You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: GNR’s and SLASH’s performance of Paradise City in HELLFEST, France

-D- wrote:

Im same in real life sports forums etc. My mind can be changed with valid points see band breakup etc. When i disagree i try my best to intelligently post why most of the time

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Axl retire? It's an interesting thought that I hadn't considered.
If the game is too tough for him now he might just. If CD II stiffs what could he tour on only a slight variation on the current set  list.
Would he or the fans be bothered unless it's a reunion gig?

johndivney wrote:

He loves 'the game'. It's what he gets off on.

He won't retire as long as people give him lots of $$$
& as long as he needs lots of $$$ to buy crap he & his family don't even need.

& he's been able to tour on 'slight variations' of the set list for @ least 10yrs now, if not forever. Don't see why this'll change in the near future.
He has only a handful of albums from which to draw upon of course...

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Just came to think of that show from England that was supposed to stream live that GNR then decided to make available at a later time. Anyone know what happened to that? Did I miss it?

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Yes, My review was spot on of how I felt. U also have to keep it in context that i saw one of my all time heroes of 25 years for the first time ever like 10 feet from me and heard all the great songs i've grown up with.

so sure, def overwhelmed afterwards.

Now though, seeing they are supposed to be Moving Forward and still doing exact same show I saw, I am no longer a believer anymore.

Plus, YT on some of the ones here don't lie cause he simply has been standing in place ALOT more.

maybe the injuries or what not and his voice def doesnt sound like it did back in Nov.

I don't fault you for being all emotional with your review.  I just don't see a vast difference between youtube vids of today and last year.  Yet some people are acting like Axl has aged 20 years overnight.  I think it has more to do with frustration, than low quality performances.  You, and others, have admitted as much.  The Hall Snub, the lack of forward progress.  I get it, it can grate on people.

I said it before, I give them till this fall after this tour ends.  If there aren't signs of progression by then, even I may be at my wits end with this saga.

I agree with you on the vast difference issue.  I hope they do tour the US again soon so I can have in-person experience to compare to last year.  I think you've touched on something, the frustration part, that I had noticed as well.  22

Ali

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's interesting the "show vs boots" thing.

People say you shouldn't judge the show unless you were there, but frankly, I've seen a lot of boots of stuff that I thought were amazing, (eg Slash playing Anastasia on youtube) and I've seen in-person shows where all the atmosphere and mixing in the world couldn't save a poor vocal performance (eg Motley Crue last year in melbourne).

To my ears:

In 2002 Axl was using no rasp but appeared to still have very strong breath control, but demonstrated a prefrence to stay out of his mid range register or whateverer....seemed to be all high raspless and low strnegth only..no mids...like a person trying to sound like him.

In 2006...he was using those incredible high screams, then the midrange sounded a bit strange like a cover of himself still...but there was a lot of killer high parts to compensate it...and there was a lot of power behind it...very long screams etc....lot of rasp....

In 2009/10 still using rasp...but with less long screams in general....although still had a lot of power in moments...(eg twat screams in japan). Sometimes seemed to resort to screaming out parts that arn't normally screamed...eg that version of nighttrain where he yells nearly the whole first verse in the raspy voice. I think was using it to just power through parts that were stressful to sing cleanly.

In 2011/12 - return to less rasp, screams tend to be clean and much shorter in length...seems to have less breath control than on previous tours.

No disrespect to him...that's just what I'm hearing if I'm honest....don't mean to bash axl though I believe he could still write and release amazing music...I'm just saying if you want to play 10 boots of nighttrain back to back from different eras I can hear these changes happen...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Yes, My review was spot on of how I felt. U also have to keep it in context that i saw one of my all time heroes of 25 years for the first time ever like 10 feet from me and heard all the great songs i've grown up with.

so sure, def overwhelmed afterwards.

Now though, seeing they are supposed to be Moving Forward and still doing exact same show I saw, I am no longer a believer anymore.

Plus, YT on some of the ones here don't lie cause he simply has been standing in place ALOT more.

maybe the injuries or what not and his voice def doesnt sound like it did back in Nov.

I don't fault you for being all emotional with your review.  I just don't see a vast difference between youtube vids of today and last year.  Yet some people are acting like Axl has aged 20 years overnight.  I think it has more to do with frustration, than low quality performances.  You, and others, have admitted as much.  The Hall Snub, the lack of forward progress.  I get it, it can grate on people.

I said it before, I give them till this fall after this tour ends.  If there aren't signs of progression by then, even I may be at my wits end with this saga.

I think labeling all the Axl criticism that fans are butthurt after the RRHOF drama is getting old.

Fact is he aged more between 2006-7 and 2011-12, than between 2001-2 and 2006-7. He needs heavy doses of oxygen between the songs to even have him stand on the stage. Happens in life, especially in his age. Fact is that his voice is thin and doesn't have power. Fact is he's limited to less registers. Fact is that in most cases he seems to doesn't give a shit and wants to be somewhere else. Can it change? I do hope it. Time will tell. But if his latest performances are 'on point' than the future will not be bright.

Again, that's all well and good, you don't think he's sounded good for awhile now.  But people who saw him just last year thought he sounded great.  People who have seen him this tour haven't had complaints, at least from what I have read.  So I don't think the situation is as dire as some like to paint it to be.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think a lot of people going to see him now have different standards and expectations too.  Sounding great compared to what?  The album?  Not a chance.  Other 50 year old singers?  Okay.  What he used to sound like?  Depends on the day.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think a lot of people going to see him now have different standards and expectations too.  Sounding great compared to what?  The album?  Not a chance.  Other 50 year old singers?  Okay.  What he used to sound like?  Depends on the day.

And the time of day and which song. Axl is more hit and miss now than ever and it shows within each song

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Oh sure.  When I went to see them in November, my friends expected the worst.  They were all pleasantly surprised with how good Axl sounded.  Now who's to say if they would have felt that way if the expected him to sound good.  But it's certainly better than the alternative, "yep, he sounded like shit, just like I expected".

Board footer