You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Stupid Question: Better

johndivney wrote:

Yowza. You're crazy!

Sky Dog wrote:

It's obviously a better album and no question AFD is their masterpiece but the lyrics are pretty pedestrian compared to the Illusions and CD.....much more emotional depth on those.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think Chinese Democracy has amazing lyrics.

Street of Dreams, This I love, Catcher in the Rye....really capture those feelings....lyrically there's high points and low as there is on AFD and UYI.

I've said this before but in terms of Axl's contribution to the record - vocal melodies, vocal performance and lyrics - I think CD is amongst his best work - it's at least on par with his prior stuff.

As an overall album - well - it's different because of the change in style and the obvious absence of the others - but in Terms of Axl's parts....they're just as good. You know if you added Slash/Duff etc to any of the modern songs you'd have something that resembled the old songs.

Sky Dog wrote:

Slash and Izzy...huge difference. Duff and Tommy are pretty similar.

johndivney wrote:

AFD's lyrics are at least a billion times Better than CD's.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
johndivney wrote:

AFD's lyrics are at least a billion times Better than CD's.

Different times, different lives. I think that most of CD'S lyrics are good to pretty good. CD, Better, SoD, TWAT, Madagascar, Prostitute... they all tell the story of Axl's mental and emotional state pretty accurate.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Better was played on the radio? Seriously? I would have expected that 80s remake of 'The Twist' with Chubby Checker and The Fat Boys before hearing Better.

As far as CD's lyrics go, they're "weaker" because he's running in circles that he had run in on the Illusions. Technically they're not that weak but considering he's jaded and approaching 50, there should be much more to discuss. We've been through the "Erin/Steph/whomever the fuck left me and I'm mad" bullshit. Let's hear something else.

There's some damn good lyrics buried on CD but my point stands. CITR is probably the album's high point lyrically. He veered away from his comfort zone on that one. I'd like to see him step out of his comfort zone on one full album. It'll never happen though.

Sky Dog wrote:

I love Catcher's lyrics.

Board footer