You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: 2012 NFL Season

faldor wrote:

Man, I just don't know.  You guys seem to be alone on an island on this one.  I can only think your fandom for other teams in the NFC North could be clouding your judgement.  I get it, you're happy the Packers lost.  That still doesn't make it right.  No need to try and convince me, because I'm not joining you on that island.  The Packers lost, helps you guys out.  Congrats on that.  Justify it any which way you'd like.  It's over and done with.  Now we must move on, hopefully with the real refs from here on out.  I'm hearing they may not be ready for tomorrow, but they hope to have them back as early as this weekend.  Let's hope.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

it's not fandom on my part. i thought it was a bad call at first as well.

open a second window while keeping my post/s open to follow along with.

watch the replay again.

1-tate got both hands on the ball before jennings' second foot hit the ground.

2-tate had both hands on the ball when the refs inspected the situation up close and then made the call on the field.

3-there is no indisputable evidence by replay that jennings had full control or that tate didn't in between getting both feet down and the call on the field.

call on the field stands

watch the replay and tell me there is evidence that one of those is wrong.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I thought Tate caught it

Rodgers is a crybaby

He had every chance to win that game. U can't be pissed losing when u only could score ONE fucking touchdown.

-D-

-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:

Buzz, there's a big difference between a bad call during the course of a game and the most horrendous call ever made to end a game. If a bad call is made in the first minute or with 5 minutes left in the game, there's still a chance to overcome that. When there's no time left on the clock, that's it.

And you think Green Bay was gift wrapped the go ahead TD? Okay, let's assume they only come out of that with a FG. They're now up 9-7. How about the bullshit roughing the passer call on Wilson that enabled the Seahawks "game winning" drive to continue? If that non existant call isn't made they never get in position to attempt a game winning FG. Again, you could play this coulda, woulda, shoulda game all day long. Doesn't change the fact that the call that ended the game trumps everything.

And in defense of the "tuck rule". I disagree and think this call was FAR worse.  That RULING didn't end the game. The Patriots still had to pick up a 1st down, kick a 46 yard FG in a snowstorm, hold the Raiders from scoring, and kick a game winning FG in the snow, AGAIN. The Raiders had plenty of chances to still win that game. The Packers had none.

Please don't call that the most horrendous play in NFL history.

The Ed Hochuli SD/DEN debacle was way worse than this, not to mention the Vinny Testaverde TD that brought back instant replay when he clearly was tackled at the 2 but got a TD

Ask Seattle fans in 98 who got robbed of a Super Bowl

Tuck Rule

etc

etc

etc

-D-

-D- wrote:

Tate Clearly has his left hand on the football throughout whole process, right fell off for a moment but he still had a firm grip with Left hand.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
faldor wrote:

I don't know the exact specifics of the "simultaneous" catch either.  To me it sounds like it should be in the air.  But it could very well be on the ground.  To me, that's not simultaneous.  The defender intercepts the ball, then when they get to the ground the offensive player wrestles the ball away, or at least shares possession.  How is that simultaneous?

it's simultaneous possession. it's not a catch until you have possession with both feet or any part of body other then the hands on the ground. jennings didn't technically have possession until his second foot hit the ground. tate had both hands on the ball and both feet down before jennings got his second foot down but i don't think tate's feet were relevant. just the fact that he had a solid grip on the ball before jennings got his 2nd foot down and never clearly lost it after that.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

And we have our refs back!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 … le=HP11_cp

The NFL reached an eight-year agreement with the NFL Referees Association on Wednesday night to end the lockout, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the refs will be back on the field starting Thursday night.

The new collective bargaining agreement is the longest between the league and game officials in NFL history.

"The long-term future of our game requires that we seek improvement in every area, including officiating," Goodell said in a statement released by the league. "This agreement supports long-term reforms that will make officiating better. The teams, players and fans want and deserve both consistency and quality in officiating.

"We look forward to having the finest officials in sports back on the field, and I want to give a special thanks to NFL fans for their passion. Now it's time to put the focus back on the teams and players where it belongs."

Goodell temporarily lifted the lockout so officials can work Thursday night's game between the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens (8 p.m. ET on NFL Network). According to the NFL, officials will vote on the agreement Friday and Saturday, and a clinic for the officials will be held after the vote.

NFL referee Ed Hochuli told NFL.com's Jeff Darlington that he's ready to referee a game this weekend. The referees expect to ratify the deal Saturday morning, Hochuli said.

"But all 121 guys and I are very glad we're back," Hochuli said. "We are ready. We missed preseason, and there's nothing we can do about missing on-field practice. But we've worked very, very hard over the last several months. We've taken 18 extensive rules test, watched hours and hours or video every week. We've worked very hard to be prepared. I think we're ready."

When asked how many curls he did when he heard the rumors that a deal might be getting done today, the famously muscular Hochuli said, "As soon as I heard the rumors, I got down on the floor and started doing pushups."

The league released the following terms of the agreement:

» The current defined benefit pension plan will remain in place for current officials through the 2016 season (or until the official earns 20 years of service). The defined benefit plan will then be frozen.

» Retirement benefits will be provided for new hires, and for all officials beginning in 2017, through a defined contribution arrangement, which will have two elements: an annual league contribution made on behalf of each game official that will begin with an average of more than $18,000 per official and increase to more than $23,000 per official in 2019, and a partial match on any additional contribution that an official makes to his 401(k) account.

» Apart from their benefit package, the game officials' compensation will increase from an average of $149,000 a year in 2011 to $173,000 in 2013, rising to $205,000 by 2019.

» Beginning with the 2013 season, the NFL will have the option of hiring a number of officials on a full-time basis to work year-round, including on the field.

» The NFL will have the option to retain additional officials for training and development purposes, and may assign those additional officials to work NFL games. The number of additional officials will be determined by the NFL

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Maybe now they can stop playing that hail mary footage over and over again.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

How I see next years draft, in no paticular order except the Chiefs, who I think will get the first pick:

Chiefs - Matt Barkley (QB)
Bills - Tyler Wilson (QB)
Dolphins - Eric Reid (S) or Alex Okafor (DE)
Cowboys - Sam Montgomery (DE/OLB) or Aaron Murray (QB) if he declares.
Browns - Justin Hunter (WR)
Bears - Star Lotulelei (DT) or Jake Mathews (LT/RT) or Manti Te'o (LB)
Falcons - Joseph Faurier (TE) or Tyler Eifert (TE) or  Marcus Lattimore (RB)
Lions - Xavier Rhodes (CB) or Manti Te'o (LB)
Vikings - David Amberson (CB)
Titans - DeMarcus Milliner (CB) in the first and Kenjon Barner (RB) or Andre Ellington (RB) in later rounds.

Really hope the Dolphins pick up Da'Rick Rogers (WR) in the second.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

That Bills/Pats game was sure... interesting.

The national takeaway is that the Bills D-line is overpaid and bad. And that's not a terrible conclusion. Mario Williams has been making Ville Leino popular in this city, he's played so poorly. But I don't think this is just a "same old Bills" story and here's why.

We pretty much never ran the ball. We must have thrown upwards of 80% of our playcalls, making it clear that CJ and Fred Jackson were as much decoys as legitimate targets. Under Chan Gailey, the team has usually wins when it gets Jackson or CJ 25+ carries, and usually loses when Fitz throws 50 times. In this sort of pass-heavy gameplan, I think it was always a question of 'when' rather than 'if' for the Bills' D's collapse.

If CJ doesn't fumble at the end of the first half, and Fred was healthy enough to get 20 touches, I think the Bills could've held the lead and won. But having to throw every play doomed our D to spending too much time on the field, and it broke us. In that first half, the Bills' D looked really good, especially young corners Aaron Williams and Stephon Gilmore. I still think the story is an improved defense. But the front 4 got handled, the coaches never adjusted to try blitzing linebackers, and Brady got to stand back at pick us apart. Gronk was on a linebacker and Welker was on a slot corner instead of Gilmore.

I've seen the Bills lose a lot of games to the Patriots, and this seems like one where we went in with a rigid gameplan that either would work or it wouldn't. With our two best players healthy instead of 70% (and it's amazing that either played at all) I think it would've been enough. So I'm not panicking. They'll lose in SF next week too.

Board footer