You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Re: 2012 London Olympic Games

Bro-mero wrote:

Anyone see the opening ceremonies?

Felt too much like a broadway musical than an Olympic ceremony, too whimsical IMO

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Wow, surprised there wasn't a bunch more talk about the Olympics on this site??!  Being you all dabble in sports & alot of you are Brits.

Anyway, I thought (and the general consensus seemed) they were fantastic and London did an excellent job with them.  IMHO won't topple China, I think they were the best in a long time.  London was kinda China2.0 in alot of story lines (Phelps again, Usain Bolt again etc), but I thought they had some great storylines.  Beach Volleyball, Rowing, Gymnastics, the slowest boater who finished, guy broke his femur on the relay, Chinese girl beat Locthes final 2 laps time in IM. GB did great, heard the Aussies are upset at their poor showing & are forming a committee to improve for Rio 16.  So glad it's in Rio, no offense to Chicagoans, but it would have been lame there.  Much better internationally for another round or two, then myb come back to US.

Kudos all.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

Haha thanks for posting!

johndivney wrote:

Think NBC fucked up so badly the Yanks lost interest.

I've found them to be perhaps the best games of my lifetime, the most entertaining.

I'm usually not keen on British shows but I thought their opening ceremony was really good: funny, warm & welcoming. Nicer than the brutal impersonal show of strength of the admittedly impressive Chinese one.

However this closing ceremony has been absolutely fucking gash. P much everything that's embarrassing & wrong w/Britain. Absolutely shite shite music & performances & cheesey rubbish. After such a successful games it seems like a step backwards into little Britain a salute to dad rock & tat. Horrible stuff.

The actual sport was just amazing tho. So so many brilliant moments.

johndivney wrote:

Russell Brand, Ed Sheeran, Elbow... this is really bad.

Only the spice girls can save us now!

Rumour has it they're gonna have a Freddie mercury hologram. But even that seems a little too classy & forward thinking for this shit.

johndivney wrote:

This is really embarrassing, cringe-inducing guff. Cheap & nasty. It's not even funny!

Well it kinda is, but it's a really painful funny. It's like please make it stop!

johndivney wrote:

Fuckin Liam. Man he's still got 'it'. The only one who deserves to be in a stadium full of people singing. He's been the only star of the show.
Bit rich calling it beady eye & singing a Noel song tho. But hardly the biggest crime of the night. & like I say he's the only one at home on such a stage. Quality.

johndivney wrote:

They shoulda just let Muse do the whole thing really.

Ok they've sucked a fat one since Origin of Symmetry but at least they're suitably epic, loud & fun.

johndivney wrote:

Holy fuck.

That was really bad.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

They don't air the Closing Ceremonies here in the US (east coast) for another half hour, but it doesn't sound like I need to glue myself to the TV from those reviews.

Board footer