You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Superman Thread.

These next few weeks need to come sooner! Fuck! 17 So awesome!

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:

I'm a big Superman fan, I'm definitely going to go see this, and I agree with everyone that the previews look awesome.  That said, am I the only one annoyed that we're getting another Superman origin story?  He's the most recognizable superhero with the most well known origin, it doesn't need to be retold and it sucks that we're going to have to sit through it again to finally get to something new and awesome.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

A bunch of us in the office were saying the same thing 20 mins ago. Movie looks awesome, but let's just drop in to metropolis and see supes in action. No need for the origin this time around.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

Yeah. I liked how they did the Incredible Hulk reboot, the new origin was just a quick montage during the opening credits. I hope they don't spend to much time on it for MOS, but I have a bad feeling that its going to be half the movie.

smoke

smoke wrote:

Fair enough on the Hulk, but the best Hulk movie ever made was The Avengers. smile It's amazing they couldn't make a good standalone. My opinion only, of course.

What bugs me about the origin stories are 1) they're wasteful. If the origin is established, and you're not doing much to deviate from it, you're just wasting a hunk of your ~2 hours. 2) they strike me as lazy in some cases, like Superman. When everyone knows the origin already, it seems like you're writing a Superman-by-numbers story, where you have to hit all the "points".

Regardless, I still think the trailers look awesome, so I won't complain too much unless the movie sucks for some reason.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

Hey man, it's Superman, I'll watch it. I didn't care for Superman Returns that much but still went to see it twice.

As for Hulk, I actually liked both stand alone movies, but agree avengers was the best. Nothing beats Hulk smashing the "puny god".

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

The main reason Synder wanted to do the origin story in the movie was he wanted this film in general to be a Superman film where it doesn't take into account any of the original films. Returns was going back and referencing the Donner films quite frequently.  He's making it like this was the first true Supes film with Nolan's watchful eye of course. I think it may go into more depth on Krypton and not much on Kal-El's childhood in Smallville. Like you guys mentioned perhaps only a little while, 15-20 minutes max. Maybe a half hour when it goes into that part where he's on the fishing boat and then learning his true calling.  Depends. I'm sure it will be amazing and edited nicely none the less. Yeah..re-done origin stories bug me too from time to time.

I agree that the Avengers was the best thing for Hulk even though I thought the 2008 film was pretty good and the 2003 one with Eric Bana has it's good parts.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Superman Returns is a good movie in terms of special effects and Kevin Spacey makes a great Lex.

I hated Spacey as Lex, I hate Spacey. I just hate his face, he's got one of those faces you just want to punch for no reason. There was allot wrong with the movie, but Spacey as Lex is what ruined it for me. 16 But also, I was annoyed they Used Lex as the villain again. He was already used in 3 films before it, it's not like Superman doesn't have other villains. I wanted to see Brainiac, or Doomsday, or the Parasite, hell I'd even take Mr. Mxyzptlk over another Luthor flick.

Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

Definitely better than the crap that is III and IV. Those movies are unwatchable. Despite Reeves intentions for IV.

I actually like 3. Richard Pryor was halarious, and it was cool seeing Clark back in Smallville, Lana was hot. 4 was my favorite when I was a kid, because I thought nuclear man was bad ass. While I don't argue that it was a crap movie, I have a soft spot for it.

smoke

smoke wrote:

I liked 3 a lot, but I was a kid so what did I know. Still think it's funny, but it's totally "of its time."

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I'm excited for a new spin on the origins. Movie will be well over 2 hours so I am not worried. They are following the batman formula. Total reboot. Plus I think they are focusing more on the "alien" aspect of his origin and how that effects earth and supes more so then the original. And maybe more adult Clark before he becomes superman. So we will prolly get a totally revamp origin.

Beside the origin story is necessary so that the next movies can pick right up just like TDK series. It would just seem like a part of all the other superman movies if it didn't start from the beginning.

Board footer