You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

Sky Dog wrote:

Weezer isn't better than Nirvana. Come on. You can make a solid argument for REM/Stipe though.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Weezer isn't better than Nirvana. Come on. You can make a solid argument for REM/Stipe though.

All a matter of opinion I guess.  Me I'd prefer listening to Weezer.  At least lately.  And while we're discussing.  I'd even say that Dave Grohl is better than Cobain.  Yeah I said it.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Grohl IS better than Cobain. Morbid as it is, I sometimes wonder if Grohl would have ever reached his potential if Kurt hadn't died. And not just The Foos. All of his side projects guesting and producing for others, The Crooked Vultures... Would he have had his fingers in so many pies if Nirvana was an ongoing concern? Don't know.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Is this not like arguing over guitars, cars, food, women or anything that needs to incorporate personal taste?

Sky Dog wrote:

I use the 4 finger test to try to objectively judge bands/artists-

1.instrumentation/lyrics
2.influence
3.sales/popularity
4.critical acclaim

I think Nirvana takes Weezer in all 4 spots...better songs and music, more popular...much more influential and critically acclaimed. It's a no brainer.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
smoke wrote:

Grohl IS better than Cobain. Morbid as it is, I sometimes wonder if Grohl would have ever reached his potential if Kurt hadn't died. And not just The Foos. All of his side projects guesting and producing for others, The Crooked Vultures... Would he have had his fingers in so many pies if Nirvana was an ongoing concern? Don't know.

I was going to say that Cobain wasn't even the most talented in Nirvana, but I was trying not to be too disrespectful to the Cobain lovers.

smoke

smoke wrote:

Of course, and in my opinion, that should be a given. But I also think sometimes we have to consciously try to separate our personal tastes in order to be as "objective" as is possible in matter like these.

That's why people can say, for example, Billy Joel belongs in the mix, even if they don't personally like him.

smoke

smoke wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
smoke wrote:

I was going to say that Cobain wasn't even the most talented in Nirvana, but I was trying not to be too disrespectful to the Cobain lovers.

And like you, I don't mean any disrespect either. I like Cobain. It's just that literally NO ONE had any idea at the time of what a friggin juggernaut Grohl was, other than being a beast on the drums. That really only came about well after his death. Well after the first Foos album, too.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I use the 4 finger test-
1.instrumentation/lyrics
2.influence
3.sales/popularity
4.critical acclaim

I think Nirvana takes Weezer in all 4 spots...better songs and music, more popular...much more influential and critically acclaimed. It's a no brainer.

I agree for the most part (at least on 2 - 4), but I still think Rivers is a better songwriter than Cobain.  I'd also say while Weezer isn't what I think of as a guitar band, Cobain couldn't have played most of their material with the skill level he had on guitar.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Kinda like Roger Waters being a "terrible bassist and singer" by his own admission and being half tone deaf.

I think Weezer had the catchier hooks...ha.

Board footer