You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Lance Armstrong

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

What I think is stupid, is it's not like history is gonna re-write this that "Lance Armstrong did not win those races".

There will be an asterisk* and people will always utter his name as the winner before talking about the #2.

Nothing has changed, other than him being turned heel by the media and the public opinion.

He's still the fucking champion, even if he cheated to win the belt. Nothing's changed.

Interesting. So would you as an American have the same opinion about the 1988 Seoul Olympics where Ben Johnson WON the 100 meter dash beating Carl Lewis? Johnson was stripped of his gold for testing positive and it was given to Carl Lewis who, regardless of what the IOC officials decided after the race,  crossed the finish line second. In fact Carl Lewis should have actually been suspended for 6 months and not allowed to compete at the Olympics for testing positive at the US trials. My point is every guy in that race tested positive at one point so who's the true champion from the 1988 Seoul Olympics? I'd have to say the guy who crossed he finish line first but I'd imagine most Americans would call that blasphemy 16

But you make a good point. Carl Lewis is never mentioned as the winner of that race. Ben Johnson won that race and was then stripped of his Gold medla and it was given to Carl. So stripping Ben Johnson f the title never changed a thing. he wa still the fastest man in the world at the time and on that day.

Yeah, in both cases the majority of competitors in each sport were dirty, so it was almost an even playing field.  I just saw the 30 for 30 on the Seoul 100M race.  Amazing how prevalent illegal substances were for that sport, although not surprising in the least.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think the timing of the findings plays a role too...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree with Buzz. Like if Ryan Braun, left fielder for the Milwaukee Brewers had actually tested positive for HGH after winning the NL MVP award last year, he got found out and immediately got just MVP stripped and handed to LA Dodgers CF Matt Kemp -- totally different story.

The time and moment wouldn't have sunk in for Braun. People would've just breezed over him and to Kemp for the rest of history.

Then you have rare cases like Barry Bonds where someone was suspected of juicing so much to the point the story broke before they even retired, so when they did break the all-time home run record, most fans just disacknowledged it and referred to the #2 guy as "The People's Home Run Champion".

The situation and timing definitely plays a role.

Board footer