You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: 2012 NFL Season

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

gb/seattle

i still haven't seen a replay with the angle that the ref had that ruled it a catch and he was right on top of it. there is nothing to indicate blatancy. by rule it comes down to the ref's opinion whether or not the catch was simultaneous and I see nothing other than people's opinions stating that it wasn't. From what I see it was an INT but I wasn't 2 feet from the play when it happened.

I never said anything about the refs missing a  blatant INT. they missed a blatant and incredibly  obvious and not too mention "Hard foul" type of offensive pass interference on that play.

I can understand how the refs may have not gotten the INT right in that split second but to miss such an obvious pass interfernce against Seattle on that same play by Golden Tate is inexcusable.

buzzsaw wrote:

GB got their TD as a result of bad calls as well.  Had they settled for a FG as they should have on the TD drive, Seattle kicks a game winning FG.  But let's not let that get in the way of ripping the refs.

I'm glad to see we found the one person with perfect vision.  You start work for the NFL next week.  The TV guys didn't call it an interception either, then backtracked as though they knew it from the beginning on the replays.  All the radio calls too.  Glad they all missed it but you saw it crystal clear.

Calm the fuck down. You're the one who said anyone who thinks it was an obvious interception is a lier or has the worlds best vision. there's a reason why the sports world is up in arms over the call. it's up to you to understand why . When I saw it happen live on tv I was 100% sure it was an INT and I still feel it was without question. you can believe me or not I don't give a shit.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Today must just be a day full of irony.  I dub this Irony Day from this moment forward.

Bono telling someone to calm down...classic.  Speaking of irony, I've been looking for an excuse to post this, so here it goes:

Sky Dog wrote:

Falcons 3-0...nuff said. Keep being bitches...bitches.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Bono telling someone to calm down...classic.

Lol! Happy irony day!

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Awesome video, but its a complete replica of a scene from Family Guy

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It only clearly wasn't a simultaneous catch because we could see 3000 replays of it.  They had to make a call in real-time.  Anyone that says watching it live that it was clearly an interception either has the greatest eyes in the history of the world or is not telling the truth.  When I saw it live, I thought the defender had it high in the air, but when they came down, clearly both players had 2 hands on the ball.  I didn't know what the call was going to be.  Simultaneous catch came to mind immdiately, and the offense wins those.  Perhaps that's what the officials thought.  Perhaps they thought that replay could overturn it and they didn't even worry about getting the call right (what I think happened).  Once that call was made, the option to overturn it as not being a simultaneous catch apparently was not there via replay.  The refs got it wrong assuming the rule reads the way people say it does, but it's still a judgement call on the field.  I think they should have been able to change the call, but the rules are what they are.  I think the regular refs would have had trouble with the call too, but at least they would have gotten together before making a call instead of making conflicting ones and never clarifying the stance (that I saw at least).

All scoring plays are reviewed.  That's why it went to review.  Reviews can only look at certain things apparently.  That part isn't on the replacement refs.

As for the notion that they lost because of the call, that's flat out wrong.  They lost because they scored less points than Seattle.  I didn't see any of the first half and joined late in the 3rd quarter.  GB got their share of calls as well, and only got a TD thanks to bad calls from the refs.  Had they settled for a FG instead of getting the TD they shouldn't have had, the end result would have been the same assuming the K makes the long FG.  Had GB converted the 2-pt play, the game would have been tied after the blown call.  Absolutely that call hurt, but it did not single handedly cost them the game.  The Packers cost themselves that game, and when the smoke clears, they will tell you that as well if they are being honest about it.

It CLEARLY wasn't simultaneous because Jennings CLEARLY had possession of the ball first.  Only after they came to the ground did Tate get his hands on the ball.  How exactly is that simultaneous.

And by rule, the simultaneous catch ruling WAS REVIEWABLE since it occurred in the endzone.  Yet, they STILL didn't overturn the call.  Just makes things worse.  If it weren't reviewable, then fine, it's just a stupid rule.  But how does 98% of the population see it one way, and the ruling goes the way of the 2%.

And yes, they lost because of that call in the end.  That egregious call ended the game.  A game the Packers should have won.  Could they have made more plays at other points in the game to close it out?  Yes.  Seattle could've made more plays as well to put the game out of reach.  Not sure what your point is.  You could make that argument for any team on any play.  The Seahawks had the pleasure a gift wrapped win.  I don't see any valid argument against that.

Did some bad calls go in Green Bay's favor?  Yes.  Officiating has been consistently bad against all teams.  But the worst call of all came at the end of that game and I think it played a bit of a larger part than any missed holding call or anything of the sort.

Aaron Rogers said it best.

Aaron Rodgers on NFL statement: “That’s garbage, obviously.”
By Matt Brooks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear … _blog.html

Aaron Rodgers was as brief and measured as he could force himself to be in his post-game comments after Monday’s controversial Packers-Seahawks finish in Seattle.

But on his weekly radio show on WAUK-AM (540) in Milwaukee on Tuesday, Green Bay’s All-Pro quarterback was a bit more descriptive.

He opened with an apology to the fans who are no longer getting their money’s worth and slammed the league for diminishing the “integrity of the game” by continuing to use replacement referees who are clearly unqualified and ill-prepared to officiate NFL games.

After reading the NFL’s statement upholding the touchdown call on the final play of the game that gave Seattle the win, Rodgers called the league’s explanation “garbage.”

Here are his full remarks, via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Some stuff just needs to be said. First of all, I’ve got to do something that the NFL is not going to do, and I have to apologize to the fans. Our sport is generated, a multi-billion machine, by people who pay good money to come watch us play. The product on the field is not being complemented by an appropriate set of officials. The games are getting out of control.
I said in the first week that I’m OK with replacement refs as long as they don’t have a direct impact on the game. Obviously last night there was a direct impact on the game on multiple plays. But my thing is I just feel bad for the fans. They pay good money to watch this. The game is being tarnished by an NFL that obviously cares more about saving some money than having the integrity of the game diminished a little bit. Let’s remember who we are dealing with. We’re dealing with an NFL that locked out the players and said we’re going to stand firm on our position. I don’t any owner would be too upset about the deal that finally agreed to by both sides. . . . This is an NFL that gambled on some low level referees, including the guy who makes the most important call last night, who has never had any professional experience....

These are not SEC refs who have been around NFL guys on every team, with the speed of the game. A lot of those guys are probably trying to get to the next level and are the top of the top refs. This is a multi-billion dollar operation with 16 to 17 crews of seven to eight of 35- to 50-year-old guys who want a little insurance on the back end, want to be taken care of for the job that they do, believe that their job is an important part of that shield, the NFL brand.

Rodgers read part of the NFL’s statement on air (see the full statement here), and then offered his assessment.

“It’s interesting the way the NFL words that - ‘When the players hit the ground end zone officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball,’” Rodgers said. “‘Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate the offensive player.’ That’s garbage, obviously.... They are still covering their butt there.”

Rodgers had an earlier gripe with the officiating crew, too. After Cedric Benson scored the go-ahead touchdown with 8:44 left, Rodgers missed on a two-point conversion pass attempt to James Jones — while throwing a ball designated for kicking.

“Would’ve been nice not to have a kicking ball on that two-point conversion throw,” Rodgers said (via USA Today). “But still missed that (throw).”

http://audio.weei.com/a/63814120/aaron- … ssment.htm

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Bono wrote:
war wrote:

gb/seattle

i still haven't seen a replay with the angle that the ref had that ruled it a catch and he was right on top of it. there is nothing to indicate blatancy. by rule it comes down to the ref's opinion whether or not the catch was simultaneous and I see nothing other than people's opinions stating that it wasn't. From what I see it was an INT but I wasn't 2 feet from the play when it happened.

I never said anything about the refs missing a  blatant INT. they missed a blatant and incredibly  obvious and not too mention "Hard foul" type of offensive pass interference on that play.

I can understand how the refs may have not gotten the INT right in that split second but to miss such an obvious pass interfernce against Seattle on that same play by Golden Tate is inexcusable.

bono, i didn't quote you nor did i infer that you said anything at all.

i will say now, that the offensive pass interference happens on all hail mary's and is never called and never will be.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

The offensive PI was obvious and shouldn't have been hard to see from the ref's vantage point.  But I can almost forgive them on that because calls are missed all the time, especially with these refs.  Penalties are happening on every play basically.  It's just a question of whether they throw the flag or not.  In that case, they probably didn't want to call a penalty on the final play of the game.  I don't think the refs intentionally screwed the Packers.  I think they got caught up in an unfortunate situation where there was a real close call.  They made the wrong call, and in my opinion got swept up by the fact they were IN Seattle.  No way they make that call in Green Bay.  Then they misinterpreted the rule and decided they couldn't overturn the call when they actually could have.  That's the only explanation I can come up with that makes sense.  Because there's no way that call should not have been overturned.

You have to feel for the refs on some level.  They're just so under-qualified for the job.  It's not their fault that they were thrown into this mess.  The greediness of the NFL owners and Goodell himself.  And unfortunately, I don't think this display of awful officiating is getting us any closer to a resolution.  The NFL isn't going to buckle because of a few bad calls.  Say what you will about the mockery the game has been these first 3 weeks.  Have the ratings been hurt?  Has attendance been down?  I'd say, aside from the product on the field, the game is stronger than ever.  In a way, these replacement refs add a sort of soap opera drama to the games.  You never know what's going to happen next, so you have to tune in to find out.  So they have no real reason to buckle despite public demand.  And that's the scary part.  I hope I'm wrong and there's a quick resolution, but I'm afraid this thing could drag on for some time.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Is possession in the air or on the ground?  I don't know.  The NFL seems to indicate it's on the ground based on their statement, but regardless, it's highly unlikely the refs knew either.  It's a judgement call which the refs made (or didn't make).  It doesn't matter if you agree with it or disagree with it. 

The refs also didn't overturn the call because apparently they were told by the NFL replay person (an employee) that they couldn't when they were reviewing the replay.  Again, it doesn't matter if that's right or wrong...that's what happened.  I realize the call was huge because it was the last play of the game, but the reality is Seattle should have just been kicking a game winning field goal and the play never should have had to happen in the first place.  Everybody ignores that and complains how the Packers got screwed...the truth is, Seattle was about to get screwed and all that play did was fix the earlier wrong.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Awesome video, but its a complete replica of a scene from Family Guy

I think that was the point.

Board footer