You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Believe in Me

bigbri wrote:

Love this CD. Best of the post-GNR solo albums, IMO. I have it on CD and probably listen once every few months.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Iv pulled it out today for a flogging 9:mosh:

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I like the first half of the album, but there are some really cringe-worthy moments lyric and performance wise, some of it sounds like he made up the song on the spot.

Definitely sounds like Duff was really out of it during most of the recording.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I do agree with that. Duff sounded fucked up as hell, like bottom rung-tier, especially based on what he said of himself, and what we saw of him on tour, during that 1993-94 period.

But it just adds to the ambience of the album. Pure punk, hard rock, grunge... lotta awesome "shit" in there. 16

Sky Dog wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Love this CD. Best of the post-GNR solo albums, IMO. I have it on CD and probably listen once every few months.

You have to be joking? Bri, love ya, but that album is AWFUL.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I agree with both of you.  The album is awful in some ways...never been a fan of Duff's singing and the lyrics are pure cheese most of the time.  I think it's a good album musically though and it shows some diversity.  It's not a great album as in AFD great, but it's pretty good for what it is.  This and Ju Ju Hounds are my favorites by far of the solo stuff, and other than the 2 VR albums, they are my top post 1997 albums for any GnR members.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I agree with both of you.  The album is awful in some ways...never been a fan of Duff's singing and the lyrics are pure cheese most of the time.  I think it's a good album musically though and it shows some diversity.  It's not a great album as in AFD great, but it's pretty good for what it is.  This and Ju Ju Hounds are my favorites by far of the solo stuff, and other than the 2 VR albums, they are my top post 1997 albums for any GnR members.

I don't know why, it just resonates with me. The lyrics are pretty average, but you all know by now I don't put much stock in lyrics anymore.

I just love the melodies, the attitude, the pure joy of music on this. It seems more organic and spontaneous than some stuff. Slash's solo work, while great, is very formulaic. Believe in Me just seems like a musician's work.

I'm not sure I explained it, but it just strikes me in the right way.

Also, I love Izzy's 117 Degrees. Probably my 2nd favorite post-GNR solo effort.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think sometimes people expect music to be something it isn't intended to be or isn't capable of being.  Some music is deep and sends a message.  Some music is just music.  Some has great meaning to the artist that is lost on the listener. 

I don't buy a Duff, Izzy, or Slash album for deep lyrics, though I'm guessing that's improved since he's sobered up.  Having said that, I could relate to the lyrics in some of the songs and I could relate to the spirit/attitude of some others.  Some were just filler. 

I'm in a different place emotionally than I was 25 years ago.  It seems like rock musicians for whatever reason (maybe it's the lifestyle) never get to where I am now.  I couldn't tell you the last song that came out that I could really relate to the lyrics, but it was probably more likely to be something Richard Marx wrote than something Axl Rose wrote.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Ju Ju Hounds is definitely the best post-GN'R effort of any of them.

When I said "Best of the post GN'R solo albums" -- I meant Duff exclusively. It's Duff's best.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Ju Ju Hounds is definitely the best post-GN'R effort of any of them.

For you. I think it's probably not even in the Top 10. I agree though that it's the best post-GN'R Izzy record.

Board footer