You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

Re: Newcastle UK Metro Arena - Classic Rock Review

jonesy wrote:

The latest copy of Classic Rock just fell through my door. Live review that I thought I'd copy out here.  Mods, feel free to move to more appropriate thread if need be.

Tardiness takes its toll on in-form Axl

It's so easy to poke fun at Axl Rose as being a bloated self parody, and to pick holes in a sprawling band that bears little resemblance to one of the greatest rock' n' roll acts of all time.

Easy and yet, in 2012, not necessarily fair. Guns N' Roses may have endured a difficult decade but this performance was as tight as it was passionate, and as fascinating as it was prolonged.

Rose clearly has a future as a relevant live draw but starting midweek shows at 10.40pm doesn't help his cause. A half-full venue suggested serial tardiness is finally taking its toll on ticket sales.

But these days, GN'R really are better late than never. No longer powered by the raw energy that piqued the interest of Appetite for Destruction devotees 25 years ago, the latest Guns incarnation nevertheless boasts visible enthusiasm and considerable talent.

And then there's the striking Rose himself, who is the leanest and keenest he's been for several years. Despite the diagnosis of a fractured shoulder and a spell in a Tyneside hospital earlier in the day, he's in scintillating form vocally.

Not since the Use Your Illusion tour has the charismatic front man delivered the epic ballads November Rain and Patience with such endearing aplomb, and for every minute of this three hour marathon, the much maligned Hollywood idol delivered.

It's so easy to criticise Guns N' Roses. Perhaps now is the time for praise.

johndivney wrote:

Now's not the time for praise, IMO.

There was a time for praise. 3/4 yrs ago, 2 yrs ago even.

Now is the time to be looking for new material.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Classic Rock... Even when they praise him they friggin get it wrong. 2006 was his best incarnation, not right now. He's not at his leanest and meanest, right now.

Agree completely with John.

*gives john cosmic karma*

johndivney wrote:
russtcb wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Now's not the time for praise, IMO.

There was a time for praise. 3/4 yrs ago, 2 yrs ago even.

Now is the time to be looking for new material.

I agree in some ways but not necessarily when it comes to a live review. The reviewer was supposed to review that particular show and did. I maintain that based on the quality of shows, they really should be getting positive reviews all around.

The point you make is fair & correct BUT, cause of the special circumstances, it is moot.
The shows are only fun, & that's not enough. An amazing thing to say I know, but I believe it's only fair to judge by other criteria, such as the artistic value of the shows. Pretentious waffle, yea, but these are the standards by which I judge & want fulfilment on, especially regarding Guns & Axl.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

John I understand how you feel, but if they are going to review the show, they need to review the show itself.

They've been asked to review the performance that night and it seems you want them to say something like "this was a bad performance because Axl should have released another album by now."

While you and I may agree that Axl's wasting his time touring without releasing new albums, in terms of the quality of the show itself, it's a separate issue.

johndivney wrote:

I don't want them to say that at all. I know, I've seen this show & it is a fun & often tremendous show.

But it's not a separate issue.
The material is old. Even the 'new' material is old. That has to factor into a complete assessment of the gig.

I'd go as far as saying highlighting a 4yo album (6yo really) would be more relevant than talking about the 'late starts'. That's where the criticism of these shows should really lie.
The rehashed material is more damaging to the credibility & enjoyment of the shows than the late starts.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

The rehashed material is more damaging to the credibility & enjoyment of the shows than the late starts.

I agree in terms of you and me, and most of us hardcore fans who are a bit burnt out on the old stuff, but I must say I don't think the general public is over excited like we are for more material.

I look at it like this. If Axl did a show...and played CD2 in it's entirety - what would happen? People like us would go fucking nuts....but I have a feeling about 6 songs a good deal of the general punters would be calling out for jungle/sweet child or the shit they grew up with.

Although I enjoy the balance Slash has. Where he plays enough of his old songs that you don't miss them, but he's also got a setlist heavy in tracks from the last 2 years (including this year) as well.

But I guess it's natural for bands to get more about their classic hits as they get older. Also has the business moves away from recorded music and into live only...I think that encourages acts of this size to get historical.

johndivney wrote:

Well mate, 2 things -

1: joe public is a moron

2: I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea that the crowd would be bored/requesting old stuff. & if they were/or did then see pt #1
There's more at stake than winning a popularity contest.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

john, in order to come to the conclusion you are coming to you are going into the past and lamenting beyond the scope of the review.

the author is reviewing the show in itself
you are reviewing the show based on management and the politics of it all

"good show but setlist was lacking in cd material' would be a fair and objective satement

ofcourse, they are playing almost as many songs from their least popular album as they are from their most popular album, you know the one that got them into the HOF

but atleast you would be on task there in saying that

Board footer