You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: Billie Joe Armstrong is not a Bon Jovi fan

buzzsaw wrote:

The truth is that both bands are fake - Jovi isn't a rock band any more than Green Day is a punk band.  They are both pop acts.  Always have been.  It's not that I dislike Jovi...I just prefer Green Day.  It may be as simple as my little brother was a huge fan and I got sick of hearing it as a kid.

As far as fake punk bands go, Green Day has been (off and on) one of the best if not the best since the 90s began.  I'm hit and miss with their material too, but like pretty much everything from AI going backwards.  Not because it's musically great but because it isn't.  It's simple, catchy pop music.  If you accept it for what it is, it's pretty good.  If you go in expecting it to be raw punk, you're going to be disappointed. 

As a bad amateur guitar player, I love me some Green Day that I can just strum the hell out of to get out some frustration...it's one of the few bands that I can cover pretty much anything they put out on guitar.  I don't play guitar to be good...it's usually a stress release for me.

Same here! Completely agree!

Lomax wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The truth is that both bands are fake - Jovi isn't a rock band any more than Green Day is a punk band.  They are both pop acts.  Always have been.  It's not that I dislike Jovi...I just prefer Green Day.  It may be as simple as my little brother was a huge fan and I got sick of hearing it as a kid.

True.
That said. Jovi are the better pop band.

As a bad amateur guitar player, I love me some Green Day that I can just strum the hell out of to get out some frustration...it's one of the few bands that I can cover pretty much anything they put out on guitar.  I don't play guitar to be good...it's usually a stress release for me.

I think youll find the god amateur guitar players like their Jovi 5:beer:

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Jon Bon Jovi sold his soul to the devil. That's the only logical reason I can come up with to his continued success and that he still looks like he's 37 years old.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To me it's a simple equation.

It's hard to sing in Bon Jovi's style.

It's not hard to sound like Green Day.

I'm not really into Jovi but there's a shit load more musical ability in that band than there is in Green Day.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I prefer Green Day to Jovi.  It's a personal preference.  Green Day's value is in their simplicity in my opinion.

Yeah, but we have 5 billion other awful punk bands for that.

And I totally agree with D about Jon Vs Billy in the "credibility department". Billy Joe is supposed to be this big, bad ass punk guy but there here is on The Voice with Christina??

Jon set his whole legacy straight with me during the When We Were Beautiful documentary. For somewhere around 15 years, I'd been bitching up a storm about how they needed to return to the These Days sound or at least something with some feeling. I'd felt that they came back with Crush, had a huge hit with "It's My Life" and were basically re-writing the same song over and over. In that doc, Jon came right out and said I was right but that he does what the fans ask for. He said they did the These Days record and the sales numbers were low. Then they did Crush and the numbers were huge. So they did it again on Bounce and the numbers were huge. So in his opinion and from a business standpoint, the customer was telling him what they wanted to buy so he keeps putting that product out.

As soon as he said that I thought "Hmmm... well I may not like it from an artistic standpoint but at least he's got the balls to say it's a business and that's how he's running it".

Plus he said how he doesn't mind being the Tom Cruise or Arnold Schwarzenegger of the music business. Would u rather be Daniel Day Lewis or Tom Cruise?

Fuck it, I'd rather be Tom Cruise.

Jon talked about how bands want to play these small intimate shows and he said FUCK THAT, I want to play the desert and sell it out, twice.

Jon isn't fake, cause when Grunge came about, he NEVER jumped on that bandwagon which is partly why they survived.

True the last few albums haven't been the greatest overall. I thought "The Circle" had a lot of good songs and I love the Lost Highway album for the most part.

But Green Day had some terrible albums after Dookie, so u can't really penalize Bon Jovi for a few clunkers here n there.

in 30 years, I guarantee people will still hear Living ON A Prayer and Dead or Alive on the radio. Can't say that for Green Day. Boulevard of Broken Dreams is a good song though. but Billie's Faux British accent drives me nuts. and the drummer still tries to act like he is a teenager which is corny.

-D-

-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm not really into Jovi but there's a shit load more musical ability in that band than there is in Green Day.

Agree.
Play Sambora's stuff and play Green Day songs.

I could teach a novice guitar player half of Green Day's catalog

Let me see someone play the Dry County solo.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't know...certainly Billie Joe, but Mike and Tre are pretty good at what they do.  Overall you're probably right, and you're absolutely right that it would be easier to put together a quality GD tribute band than a BJ one.

If we've learned anything over the years, it should be clear that the musical ability doesn't always equal better music...or music that people are going to like better.

-D-

-D- wrote:

HAHA should i bring up charts, record sales and all that yet? LOL  u guys know i always do that shit when arguing.

-D-

-D- wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I prefer Green Day to Jovi.  It's a personal preference.  Green Day's value is in their simplicity in my opinion.

Yeah, but we have 5 billion other awful punk bands for that.

And I totally agree with D about Jon Vs Billy in the "credibility department". Billy Joe is supposed to be this big, bad ass punk guy but there here is on The Voice with Christina??

Jon set his whole legacy straight with me during the When We Were Beautiful documentary. For somewhere around 15 years, I'd been bitching up a storm about how they needed to return to the These Days sound or at least something with some feeling. I'd felt that they came back with Crush, had a huge hit with "It's My Life" and were basically re-writing the same song over and over. In that doc, Jon came right out and said I was right but that he does what the fans ask for. He said they did the These Days record and the sales numbers were low. Then they did Crush and the numbers were huge. So they did it again on Bounce and the numbers were huge. So in his opinion and from a business standpoint, the customer was telling him what they wanted to buy so he keeps putting that product out.

As soon as he said that I thought "Hmmm... well I may not like it from an artistic standpoint but at least he's got the balls to say it's a business and that's how he's running it".

I like watching that doc and putting Axl in Jon's place and I think u can get a GREAT idea of what Axl prob felt in GNR etc. Thats why I love that documentary. The part where Jon seems pissed cause all the band guys get to go to tennis matches, or play golf or go to dinners while he is left behind to deal with all the bullshit.

Plus when he addresses the Lead Singer disease thing etc.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I have always HATED Green Day with a passion.

Then again I wasn't big on Bon Jovi either.

However, just the B-sides on Jon's "Young Guns II" soundtrack, pretty much shoves Billie through an industrial wood chipper.

Board footer