You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: North American Tour Stats for new Gnr

Mikkamakka wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
misterID wrote:

Are we talking about Paul Huge? Because all I know of what he did was lay some guitar parts next to Slash on one cover song in 1996 at the end of his stay in the band.

1994, to be exact.

He also went to the 1996 sessions, which were the last ones with Slash in the band. I understand he remained in the band from 1996 to 2002. He has more than one writing credit on CD.

At least, give the man credit where it's due.

misterID wrote:

Cantor said Slash got angry over Axl nixing the Snakepit songs, which could be the DATS they're discussing in that inetrview (or not).

They are, most likely, those same tapes.

"The coolest omen," says Slash, "was the night I recorded three songs and mixed them that night, which I normally wouldn't do. I went to bed with the DAT in my hand, all 14 songs. [...] And it was like Godzilla came to town. [...] The time was 4:31 a.m., Jan. 17, 1994. The Godzilla in question was L.A.'s 6.7 earthquake." (Slash, Rolling Stone, 04/95)

On January 17th, some two weeks after the Rockline interview, Slash finished up the Snakepit demos. He never set out to do a solo album, he wrote for Guns. That's when Slash and Axl would've started to have issues, which were said to have dragged for months.

The whole Snakepit conundrum happened in early '94. Gilby was still in the band when they were rejected.

misterID wrote:

the evidence shows they tried to make something happen to find a middle ground but couldn't.

They tried a lot. There was the Snakepit material (by Slash, Gilby, Matt & co), there were the last Gilby sessions after that in around April '94, and the Sympathy sessions in October '94, by which time the atmosphere had gotten poisonous, the Zakk sessions in January '95, post-Zakk sessions before Slash left to promote Snakepit...

.. then when Slash came back from Snakepit, there were another sessions in 1996, when, according to Slash, they were working on Axl's material. The biggest question for me is that why this session fell apart and led to Slash's leaving a few weeks later.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

And the rest is just your assumptions, no offense.

Well it's all assumption from things they've said.

Axl himself said that Slash approved of "My World" when Slash knew it was bad simply as a ploy to lower Axl's popularity with the public. Craziest thing I've ever heard.

Ask yourself - do you think Slash, a junkie at the time, executed that as a strategic plan, or maybe Slash just lied about liking the song because when people upset Axl - he walks from stage, jumps from a moving car or has some other kind of episode.

Not that Slash is faultless either....he's a junkie and it's obvious he pisses people off a lot - see VR - but he has some reason to be pissed off - Axl has the name, made him an employee, overdubed his solo, didn't like his tracks, then Paul Huge - the over dubber, wrote a bunch of songs that did nothing for him, and Axl's solution to this problem is to bring in Zakk Wylde into the band...which is obviously going to reduce slash's role further.

I'm sure Axl has legit reasons to be pissy at slash too...but the point is - these are factual things that happened - sure I'm assuming that they didn't like them - but considering 15 years on they wont even go to the same room - I'm guessing there's more to it than they just ran out of talent.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I didn't once say they ran out of talent. I specifically said talent had nothing to do with it. I said the creative spark BETWEEN THEM was gone.

As for Slash, he seems like a wishy washy guy, and according to Marc, does lie and change his story. I don't know what went on, I don't know how Paul comes into this when it started before he added his guitar parts to SFTD. And as far as I know Slash liked having a second guitarist in the band, and wasn't against Zakk coming into the band, and it was Axl who said he was overpowering Slash. That they also tried to bring in Dave Navarro. And they did bring back Izzy. Nothing worked. You said it yourself, they didn't like the songs the other guy brought in.

And you keep saying Slash was an employee, when from what I understand is that he always had a say in things, does so today and what he did was give up the rights to the name if he left the band. That's not an employee.

Sky Dog wrote:

Monkey is somewhat right, everything you need to know about Axl then and now is in his lyrics...not really sure what this has to do with the topic or the ID/Monkey circle jerk but something has to break the ice...

Well some say I'm lazy
And others say that's just me

Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be

But it's been such a long time
Since I knew right from wrong
It's all the means to an end, I,
I keep on movin' along

Radicals and racists
Don't point your finger at me
I'm a small town white boy
Just tryin' to make ends meet

Don't need your religion
Don't watch that much TV
Just makin' my livin', baby,
Well that's enough for me

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

.. then when Slash came back from Snakepit, there were another sessions in 1996, when, according to Slash, they were working on Axl's material. The biggest question for me is that why this session fell apart and led to Slash's leaving a few weeks later.

Well, at that point, Axl owned the name. Slash & Duff had agreed to be put on escrow. Basically, this meant a third party (likely Doug Goldstein) kept their fees as session musicians on hold until Axl thought he'd gotten his end of the bargain.

There were about 12 rehearsals. The band generally showed up at around 8pm, Axl showed up at around 1/2am. They were together in the room for an hour or two at a time, as Axl would then be left to wade through the material on Pro Tools.

In early September, they had 7 songs. Duff and Matt were bouncing on and off due to their tour with Neurotic Outsiders. Axl and Slash were to write additional material together. On September 16th, Slash joined NO on stage in Phoenix.

Now hold that thought. Guns had just had a few days of rehearsal as a full band, Neurotic goes back on tour and Slash suddenly plays with them in Phoenix. The most tangible Phoenix connection in the band is Axl, having made many a trip 115 miles north, to Sedona.

Could it be that Axl took Slash to Sedona, to see Yoda and their side of the coin?

Exactly a month later, Slash told in a chat that he'd only been in the band for three weeks and "my relationship with Axl right now is sort of at a stand still."

Three weeks meant that Slash and Axl never really got around to doing anything after early September. It's intriguing to imagine Yoko and Yoda join forces in stealing their thunder, but the truth is never as simple.

The only simple matter is that there was quarrel over money. That alone creates tension.

johndivney wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Monkey is somewhat right, everything you need to know about Axl then and now is in his lyrics...not really sure what this has to do with the topic or the ID/Monkey circle jerk but something has to break the ice...

Well some say I'm lazy

Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be

I keep on movin' along

Radicals and racists

Don't need your religion
Don't watch that much TV

top 3 GnR tune ^

think i disagree w/ur idea tho skydog, about all you need to know is his lyrics.
this may sound like a dicky thing to say, but that may well have been the case had he died/fucked-off/retired/done something else. but there's too much has passed to let him off the hook in this day & age.

obv in an ideal world all that would stand as testament would be his body of work. & maybe given time that will come to pass. but if you're gonna judge axl you have to factor in his behaviour, specifically as to how it relates his own material & his search for newness, which as we know is virtually non-existent.
& crucially, in comparison to those he's competing with, he isn't cutting the mustard. the staleness & reliance on formula is very upsetting from someone who promised so much.

in fairness, taken as a singular context, his work contains some of the greatest rock songs ever. but his performance outside of those core songs does not measure up: it doesn't measure up to his potential, his promises, or to those other great mystics/entertainers. he had the chances & he's blown near each & every one of them.
that's what you also need to know about axl. he will let you down even when he told you he wasn't going to. BUT in his defense on that accusation, "every promise that's made & bragged is meant, if not kept.." credit is due for his intentions & honesty. but at the end of the day there's a lot of epic fail resting at his door.

Sky Dog wrote:

I just think he is scared to release stuff....for whatever fucked up reason. I bet he has a ton of good stuff sitting in the vault. However, I don't really trust his judgement as to what he deems good/bad. Either way, he certainly has a much smaller catalog than he should. So far, yes, he has not lived up to his potential as an artist.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Well some say I'm lazy

Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be

I keep on movin' along

Radicals and racists

Don't need your religion
Don't watch that much TV

Great fucking song and unfairly maligned by the media.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I didn't once say they ran out of talent. I specifically said talent had nothing to do with it. I said the creative spark BETWEEN THEM was gone.

Hmm...I guess I took a different meaning from that phrase than what you meant. I'd agree in the sense that they didn't like each other's music at the time....but...I do raise the question to what extent that was simply a case of each man's resentment towards the other for real or perceived grievances kind of "blocking" them from operating on the higher level they previously functioned on - but I guess the difference between us is I think these things could have been resolved with open communication.

To give an example of what I mean - pick a random night...Slash goes to the studio - he's previously agreed to loose the name to keep Axl happy, he's tolerated Huge's interference, he's putting up with dealing with Axl through Axl's handlers,  he's working under conditions that are no longer an equal partnership all for the sake of making peace and moving on with the band - then he  ends up waiting for Axl to arrive for 4 or 5 hours. It probably reminds him of various waits and problems caused by Axl not being on time at gigs. Then when Axl shows up he's fired up about synth and NIN and how to totally change the sound of the band from it's current sound (where slash is integral). So let me ask - what kind of good mood will slash be in by then? How good would Axl's song have to be for Slash to be excited about doing with that much baggage going on?

It's the same with Axl. We know he analyses things intently. He focuses on the exact words people use often.  We know he was keeping himself secluded from the band and talking mostly with handlers - thus opening up a world of possible misunderstandings. He probably doesn't like the way things have been sounding for a while. And we know he doesn't like that Slash is a druggie and so on. But he's trying to keep him in his new band.  I'm sure from his perspective there's completely valid reasons for everything that's gone down prior. Then he's late for whatever reason that day. Slash seems pissy as hell, in fact Slash has seemed kind of shifty for a while, seems to say one thing or do another, or he co-operates but in some kind of passive aggressive way, all he seems to want to do is bust out some Aerosmith riffs and get back on the road - he has no conception of how painful that UYI tour was emotionally - he doesn't seem at all interested in all the exciting new music things going on with synths and stuff - things that could make us stay current and really push what we do that bit further...seems to be a two faced motherfucker. So again....in that context...how  open minded is Axl to hearing Slash's next riff???

That's all concepts they've talked about and admitted in interviews - so I just have to question - did they really not like each other's music? Or is it just there's way too much bad blood by that stage that even when they tried to co-operate they couldn't get rationally past it!

Slash has said he walked the morning after he spent a night in the studio with Axl and realised they couldn't look each other in the eye anymore.

So yeah...the spark "between" them was gone, but I guess my difference is I think it could be reignited if they were to discuss some of that stuff - but to this day that's never happened - even when slash showed up at Axl's house in the VR era he got no access to Axl.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Bono wrote:
DCK wrote:

Never been a worse time for GNR than 94-97. They were the benchmark of un-cool.

Such revisionist history and such a load of bull. Gn'R may not have been topping the charts during this time but to suggest they were the bench mark of un-cool is laughable. Lke if you were a Gn'R fan or even had a few of their albums you were a loser. Like if Guns N' Roses came on the radio people laughed and immediately turned the station.

It's true Bono. I remember that mid-late 90s period vividly. Maybe in Canada it was different. DJs did literally laugh if you requested GNR on the radio. People would laugh if you said you were a fan. GNR were a non entity during that era. Nobody cared.

When people compare them to 70s bands, it amazes me that I'm the only person that compares them to Nazareth. Listen to Hair of the Dog, then listen to AFD.

Board footer