You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Gods of Metal June 22nd

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

Just being honest here; watching live clips of this band is fucking boring anymore. Honestly how long can fans eat up a cover band of a cover band playing Guns N' Roses songs. I'm not saying it to be an ass I'm just saying it because it's true. As fans of a band this has reached epic proportions of pathetic sadness regardless of what anyone thinks of the quality of the performances. It's just getting more and more lame each and every day.

I agree, that's why I haven't watched many clips from this tour.  I watched the Izzy clips, because those were different.  But you're right, I can't get all amped up to watch Jungle for the 400th time.  Especially when they're not touring anywhere around me.  If they were in the US it would be different, as I would have the chance to see them live.  But I'm not flying to Europe anytime soon, and the setlists have become as static as ever it seems, so I hardly even check to see what they played.  I just assume it's the norm, if something different is played, I'll read about it later.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Considering the setlist got posted about 5 days after the event, I'm guessing your not alone.  Nobody cares unless you're there.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Considering the setlist got posted about 5 days after the event, I'm guessing your not alone.  Nobody cares unless you're there.

They played a show tonight, and I haven't checked the setlist.  Assuming it's the same.  I think you can only tour for so long too, fans are obviously excited when a tour starts.  And they toured the US for the first time in 5 years, so that was exciting.  But now it's BACK to Europe when they were just there last year, still playing virtually the same songs.  I think most of the fans are worn out on this tour and we ALL want something different.  That's why I'm waiting to see what happens at the end of the tour.  For once, I don't want to see more tour dates for the fall and winter.  Get in the studio and finish up that album.  Then we can talk touring.

With that being said, I'm sure people will continue having a blast seeing them play live.  I just can't get into it anymore from the comfort of my own home.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Every fanbase suffers with tour burnout these days thaks to the internet however changing up the setlist goes a LONG way. U2 toured in 2009, 2010 & 2011 on their 360 tour but at least their set list changed drastically. Here's a sample of it and it shows just how damn lazy Guns N' Roses has been. U2's album came out in 2009 yet they managed to competely change their setlist over the course of the tour not to mention debuting 6 new songs that have not yet been recorded. Funny how not only does Gn'R not change up the songs they rarely if ever even change the order of the songs. It's embarassing to be honest.

1st show in 2009: Barcelona, Spain - 22 songs, * 6 of which were not in the setlist at the end of 2011

* Breathe
* No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Movin' On Up (snippet)
* Angel Of Harlem / Man In The Mirror (snippet) / Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (snippet)
* In A Little While
* Unknown Caller
* The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
* MLK
Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

ENCORES:
* Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
With Or Without You
Moment of Surrender

Last show 2011: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada - 27 songs, * 13 of which were not in the setlist at the start of 2009

* Even Better Than The Real Thing
* The Fly
* Mysterious Ways
* Until The End Of The World / Anthem (snippet)
* I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Springhill Mining Disaster (snippet)
* Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Beautiful Day / Space Oddity (snippet)
* Elevation
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
* Miss Sarajevo
* Zooropa
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo / It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) (snippet)
Miss You (snippet) /
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / Life During Wartime (snippet) / Psycho Killer (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
* Scarlet
Walk On

ENCORE:
One /Hallelujah (snippet)
Where The Streets Have No Name
* Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
With Or Without You / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
Moment of Surrender
* Out Of Control
* 40 / The Aaronic Blessing (snippet)

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Bono wrote:

Honestly how long can fans eat up a cover band of a cover band playing Guns N' Roses songs.

Take Paradise City.

Bumble's solo is going to be reminiscent of Bucket's solo...which was itself a rearrangement of Slash's version. In a way it's like this line up covers the arrangements of the 2002 era line up.

Then it's compounded by Axl's voice having problems and the emphasis on the old material.

Ideally we'd get totally new music...but to me the band comes alive even on the CD era tracks....at least it sure gets my interest a lot more...I'd rather hear Shackler, Twat, Prostitute, IRS etc than UYI or AFD tracks from them. At least the CD era tracks are designed for a form of the modern band...even if DJ is the new robin....

Cos the problem with AFD tracks is it's not the AFD band, it's not the UYI era band, it's not the 2002 era band, it's like the 5th generation or something of the band playing but they're always playing gen 1 songs.

And those songs didn't have pitman parts or 8 people in the band or whatever...so at best you're getting these giant 2002 era orchestrations of the songs...which were themselves covers....and then the only surviving link to the thing they are replicating is Axl....and his voice is not in form at the moment....so it becomes odd to hear band version 5 with Axl at 1/3 his normal ability performing songs recorded 30 years ago...

When they could be busting out the CD era songs, or better yet, start a new era of music with the current guys...god knows the talent is there and assembled.  Not to many kids can play like bumble. Frank is a mofo of a drummer. Richard is solid as fuck for rhythms. DJ has the sensibilities of an old 80s scene player yet busts out modern rock riffs and solos...together it could be really fantastic material..as say what u want about Axl...he's a fucker of a great composer....but I'm not saying anything we don't know.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Likewise for Slash, PLEEEEAZE stop playing SCOM and PC on the tour...they are fucking boring as hell.

I suspect Slash's fans are a little less vanilla than GNRs and are there to see his guitar playing and some of his solo work and not just the biggest and oldest GNR hits.

I think Slash should look at bringing back in  Coma, The Garden, Double Talkin' Jive and Locomotive into his set and get off the fan favs.

Its brave but ultimately worth it for GNR fans as we just don't hear many deep cuts from the UYIs anymore.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Slash would probably like to play a song like Locomotive, but that and some of the other UYI songs have so many lyrics they are probably too much for someone like Myles (or probably anybody) to sing or remember.

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

The singing difficulty I could accept but forgetting lyrics is no excuse.

Even me, when I used to work as a poxy wedding singer, the guys I played with were 25 year pro-musicians and they maintained that forgetting lyrics is unacceptable.

Locomotive doesn't sound too difficult for a singer like Myles who seems to know his craft . Breathing and pace would be important and since the guy barely fucking moves on stage he should be fine with anything Axl wrote.

I reckon Slash is just trying to give the crowd what he thinks they want. If I was him I'd go deep cuts and leave the other staples to Axl.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't mind classic hits to the extent slash does it...like a handful of songs....I'd have no problem if Axl played a whole bunch of chinese or a new album plus SCOM, Jungle and PC.

Slash plays a heavy rotation from the 2010 album and now from AL....so it's nice to the finish up with a few GNR tracks also.

That's the difference though...with GNR the newest thing you'll hear is 2008 material...and some of that is stuff that's really 2001 material in terms of live gigs (eg Street of Dreams, Madagascar)....but with slash sure he plays a bit of AFD as well...but then there's a ton os songs from 2010 and 2012.

Forward movement.

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

I've banned myself from AFD and UYI staples right now - just BORED of them.

Now with Slash & Axl playing the same songs at the same festivals...its plain overkill.

Of course both men are chasing the younger demograph at these gigs who can start buying their albums all over again

Board footer