You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: Axl's net worth....Article Sept 2012

otto wrote:
sandman wrote:

can anyone point me to a thread that addresses the financials of the band? or provide the info here? i am looking for the following:

1. who owns their back catalog?
1A. if someone asks about using a song in a movie/commercial/etc., who has final say?
2. was there an equal split of their profits back in the day? (i thought i read that Axl got 40% based on songs written or something.)
3. Was the original deal with Geffen much better than the typical deal? and if so, does Axl deserve credit for that?

1. who owns their back catalog?
Axl, Slash and Duff aka Guns N' Roses Music. Axl reportedly sold his part on the publishing earnings to Sanctuary but kept intelectual property (see 1A)
1A. if someone asks about using a song in a movie/commercial/etc., who has final say?
Guns N' Roses Music (see 1), and it needs to be approved by all three members.
2. was there an equal split of their profits back in the day? (i thought i read that Axl got 40% based on songs written or something.)
Actual figures changed album after album, but Axl had nearly 40%, I don't remeber the exact amount for each of them.
3. Was the original deal with Geffen much better than the typical deal? and if so, does Axl deserve credit for that?
According to Duff's book, the deal was pretty usual, but they had a lot of lawyers looking into the contract for them - an initiative by Axl, yes - that prevented them from losing the rights to the songs to the record company. Also, the deal was renegotiated after Appetite exploded, leading to LIES release. The deal was once again renegotiated for UYI, adding the infamous lines giving Axl the rights to the name. After Slash quit, deal was renegotiated and there has been several renegotiations since then.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I was gonna say the same thing about Usher but I did applaud the Rihanna comment. 16

16 true. But as someone else mentioned we gotta be fair on both sides. Rihanna may be ghetto but let's be honest Axl is white trash redneck through and through 14

misterID wrote:

There's no way he's worth 150 million.

This. I don't believe he's worth that much either. Not for one second.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

In business terms NET WORTH just means the value of your assets minus the value of your liabilities.

It's a very different thing from liquid assets or the cashflow you have on a day to day basis.

So I suspect Axl's net worth takes into account intangible assets like his ownership of the GNR name, and that's why he's rated so much higher than the others.

So in made up terms:

Assets:
Owns Rights to GNR brand: $170m
Part of House Owned: $5m
Stuff in house: $2m
Cash at bank: $2m
Total Assets: 177m

Liabilities:
Legal fees: $1m
mortgage on rest of house: $15m
misc bills ect $1m
Total Liabilities: 17m

Networth = $177m- 17m. Networth: 150m

But you see in such a situation he still has to make the cash flow meet the mortagae payments and the bills even though the overall value is in profit.

This is a BS example of course but i'm just showing how you can have high net worth but also be kinda broke in terms of day to day operating cash.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:
WARose wrote:

i don`t know about those figures...

according to the same website:

slash - 32 million$

How does Axl supposably have $150 million and Slash only has $32 million? Slash branded himself very well post-GnR, whereas Axl was a trainwreck.

I did expect Axl to have more $$$ b/c im sure he got the majority of the GnR $, but I expected Slash to be in the $100 millon range if Axl is worth $150 million.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

In business terms NET WORTH just means the value of your assets minus the value of your liabilities.

It's a very different thing from liquid assets or the cashflow you have on a day to day basis.

So I suspect Axl's net worth takes into account intangible assets like his ownership of the GNR name, and that's why he's rated so much higher than the others.

So in made up terms:

Assets:
Owns Rights to GNR brand: $170m
Part of House Owned: $5m
Stuff in house: $2m
Cash at bank: $2m
Total Assets: 177m

Liabilities:
Legal fees: $1m
mortgage on rest of house: $15m
misc bills ect $1m
Total Liabilities: 17m

Networth = $177m- 17m. Networth: 150m

But you see in such a situation he still has to make the cash flow meet the mortagae payments and the bills even though the overall value is in profit.

This is a BS example of course but i'm just showing how you can have high net worth but also be kinda broke in terms of day to day operating cash.

177 minus 17 is 160, not 150. tongue

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Jon would have to be worth more than that.

over 120 million albums. countless number 1 tours. His band mates are on salaries........

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

177 minus 17 is 160, not 150. tongue

16:haha:

Good Point...you can see I'm not an accountant!

But I do think that's the solution to the issue. Axl's net-worth is just his assets minus his debts - many of his assets are high value - eg Brand name of Guns N Roses - but the value is tied up in theoretical assets rather than in cash you can spend.

Meanwhile his debts are probably very much cash flow related - lease payments on cars, mortgage instalments on his mansion, lifestyle and living expenses for himself, team brazil and any other dependents.

In such a situation he could easily have a total value of $150m if he was to sell everything he owns, but he's of course not wanting to do that, so he still needs to play weddings and shows to generate liquid cash to pay his day to day bills without having to sell his assets.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
misterID wrote:

Steven is such a funny fuck up 16

He didn't make good on the promise made at 4:55 16

14:laugh::laugh::laugh:

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

I would imagine The red headed loon owns his house outright.

Board footer