloud as if he owed me something 16

I said something very similar then recited what he owes me 16

Sorry to anyone I pissed off...

I'm happy for fans enjoying Izzy, I've just lost respect for him after the RRHOF debacle.

I still believe in Axl's songwriting, and I'll loose my shit when something like "Blood in the Water" is released for real, so I don't mean to be unduly negative.

It's just for me personally, Izzy has been irrelevant since the days of Gilby, seeing him reunited with the AFD line up would have been one thing, but recreating it with the modern guys seems pointless to me, and it's the very fact that I believe so strongly in Chinese Democracy 1 and that  I'd enjoy a Chinese Democracy 2 that makes me become frustrated with how things are.

Obviously you expect GNR to play the classic GNR hits and be GNR, but I'd love to see the band develop new material and legitimise their own legacy that way.

Like with Slash and Myles. A huge part of the set is him covering GNR and VR, but now he has an album of his own with Slash...so like or hate it, it gives it a feeling of being a band.

If GNR released some music with DJ or something then they can then do all the 1991 flashbacks they want...but until they do...it's just like they're pretending they were the guys all along...which if you listen to canter seems to be what Axl wants us all to think....

Me_Wise_Magic

I'm sure DJ and Ron will get Axl on that. DJ has written new songs and probably recorded some stuff already; but still..I want to hear the final versions with the rest of the band's input.  @Monkey: I'm with you on the new material statement like everyone else in this forum. I'm going to laugh my ass off if Axl & management release the new songs at the most random occasion. He should really take it up on Ron's idea by releasing a new song or single every few months after or during a particular tour which right now is becoming very unlikely. hmm

johndivney wrote:

MWM91, your ass is safe & secure.

(erm... that sounded very very wrong... my point is there'll be no surprise releases!)

monkeychow wrote:

If GNR released some music with DJ or something then they can then do all the 1991 flashbacks they want...but until they do...it's just like they're pretending they were the guys all along...which if you listen to canter seems to be what Axl wants us all to think....

don't really remember what canter said regarding this. care to elaborate?

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Sounded great to me. Axl's voice ain't 1991, but it wasn't bad either. I love Izzy, and I'm glad to see a new old song get played. I think (hopefully this lasts once I'm no longer sober) I'm going to stop throwing Axl's words ("moving forward", etc.) back at him in my mind, and just try to enjoy the truly cool moments, like this entire show. Take the zen approach. Maybe something new will happen and that will be an unexpected bonus.

Me_Wise_Magic

Good mindset to have dude! That's what I'm sort of doing when I watch clips of the shows on the internet or watch streams! Just enjoying the show and listening to some good songs being played by great people!
@John: haha...it's cool! yeah..if it happens, it happens.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

don't really remember what canter said regarding this. care to elaborate?

There's an interview with him in this thread  http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11688

But i thought this was interesting in that context:

Back to Axl, he went from being the only one in 1994 who was excited about it to the only one really opposed to it.  By that time he had started his “new” Guns and wanted nothing to do with anything that promoted the Appetite lineup or the DEVIL a.k.a SLASH. 

Not only that but now there were FOUR devils many of the figures in my book that help tell the story became devils to Axl, Tom Zutaut, Vicky Hamilton their old manager who allegedly said something about Axl in the press, Robert John, their longtime photographer who apparently had some altercation and was now off limits with Axl regardless of the fact that they were all there and all important parties in the story who really had nothing but good things to say. 

None of that mattered to Axl who did not want me to release my book featuring the devils because it was basically like releasing a photo book of a wedding album ten years after a nasty divorce. 

He could not emotionally deal with my book coming out for two reasons, firstly because it deals with all these people from his past that he now views as enemies and secondly because he has an all new Guns N Roses to promote and would like everyone to forget the Appetite lineup. 

He’s afraid that something like this having success will just pour fuel on the reunion fire but the reality is this book is just history and you wouldn’t have his new band were it not for that original history.  The funny thing is when he plays gigs he does do ten or so of the Appetite songs so he does see the significance of it on some level

Board footer