You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: 2012 NFL Season

misterID wrote:

If you're trying to be really understanding, the rules say that when it's a simultaneous catch the offensive player gets the catch. So, that's probably what the guy was thinking.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

To be fair, the regular refs probably blow that call too.  It's virtually impossible real-time to call it and the replay by rule can't overturn it even if it clearly shows someone possessed it first based on what they said on TV.

I'd also say GB never scores a TD without help from the refs, so while this play gets all the attention, it is not why GB lost the game.

Why can't that play be overturned?  If that's the case, why even review it?  All questionable scoring plays are reviewed, and it was quite clear that it wasn't a TD.  Therefore I don't see how it couldn't have been overturned.

That missed call clearly determined the outcome of the game.  I know you love it, being a Bear fan.  But that's truly embarassing.

Oh, and not to mention, the offensive PI that was missed on the play as well.  Bottom line, the refs wanted to walk out of the stadium alive, so they called it a TD and stuck with it.

Even the people whining on TV said the regular refs wouldn't have called PI there.  As to why it can't be overturned by replay, I don't know.  I know there are clear things that can and can't be and apparently whether it was a simultaneous catch or not is one that can't according to the experts.  The refs walk out either way - the GB fans were as loud as the Sea fans were (on TV at least).  From what I understand, they are in touch with the league when looking at replay - I would assume the league would tell them if they are allowed to determine who caught the ball.

Look, I don't know if they got it right or not by rule.  I don't.  What I do know is GB could have avoided the whole situation by playing better and the refs helped GB out as well.  I'd be pissed if I were a Packer fan.  I'm not thrilled as an NFL fan.  Refs got calls wrong all weekend - even plays they reviewed.  I don't expect this to change anything either in regards to getting the regular refs back either, and I've been calling for them for several weeks on FB.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

If you're trying to be really understanding, the rules say that when it's a simultaneous catch the offensive player gets the catch. So, that's probably what the guy was thinking.

But did the offensive player ever have the ball (or come close to catching it), it seemed like he just tried to rip the ball out of the db's arm after the db established the catch(int).

misterID wrote:

If Ireland is fired, which I hope he is, and they bring in a new GM, I can't see them not making a play for Cowher. A lot of people don't know, but Fisher really wanted to come to Miami, but Ireland refused to give him control over draft picks, FAs and personnel, which is why he picked a guy who he could basically push around.

I think you're blaming the wrong guy here.  Ross should be the target of your ire.  He's the guy who refused to fire Ireland.  They could have easily just hired some personnel guy (like STL did) and give Fisher full personnel powers.

Plus there are some other advantages that STL had.  A far softer media market than media which is less likely to question Fisher's coaching moves.

I don't really see them firing Philbin unless they really tank.  I'm talking 3 wins or less.

Miami just seems to be a 5-7 win team.  That'll buy him another year probably.

Ireland will be gone.  I liked the Vontae Davis trade though.  Probably picked up a high second rounder with that trade.  And they have another 3rd rounder from the Bears I think.  It'll give the next GM decent draft and trade ammo.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yes, they'll win just enough games to keep Irleand.

I'm just watching on NFL network about the rule and yeah, it's an INT.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

Yes, they'll win just enough games to keep Irleand.

I'm just watching on NFL network about the rule and yeah, it's an INT.

Well, the NFL disagrees with you and their network apparently.  And everybody that I've seen giving an opinion can't support changing the decision with fact, only opinion. 

I don't even necessarily disagree that they got it wrong.  But I don't know the rule by the letter of the law, and even if I did, I still don't know that if the call of TD was made on the field that there was enough to overturn it.  Remember, to overturn it, it has to be clear irrefutable evidence.  I don't think it's there if the simultaneous possession rule cannot be challanged.  While it looked like the defender had the ball, the receiver also clearly had a hand under the call and another that was on the ball for the majority of the time.  Can one arm under the ball trump 2 around it?  I don't know.  As I've said all night...I don't know the letter of the law.  The replay official (not a replacement ref btw) does.  I have to believe that they got the call right given the circumstances and based on what they were allowed to review.  If not, we'll find out tomorrow, and I will be right there with everyone else saying the Packers got screwed by the refs on that play.  I will still say it's not why they lost the game.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Seems the Green Bay Packers are the first team in NFL history to start the season 
1-1-WTF

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Bono wrote:

Seems the Green Bay Packers are the first team in NFL history to start the season 
1-1-WTF

That I'll agree with.  Regardless of the rules and whether they were interpreted correctly or not, that was a pretty screwed up game before that play happened.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Obviously Green Bay didn't play very well last night. 8 sacks in one half clearly shows that. They still got screwed though and they did lose because of that horrible call. Sure they could have made other plays along the way, but you could say that for any game. This was the LAST play of the game. Kind of hard to recover from that.

People are comparing this to the "tuck rule". I'm obviously a little biased being a Patriot fan, but I think that play/rule last night was far worse. The tuck rule is a rule, stupid as it may seem. But that play last night, no explanation can warrant how it was called. You can't overturn "simultaneous catch". Okay, even though it clearly wasn't simultaneous, I'll accept that. But it clearly should not have been called a TD after review. Why review the play if it can't be reversed? They should have just ran off the field like the night before in the Pats/Ravens game. They couldn't review that FG because there weren't cameras properly positioned to get a good view. So they ran right off the field. So, I ask again, what in the hell were they reviewing last night if they couldn't reverse the call? Makes no sense.

I'll cut the refs a little slack with these end of game calls. I've never seen games end like this. It would be difficult for the real refs too. But the horrendous officiating throughout the league only accentuates how awful this is on the whole.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

It only clearly wasn't a simultaneous catch because we could see 3000 replays of it.  They had to make a call in real-time.  Anyone that says watching it live that it was clearly an interception either has the greatest eyes in the history of the world or is not telling the truth.  When I saw it live, I thought the defender had it high in the air, but when they came down, clearly both players had 2 hands on the ball.  I didn't know what the call was going to be.  Simultaneous catch came to mind immdiately, and the offense wins those.  Perhaps that's what the officials thought.  Perhaps they thought that replay could overturn it and they didn't even worry about getting the call right (what I think happened).  Once that call was made, the option to overturn it as not being a simultaneous catch apparently was not there via replay.  The refs got it wrong assuming the rule reads the way people say it does, but it's still a judgement call on the field.  I think they should have been able to change the call, but the rules are what they are.  I think the regular refs would have had trouble with the call too, but at least they would have gotten together before making a call instead of making conflicting ones and never clarifying the stance (that I saw at least).

All scoring plays are reviewed.  That's why it went to review.  Reviews can only look at certain things apparently.  That part isn't on the replacement refs.

As for the notion that they lost because of the call, that's flat out wrong.  They lost because they scored less points than Seattle.  I didn't see any of the first half and joined late in the 3rd quarter.  GB got their share of calls as well, and only got a TD thanks to bad calls from the refs.  Had they settled for a FG instead of getting the TD they shouldn't have had, the end result would have been the same assuming the K makes the long FG.  Had GB converted the 2-pt play, the game would have been tied after the blown call.  Absolutely that call hurt, but it did not single handedly cost them the game.  The Packers cost themselves that game, and when the smoke clears, they will tell you that as well if they are being honest about it.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Although the Packers didn't play their best last night, I'm not going to say that bad call didn't cost them the game. The packers got into position in the 2nd half and made adjustments. Adjustments that got them into position to win. They succeeded in running the ball when they needed to. Seattle, if I'm not mistaken, has one of the league's top running defenses. That drive by Aaron Rodgers that SHOULD'VE won them the game was masterful. That's the kind of thing that separates the boys from the men in the NFL. I'm a Packers fan, but I'm not gonna be bitter about this all season. It's just one game with an EXTREMELY shitty call, but we'll overcome, or we won't. Simple as that. I do hope this is a kind of wake up call for the NFL. We need our officials back. These replacements just ain't cuttin it, and it has been made apparent game after game.

So, congrats to Seattle. I'm ready for some more football!

Board footer