You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: DJ ASHBA: Writing New Material Is 'Definitely Our Main Focus Right Now

Sky Dog wrote:

it sounds like a solo album...period.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'd gladly listen to anything from the vault.

I don't give a fuck if it's got people who quit the band 10 years ago on it - it's not like that was the sacrosanct original line up anyway.

Meanwhile the older the vocal recording the more likely Axl sounds like himself on it.

Bring some vault on...it's nearly finished FFS - better than starting over.

I'd love new tracks from the new band as well, but if DJ and Bumble wrote a completed masterpiece of a song tonight, what's the minimum time for Axl to record the vocals? UYI was 2 years from instrumental to vocalsAnd that was back when the label and the industry and the band would have pressured to make it happen fast....these days...there's nothing.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

sometimes i think Axl tells DJ this to appease him so he doesn't get bored and quit like Finck

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

We will NEVER and I do repeat NEVER get a GNR album with this lineup exclusively

Record label will never fund this so Axl may be able to rework, record new stuff over existing vault stuff, but he will not get the label to fund an album from scratch.

Remember, these old school bands got HUGE contracts back when people bought records, so labels lose their ass everytime a band releases a new cd unless they are a big time worldwide sensation.

nobody will buy an exclusive on this again, so its either release the already paid for vault stuff or go fuck yourself.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

why record new music when you can make more money traveling around the world, drinking pina coladas on the beach and you get to finish the day off with a broadway inspired, Guns N Roses 3 hour cabaret act....life must be nice.

Yeah, the urgency for releasing a new album isn't exactly at an all time high for Axl I'd venture to guess.  Record sales don't bring the big bucks, touring does.  Hence, this 3 year tour they've been on.  Chinese Democracy didn't exactly set the world on fire sales wise, another reason there doesn't seem to be a rush to get the follow up out.  And as good as this lineup is, and as cohesive as they seem, the general public could care less about new music from them.  The record company certainly knows that, and I think deep down, Axl does too.

Sky Dog wrote:

yep...nice post Faldor and D too....good posts all around. At some point, Axl needs to decide whether he wants to be an artist or a commercial whore. If he wants to be an artist, then he needs to get out of his contract and go independent. It is a very tough road to travel if you think you can do both in this music industry climate.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

faldor wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

why record new music when you can make more money traveling around the world, drinking pina coladas on the beach and you get to finish the day off with a broadway inspired, Guns N Roses 3 hour cabaret act....life must be nice.

Yeah, the urgency for releasing a new album isn't exactly at an all time high for Axl I'd venture to guess.  Record sales don't bring the big bucks, touring does.  Hence, this 3 year tour they've been on.  Chinese Democracy didn't exactly set the world on fire sales wise, another reason their doesn't seem to be a rush to get the follow up out.  And as good as this lineup is, and as cohesive as they seem, the general public could care less about new music from them.  The record company certainly knows that, and I think deep down, Axl does too.

Makes perfect sense. I know they want to record music; but since there was so much money wrapped into a deal with CD for over a decade it's tough to release or record anything new without getting screwed by the label. You are right on the money with these points. Personally Axl should just use his Black Frog label after this touring ends and then go independent.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I havn't seen the contracts, but I would suspect he can't go independent until they release another album.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

yep...nice post Faldor and D too....good posts all around. At some point, Axl needs to decide whether he wants to be an artist or a commercial whore. If he wants to be an artist, then he needs to get out of his contract and go independent. It is a very tough road to travel if you think you can do both in this music industry climate.

I think his ego may have the best of him, where he might not be able to accept that Guns can't be (and hasn't been for some time) as big as they once were.  Obviously the landscape of the business has changed drastically over the years so it's impossible to be as big as back in the day, and I think that's accepted, even by Axl.  But I don't know if he wants to give max effort going forward to push this band because chances are it won't meet his own expectations.  Could partially be a reason he was basically in hiding when CD came out.  Sales were respectable considering they did no promo to support it, but even if they did there's no guarantee it would have made a huge difference.

Like you alluded to, Axl has to change his perception and accept things for what they are at this point.  This band is not going to set the world ablaze like they did in the late 80's and early 90's.  It just ain't happening.  They can still headline festivals on the strength of the brand and put on solid shows, without incident mind you, for the most part.  Swallow some pride and be willing to accept the consequences.  Not exactly the definition I'd use to describe Axl Rose, however.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

Please describe "completed" or "earlier origins".

There's piano and acoustic versions of November Rain from the era before Appetite was recorded. If you say it's only completed after the horns and strings arrangements, perhaps that's the same with all CD era songs and vault, since they're all full of it? We'll never know, to be honest. It was mentioned on interviews that You Could Be Mine was kept for future releases and was ready to AFD.

"Completed" is a term that means different things for you, for me and, surprisingly, even for Axl.

If you want just to bash, it's ok, but don't try to act like you're not being almost irrational on your arguments just to try to prove a point.

And, still, you didn't reply my question. wink

If you think that NR acoustic demo was anywhere near to a complete song then we don't have the common ground to discuss it. That was a demo. Only a few cords and nothing more. Musicians write a lot of stuff, but most of them are only ideas that need to be worked out. There isn't anything that'd suggest that YCBM was done. In fact, they said that it wasn't done, hence it didn't make the album. Yes, Back Off Bitch was an old song, the original DC and Bad Obsesseion, too. But most of the stuff wasn't older than 3 years. In today's GN'R's case, the fresh songs were written in 2004.

Board footer