You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: 2012 NFL Season

faldor wrote:

I could also see Chiefs fans taking a "wait and see approach".  Alex Smith basically had 1 1/2 good years and you could certainly argue that the great defense behind him made him a good QB.  Is he that much better than Matt Cassel?  He had a good year with New England, then a good year with KC.  He's been bad the last few, I'll give you that.  But I'm not convinced Alex Smith is great all of a sudden.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
faldor wrote:

I could also see Chiefs fans taking a "wait and see approach".  Alex Smith basically had 1 1/2 good years and you could certainly argue that the great defense behind him made him a good QB.  Is he that much better than Matt Cassel?  He had a good year with New England, then a good year with KC.  He's been bad the last few, I'll give you that.  But I'm not convinced Alex Smith is great all of a sudden.

Agreed.  He's probably slightly above average but I can't see him more than that.  Reid knows how to develop qb's though and Smith isn't that old even though it seems like he's been in the league for a long time.

Chiefs released RT Eric Winston yesterday.  That pretty much makes Joekel the favorite to go #1.   When they tagged Branden Albert I thought they could have went with another player.

That OT FA crop is great this year.  No excuse for not getting one (the Bears in particular) if you need one. 

Dolphins and Vikings supposed to be the top choices to throw a gazillion dollars at WR Mike Wallace.

FA negoitiating period supposed to begin on Saturday.  Signings start on the 12th but I bet a lot of contract numbers and details leak out over the weekend.

Nnamdi Asomugha will be released or traded at some point in the offseason.  He's looked awful the past two years although I wonder how much of it is scheme.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Percy Harvin traded from Vikings to Seahawks for the Seahawks 1st rounder (#25 overall), 7th rounder and mid rounder next year.  I like this more for the Vikings.  While Harvin is a playmaker, he has never played a full season or topped 1,000 yards receiving in a year.  And he also has those character problems you have to deal with.

Anquan Boldin traded to the 49ers for a 6th round pick.  Not sure how much he has left in the tank.  49ers still need a vertical downfield threat (btw they blew their 1st rounder last year on a WR who was inactive for most of the year) and they are paying all of Boldin's 6 million dollar salary.

Steve Hutchinson is retiring tomorrow.  And suprisingly, so is Chris Gamble of the Panthers.  He could have gotten a similar deal to what Dunta Robinson got from the Chiefs.

The madness starts tomorrow at 4pm EST.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:

Harvin did not want to be in Minnesota. He did not like the amount of money he was recieving, while former teammate Aaron Hernandez was paid the big bucks. He did not like to the amount of touches the Vikings were giving him. He did not get along with Leslie Frazier, one of the nicest and soft spoken coaches in the NFL. He did not like Christian Ponder as the quarterback for this team. He has been in confrontations with both former coach Childress and current coach Frazier. He threatened to leave in June 2012. And finally demanded to be traded this month, and said he would not participate in any Vikings offseason drills. He did not show up to Vikings games once he was injured last season.

Vikings got lucky with what we received for Percy, considering how vocal he was about not wanting to be here.
2013 1st Rounder (25th pick)
2013 7th Rounder
2014 3rd Rounder
Many had the Vikings getting a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Harvin

faldor

faldor wrote:

Yeah, I think it's a very good deal for the Vikings.  Of course, it matters what those picks turn out to be but on paper they got real good value.  Getting a 1st round pick in trade compensation isn't accomplished very often.  They showed a list of the last 3 WR's who were traded for 1st rounders and the list wasn't all that impressive.  Deion Branch and Peerless Price were 2, I forget the 3rd.

Boldin for a 6th seems ridiculous to me.  The guy was GREAT in the post season.  Now I know he's not THAT great consistently, but he's worth far more than a 6th round pick.  With that being said, as a Patriot fan I'm glad he was traded outside of the conference.  Makes the 9'ers stronger, but the Ravens weaker and I'll take that tradeoff.

Just about 4 o'clock now, we'll see how these "rumors" pan out.

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks

Here's the last minute buzz I'm hearing: Jake Long-STL, Reggie Bush-DET, Chase Daniel-KC or NYJ, Goldson-TB, Cassell-MIN or TB,

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Dolphins get Mike Wallace, Dannell Ellerbe and Phillip Wheeler. I love the two LBs (Wheeler is very underrated), I don't like Wallace. He doesn't play to Tannehill's strengths. He's not a deep passer type of QB, he's a much more West Coast, Rich Gannon, type of QB. That's why Greg Jenngings would have made much better sense. And if you wanted the deep threat... who can run fast... And that's about it... Derrius Heyward Bey was just released by Oakland, you could have snagged him for that same position for a lot less money. DHB actually had a good year efore Greg Knapp came in. I won't complain, though. We still have a lot of draft picks.

Buffalo released Ryan Fitzpatric, I'm now certain there's a big chance that The Bills trade up with the Chiefs to get Geno Smith.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Welker goes from Brady to Manning for 2 years 12 million.

Shocking!  At least the terms of the deal.  I was figuring he'd get 7-9 mil a year, and at least 3 or 4 years.  2 for 12?  Say what?  And the fact the Patriots were only willing to offer 2 for 10?  Huh?

Listen, I can completely get behind them wanting to go in a different direction.  Hell, they were ready to do that last year until Aaron Hernandez got injured in their home opener.  Welker was non-existent in the first 2 games last season as they were beginning to phase him out of the offense.  But injuries forced him to the forefront again and he was the primary target BY FAR.  And I am completely willing for them to dedicate money to the defensive side of the ball for once even if it means taking a few steps back on offense.  BUT, 2 years and 12 million dollars?  Was that really going to prevent them from shoring up the defense?  Seems hard to believe.  So again, it would seem to me they were just ready to move on without him.  But why have Bob Kraft come out and say how much he loves the guy and how he'd love him to retire as a Patriot like Brady and then give him an embarrassingly lowball offer?  Doesn't seem like good business to me.  Although the business world isn't a friendly place.  And the Patriots have proven that once again.

It seems they've come to terms with Danny Amendola to replace Welker at 5 years, 31 million with 10 mil guaranteed.  He's a younger but more injury prone version of Welker.  I'd find it hard to believe he'll replace the production Wes gave them.  That'd be asking a lot.  They could re-sign Edelman too and before today it sounded like they were going to part ways with Brandon Lloyd.  Not sure if that changes now that Welker has left.  In a sense though, I'd have to think they knew losing Welker was a strong possibility, so if they had planned on letting Lloyd go too, I'd assume they'll stick to that plan.  I'll freely admit that Lloyd wasn't quite what I expected him to be.  But he still caught over 70 balls for over 900 yards.  Nothing to sneeze at really.  And it doesn't seem their way of doing business to go and throw money at a WR such as Greg Jennings.  Of course an offense with Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ridley, Amendola, and maybe Edelman will still be formidable.  BUT, they need to improve defensively.  I've said that for the last 7 years at least, so hopefully they're finally ready to go in that direction.  We'll see.

Sky Dog wrote:

Welker dropped some key balls in the last two years......just sayin

faldor

faldor wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Welker dropped some key balls in the last two years......just sayin

He absolutely has.  I didn't want to be the one to say it, but since you brought it up.  He really has had a bad case of the drops the last few years.  Leads the league in that category over the last 3 seasons in fact.  Now in his defense, Tom would throw to him about 30 times a game it seemed, so he was bound to drop a few.  But a lot of them seemed easily catchable.  I wish him well in Denver, and I'm sure he'll do great.  But I'm not broken up about him leaving and Amendola coming.  I'm more concerned about them improving on the defensive side of the ball.  Still waiting, 7 years and counting. 18 4 17

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, I dind't want to say anything but he a lot of BIG drops. Welker isn't a huge loss. I really like Amendola.

The Dolphins are making a big push to bring back Jake Long... No shit, good LT's don't grow on trees. And it doesn't help Ireland yanked him around at the start of free agency. They better not blow this. That way we can use our draft picks on either Bjoern Werner or Xavier Rhodes. Two FSU boys wink

Board footer