You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Election 2012-Issue #1 labor unions/right to work states

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't want a war. I want the fuck out of there. But is funny who and who we don't give aid to. Follow the money.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

What are you gaining from these wars, buzz? How is it necessary? How is it going to be paid for? What do you want out of it?

I don't know.  I don't have access to all of the information.  Neither do you.  Those that have the information deem it necessary regardless of party, so I'll trust them.  It has nothing to do with what's in it for me personally.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

My ass, you're sitting there literally laughing over it, dude. And you're totally misinformed. If there was a neo-con in office do you know how terrible this would end up? Do you want another war? Because that's what Romney is proposing, another war with Iran and Syria. BTW, Libya is mainly pro US.

If another war is necessary, another war is necessary.  It's better than hiding your head in the sand and hoping it just goes away.

I don't know dude.  Going to war, real war is something I don't think this country can handle.  In my personal opinion, the military is broke.  Congressionally mandated downsizing has already started, and there are ripple effects going on that are removing good people.  The sequester is keeping defense contractors from hiring.  And while to the lay person, that might not be a big deal, I can tell you that they play a HUGE role in a deployed environment.  Our computers system encompass everything from vehicle location, to missles to logisitical moves now.  Those contractors keep those machines working in addition to any serioues issues that come into play with our equipment.  The Army doesn't fix its broken vehicles and weapons.  Civilians do.

We goto war in the Middle East, and it's not going to be pretty.  Americans are far too lazy to really support the action.  In order to afford it, massive tax hikes would have to come in and I think the draft would be a serious thing to consider.  Looking at how many Americans don't pay federal taxes now, and how many want to pay even less taxes, I just don't see there being the support. 

And besides the economic costs, the costs of life on both sides would be too much.  Whenever someone says we should go to war, my first question is always "are you willing to go?"  And 99.9% of the time, the answer is some excuse or a flat-out no.  Syria will use chemical weapons.  Have you ever been in the Middle East in the summer?  It's over 110 degrees every day.  Now imagine wearing a MOPP 4 suit.  That would put the temperature around 140 degrees.  It just ain't gonna happen.  Weapons and tactics the American people, the world and Obama couldn't stomach would have to be used to ensure victory.  Not to mention that we'd have to stay years after to put in a somewhat viable government.

People need to realize that those who live in the middle east, aren't like us in the West.  I know some people who have only seen war and the ME through TV or a book will chime in differently, but this is a culture that is totally devoted to authoritarian rule, be it from their Quaran or from their leader.  Corruption is rampant there, and I don't believe Democracy is for everyone. 

And because of that reality, I personally want nothing to do with fighting for their warped version of freedom.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

I never said I wanted to go to war and I never said it was easy.  I don't make those decisions (thank God).  If those that do deem it necessary, and to this date, both parties have deemed it necessary, then I will support it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If they want war they have an obligation to tell the American people why and so far their reasons have been terrible. Right now, they're fighting over pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan, so they're not on the same page.

Again, I don't know how it's necessary to go to war with Iran or Syria. The reasons they have given, if you believe them, then Pakistan is much, much, much more dangerous than Iran and needs to be invaded... but we're not. I don't see McCain wanting to go into Africa to save all the people being slaughtered, like he does Syria.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

If they want war they have an obligation to tell the American people why and so far their reasons have been terrible. Right now, they're fighting over pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan, so they're not on the same page.

Again, I don't know how it's necessary to go to war with Iran or Syria. The reasons they have given, if you believe them, then Pakistan is much, much, much more dangerous than Iran and needs to be invaded... but we're not. I don't see McCain wanting to go into Africa to save all the people being slaughtered, like he does Syria.

Pretty naive of you to think that you have the right to know all of the classified details.  If you don't trust your politicians, elect new ones.  We don't need to know everything; we need to have people making the decisions that we can trust. 

Look at it this way: Obama ran on getting out of the middle east.  First thing he announced after being in office is that isn't happening.  There's a reason for being there.  Whether you would agree with it or not is a whole different story.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Not naive, they HAVE to tell Americans why we go to war. That's the law. We cannot engage on a fullout secret war. Congress has to agree. They have to lay out the evidence and reasons. They have to even tell the world why. Naive that you didn't know that neutral

He ran on getting out of Iraq, not the middle east. He always said he was going to double down on Afghanistan. I'll say Obama did pull out of Iraq, I don't agree with staying in Afghanistan until 2014.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

LOL - hilarious.  I thought you claimed to know what you were talking about.  Again I am wasting my time with you.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Tell me what I said that was wrong.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

You think they tell everybody everything for starters.  There's what they "have" to do, and there's what they actually do.  That's what I mean by naive.  He also didn't always say he was going to double down on Iraq, but whatever.

You want to live in this utopian world.  All of the democratic policies are great in utopia, but they completely suck in the real world.  It just doesn't work even though it sounds great.  I don't think you personally are naive, but I think your political beliefs are.

Board footer