You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: 2012 NFL Season

slashsfro wrote:

I could see Mingo as a 4-3 DE provided he put on some weight.  They used Kearse as a DE and he was at most 260 pounds or so.  Jones is strictly a 3-4 OLB/edge rusher.  I'd stick RB a little higher on the need list.  I think the Round 2 pick is pretty much a S or OG unless they sign one in FA.

It's hard to gauge Barkley's landing spot since he isn't participating in the combine because of his shoulder injury.  I think a lot of the QB shuffle will get clearer after the combine this weekend.  I think Tyler Wilson has a chance to move up.  I think Buffalo might take Nassib in round 2 and focus on WR.  I'm expecting Cordarelle Patterson to light up the combine and be taken within the top 15 picks or so.

It's really interesting to see where Chance Warmack ends up.  I'm not real sure the Titans take him at 10 since they've never taken guards high (last one was Munchack in 1983).  I'm not sure the other 9 teams have a big enough need to take him over say an OT either.

A Dolphins question for you, what's going on with Jake Long?  I've read that there's a chance that they could let him go via FA.  Franchise OT (or even very good ones) don't hit the market often.  Have his injuries derailed his play that much?  Someone is going to overpay for Sean Smith in FA (my guess the Bucs since they have a gazillion dollars and have said they need/want a CB), so he's gone.
They should make a play for Wallace, Bowe or Jennings to help Tannehill because it was painfully obvious that they lacked a WR who could get down the field and make plays.

I think KC takes Jockel with the first pick unless one of the QB's absolutely lights it up at the combine.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

According to some metrics, Jake Long wasn't any better than the Bears tackle that Cutler shoved on MNF last year.  I think he was probably playing hurt, but there's a lot of risk involved with him.  I'm not sure I'd drop a huge check on him and I'd certainly franchise over signing him long term if I was Miami.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Jake Long was a beast when he was in a power blocking scheme with Sporanao. The new coach brought in a new blocking scheme and he struggled and was injured. When the O-Line was as good as Miami's they should never have changed, but yeah, this is Miami.

He's asking for a lot of money, I believe 10 million a year, which I don't think he'll get from anyone because of his injury and down year but he'll make a lot of money for a team that's desperate, like Arizona. Add to the fact that our GM is a fucking moron who neogiates player's contracts with the press I don't see him coming back for a lot of reasons.

If he gets with a team that's using a power blocking scheme, then I'm sure he'll excell. He's just not a zone blocker. They aren't resigning Bush either, which is a huge mistake.

I'll be shocked if they don't sign Greg Jennings to a bloated contract. But I do like Jennings and would fit Tannehill's style more than Wallace.

And I think KC will take Joeckel, too. If someone doesn't trade up to get him.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

I believe Sporano works for Oakland now.  Don't think they have enough money to get him.  I wonder if Miami would consider signing a FA OT as there seem to be a good number of them available:  Sam Baker, Will Beatty, Branden Albert, Andre Smith, Jermon Bushrod, and Sebastian Vollmer.  A few of these guys will get tagged but that still leaves a few good ones to pick from.

I wouldn't be too pissed about letting Reggie Bush go.  He's at that age where he could fall off quick.  They should see what they have in Lamar Miller.  Now if you want to complain about why they wasted a 2nd round pick on Daniel Thomas and how he looks fat and slow, you'll have no argument from me on that one.

The big news that came out of the combine is that Star Lotuleilei has a heart problem that could cause him to drop.  Also a lot of teams are red flagging Jarvis Jones because of the neck injury.  His problem is also that there aren't that many 3-4 teams in the top 10 who have a dying need for a edge rusher.  Here's the top 10 and the probability that he'll get taken there:

1) KC-nope they actually have two good 3-4 OLB in Houston and Hali

2)JAX-small chance, I think they might use this on an OT or the obvious DE pick

3)OAK  They run a 4-3 and got abused vs the run last year.  They also have shitty OT and no real long term QB.  And they need a DT as well.  Shariff Floyd seems to be moving up the draft board.

4)PHI Just read that the Eagles are switching to a 3-4.  So there is a chance here but fuck Philly seems to take a DL lineman in the top 3 rounds every year.  They still have Trent Cole, Vinny Curry, Brandon Graham, Darryl Tapp and some other guy whose name I've blanked out on as edge rushers.  To be honest I have no real idea where the Eagles are going with this pick outside of the obvious OT need.

5) DET These guys run a 4-3 and will not have any interest in Jarvis Jones.  DE yes (Avril and Vanden Bosch are gone) or CB or OT should be the pick.

6 CLE Ok he definitely has a chance to land here.

7) ARZ Another 3-4 team.  I guess he could surface here if the OT's are off the board and they don't like any of the QB's.

8) BUF Runs a 4-3 and spent a bunch of money on DE's last year.  I'm thinking QB or wideout here.

9)NYJ  Hmmm....this one actually fits here.  The Jets have a bunch of needs (WR, OT, edge rusher, QB) and could be tempted to pick Jones.  It would probably help his cause if Mingo is off the board.

10) TEN No chance.  I'm going to watching to see how Dion Jordan and Ezekiel Ansah work out tomorrow.  And Richardson or Floyd could factor in here.  Maybe Millner.  I also think they pay Andy Levitre or Louis Vazquez a bunch of cash on the first few days of FA.  They already signed former Bills S George Wilson.  He's not great but he's better than the shit they had at the spot last year.

So the real question is if he falls to 12, will Ireland pick him for your Dolphins?  Can't see the Chargers interested since they need an OT in the worst possible way.

NFL free agency starts in a little more than two weeks and I can't wait for that.  Franchise tags end/are due on March 4th. 

The 49ers also have a trade in place for Alex Smith.  KC perhaps?

misterID

misterID wrote:

Yeah, looks like KC has a trade in place for Alex Smith and they're going to draft Luke Joeckel. The Cardinals seem to be high on Matt Barkley.

BUF is switching to a 3-4...again... this coming season. And I think Ziggy Ansah is going way early. Like perhaps #2. I'm dead serious. I don't see him dropping past the Browns.

I think Geno Smith goes to BUF.

I hope, the way things are happening, Bjoren Werner falls to the Dolphins or we trade up to get him. Otherwise I see us getting Sheldon Richardson, depending on Randy Starks (DT), or we go after D Milliner (CB), or trade down and select Keenan Allen (WR). I won't be surprised if there's a swerve and they pick up Mingo (DE, OLB).

From watching the combine, I'm putting Cooper over Warmack as top guard.

misterID

misterID wrote:

It looks official: Alex Smith is a Chief.

They gave up a second rounder for him. That stuns me. Seriously. I thought you'd get a 4th for him. That has to mean they're going to build the team around him. You don't give that high of a pick, basically another 1st rounder for him.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

It gets even worse if you're a Chiefs fan.  Chiefs also give up a 2014 third round pick which can become a 2nd round pick if certain conditions are met.

This was brought up by another site but the Chiefs sure like to pick up former 49er QB's.  Steve Deberg, Joe Montana, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac and now Alex Smith.  Oh the Chiefs also haven't had a win by a drafted qb since 1987.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

good for 49er's ... i dont like the kid they have now but he wins games

i like alex smith

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
Neemo wrote:

good for 49er's ... i dont like the kid they have now but he wins games

i like alex smith

Yeah, Smith definitely didn't deserve to be benched, but you can't deny that Kaepernick's an awesome player.

Hopefully Smith can go somewhere with the Chiefs and stick it to Harbaugh. 13

misterID

misterID wrote:

I'm actually liking the Chiefs right now. They've locked up Bowe who could be Alex's Vernon Davis like go to guy. They franchised Brandon Albert and have the top pick, which they could either stick with and trade down (and trade Albert) and they're looking at picking up a big Free Agent Corner.

I think the trade was great for KC. You have a QB who is better, proven and more clutch than any other OB in the draft and you got him for a second round pick and a pick next year, instead of drafting a guy you're taking because he's there and you need to fill the position.

Board footer