You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: London, May 31 (14 Years and Dead Flowers w/ Izzy!)

monkeychow wrote:

To who ever said it's lame that I'm butt hurt about RRHOF you're probably right about that, but what am I gunna do? wink

You know like for 20 years I've been apologising for these people in my head when they do unfathomable things:

"Oh, Axl's in a rage again? sabotaged his own album? hehe...that's just Axl...total intensity man..."

"Oh, Izzy walked out on another band to go buy a lollypop in india? Kooky, Dude Koooky"

As the lyric goes "every day the bucket goes to the well, but one day, the bottom will fall out"...and I guess that's what it was for me....it was just one time too often for what was the greatest band of all time to become the butt of jokes.

If Steven and Matt can be adult about it and share the stage, then there's no reason in damn-nation to me that Izzy couldn't have at least made a thank you speach even if he didn't play.

Axl, well, I understand, he has an agenda of making DJ and co be seen as GNR, so he's got some logical grounds to run a mile from it

As for Izzy in general. I guess it comes down to taste...the thing about GNR is that there were a lot of different influences on the sound. To me it depends what you hear strongest in them. I notice:

* Axl's rasp and almost judas priest and Nazareth sounds on rock tracks and also his softer queen and elton john style sounds

* Slash's emotive and incredible lead playing, and his interlocking way of jamming out the rhythm parts when not playing a lead line.

* Duff's punk inspired way of smashing out the bass

* Izzy's stones inspired riffs and structures.

So Izzy plays his role and I love his contributions, and hey, if i met him I'd be all fan boy for sure I guess, I'm just saying at this stage in the game getting him out is pretty much a bit of fun to honour the past...it's just that 95% of the time we're being told to forget about the past..by Axl himself, by izzy for not bothering to show up to the RRHOF, and by the clan of Axl supporters who like to suggest that Slash doesn't play well and ruined the UYI albums etc....

So it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth is all. I guess I'm just becoming confused...to me the band is starting to get a real bizarre alternative universe dimension to it.

* We're not allowed to focus on new stuff because it might never happen and they don't owe us anything.

* We're not allowed to focus on the old band because they've betrayed Axl and it would have been better if they never existed.

* We're left with focusing on the old band's music, played by others and with occasional guest spots from the old bass player and rhythm guitarist, when GNR was a band known for it's vocals and lead lines.

I guess I'm just confused.

I'd like to get excited about 14 years. But to be honest. 20 more seconds of "Blood in the Water" would be worth the last 4 years of 1991 covers to me - unless you want to play them at RRHOF with the people who made them what they are. Likewise...when i see Slash in August...I'm going to be hoping for Anastasia a lot more than I'm hoping to hear Sweet Child of Mine with myles....it's good to hear the classic hits...but at the end of the day there needs to be something new about both Slash and Axl's projects.....and to me the way Axl's been adding surprises to us by busting out 14 years, then estranged before it, well...it just sort of shows he's scrapping the bottom of the barrel to keep it fresh while avoiding doing anything with his band. I get the impression we'll hear a live version of cornshucker before we get a version of blood in the water.....and well....it makes me sad.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

For the record I do enjoy the new band...and that's why I'd like to hear something from them...really like Sixx:Am's new album, and Bumble can play things that scare me on guitar....if Axl would write songs with DJ then we'd probably get some real interesting modern rockers...and I know they'd add good stuff to Axl's ballads....but you know....saying that any of that might happen is starting to become one of those discussions like when you plan a dream band of hendrix with other dead people.....it's just not going to happen.

Best case is that in 2014 we get the rest of CD2 it seems. Sigh.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Ali wrote:

Good for you.  Different tastes for different people.  I like a lot of metal singers like Geoff Tate, Bruce Dickinson, etc. and many of them employ a cleaner vocal tone.  So, I enjoy the cleaner tone.

Ali

I'd be curious to know if you became a fan in the modern era then Ali? As if you like clean tone then the records are pretty rough....Axl really only started singing with clean tone in 2000. Even the "clean" type songs in the 1990s like "Since I don't have you" have a shit load of rasp going on.

I know for example my sister refused to listen to GNR cos she is also a singer and couldn't handle the sound of Axl's voice back in the day.

Oh, hell no.  I've been a fan since 1988.  I don't think the raspiness is anywhere near as pronounced on AFD as it was on the UYI albums.  Or TSI as you said.  The voice that hit me like a ton of bricks was the one on AFD.  It had some raspiness, but was much cleaner IMO than his voice on UYI.  Also, it had a very strong vibrato, which a lot of metal singers also do.  I think that's a great quality in a voice.

Ali

johndivney wrote:

RE: MC -
Mate, it IS sad.

there is NO legitimate reason for this band, for GnR, to exist anymore.

it's perhaps been that way for some time.

what's being served now only tarnishes what was once sacred.

there ARE positives, but then every cloud has a silver lining.

each day this bizarre Chinese nostalgia golden oldies charade continues we get further from the ethos that made this thing of ours special.

the 'spirit' for want of a Better term, is probably DEAD.

me? I'm just here hangin' on in my only place to stay... @ least for now...
but I am drifting slowly away...

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Other than that, the dude has did literally nothing in his involvement as GNR's guitarist to warrant the extreme hatred he constantly receives.

Dude... I don't hate DJ.

He's just too fucking easy to pick on.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

I don't mind a lack of rasp, but his voice is lacking power these days too. Time is catching up with him. Sad to see.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I will say it, Izzy looks like Axl's little bitch. Remember the image of izzy reading a huge article om Slash in the Paradise City video?  Maybe there was some animosity there, that Slash was getting so much attention. From what we know, Slash has never done shit to Izzy. Izzy just comes off as week here. He fits right in with Beta and his other sheep.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Ali wrote:

With all due respect to everyone who thinks Izzy's decision to not attend the HOF was predicated on Axl's attendance, you have to remember that Matt Sorum said Slash had spoken to Izzy and Izzy confirmed he wouldn't attend prior to Axl sending out his statement.  So, I believe that theory is flawed.

That theory is only flawed because you're Axl's defense attorney and your spinning it to try to make Axl look innocent.

That theory being flawed is only flawed because it paints Axl into a guilty verdict... which he is.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I will say it, Izzy looks like Axl's little bitch. Remember the image of izzy reading a huge article on Slash in the Paradise City video?  Maybe there was some animosity there, that Slash was getting so much attention. From what we know, Slash has never done shit to Izzy. Izzy just comes off as weak here. He fits right in with Beta and his other sheep.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Steven did say that Slash said Izzy wasn't coming BEFORE Izzy made the statement through Duff and before Axl made his. That is the truth.

If Axl would have agreed, maybe he would have changed his mind and shown up. That's a huge possibility.

And now we've gone from people bashing Duff for performing with Axl, to bashing Izzy. I'm sure all Izzy has to do is perform with Slash or something and he'll be the super duper cool guy again, like Duff... Who suddenly isn't "spineless" anymore and everyone seems to "respect" again.

God forbid Slash plays with him. We might have people comitting suicide.

Board footer