You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: DJ ASHBA: Writing New Material Is 'Definitely Our Main Focus Right Now

Mikkamakka wrote:

3 years... the entire recording career of Jimi Hendrix...

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

If the start from scratch, then this CD II journey will be as long as the CD saga. On the other hand releasing the 1998-2002 BH/Finck/Freese/Mantia stuff in 201x would be ridiculous.

No more ridiculous than releasing it in 2008.

Well, CD was 4(+) years 'fresher' in 2008 than its successor can be if that's old material again. I get your point though. If they wrote an album when Bumble joined, even that would be old material by now.

Sky Dog wrote:

unbelievable isn't it.....3 monster albums for Jimi actually just in two years...'67 Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold As Love...'68 Electric Ladyland

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

If the start from scratch, then this CD II journey will be as long as the CD saga. On the other hand releasing the 1998-2002 BH/Finck/Freese/Mantia stuff in 201x would be ridiculous.

Well, CD was 4(+) years 'fresher' in 2008 than its successor can be if that's old material again. I get your point though. If they wrote an album when Bumble joined, even that would be old material by now.

Did you feel this way about You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry and November Rain, just to name a few, when they were released in 91, given they were written in 85, BEFORE Appetite?

Sky Dog wrote:

I still haven't heard or seen any concrete proof that YCBM was written before AFD. I know the one lyric is in the liner notes but that doesn't prove anything. Is there an AFD demo of YCBM like there is of November Rain and Don't Cry. I don't think there is.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Did you feel this way about You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry and November Rain, just to name a few, when they were released in 91, given they were written in 85, BEFORE Appetite?

I suspect they were still pretty raw by the time they came to record uyi. Whatever Axl has left in the vault there are probably 25 versions of each song, mixed, mastered, remixed.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The difference I see (regardless of what was written before) is that almost all of it was written by the guys that recorded it.  Not so much if there's another album from those sessions.  Some of those guys have been gone for a decade.  Think about that...

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Wrong. Only DC was written in 1985. NR had earlier origins, but it was completed after AFD. YCBM didn't make AFD for the sole reason it wasn't done.
BTW Axl felt that DC was too old and from another life when they worked on it for the UYIs, so he wrote new lyrics which he preferred to the original.

otto

otto wrote:

Please describe "completed" or "earlier origins".

There's piano and acoustic versions of November Rain from the era before Appetite was recorded. If you say it's only completed after the horns and strings arrangements, perhaps that's the same with all CD era songs and vault, since they're all full of it? We'll never know, to be honest. It was mentioned on interviews that You Could Be Mine was kept for future releases and was ready to AFD.

"Completed" is a term that means different things for you, for me and, surprisingly, even for Axl.

If you want just to bash, it's ok, but don't try to act like you're not being almost irrational on your arguments just to try to prove a point.

And, still, you didn't reply my question. wink

otto

otto wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The difference I see (regardless of what was written before) is that almost all of it was written by the guys that recorded it.  Not so much if there's another album from those sessions.  Some of those guys have been gone for a decade.  Think about that...

Yeah, that's a shame. It feels like a crooner album, kinda like Sinatra, in some form. It kinda loses the 'feel' and the raw to it and I completely agree with you.

Board footer