You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Believe in Me

Axlin16 wrote:

Lemme get this straight, Ju Ju is the best post-GN'R Izzy album, but probably not even in the Top 10?

What the fuck else is in the Top-10? Most of them haven't even cut 5 records each?!?!?!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

There's more than 10 GNR related records I'd assume.

Never actually counted it but off the top of my head...but Slash has 6 (Snakepit , VR, Solo) and then Duff has a further 7 (2 solo, 3 loaded, neurotic outsiders + 10 minute warning).

So that's 13 to start with not including adler's EPs, Axl's apperances or any of Izzy's stuff, or any of Slash's cameos.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Lemme get this straight, Ju Ju is the best post-GN'R Izzy album, but probably not even in the Top 10?

What the fuck else is in the Top-10? Most of them haven't even cut 5 records each?!?!?!

I think Slash's works are all better, even Libertad. I prefer Duff's Believe in Me and Loaded's last album, too. Add Axl's solo record and Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars and that makes 10. JuJu Hounds is the 11th. wink

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ, are you serious? Seriously?

Libertad?

Seriously?

I think Slash is insanely talented, but honestly I still have yet to hear him make one real 'full quality' album. There isn't one single Slash album I can listen to from start to finish without getting bored, or downright aggrevated. Slash 2010 was the closest I got.

I think if I pulled his best from each album, and formed one whole LP, plus used his collabs and soundtrack worked and threw in a custom EP... you'd have an accurate representation of something i'd put Slash's name on and put it up against Ju Ju and Believe In Me and Chinese.

I'm hoping Adler's album is good enough to jump into the ring and be held up against these other guys. It might be on melody and hooks, but good is good. We'll see...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I personally enjoy Libertad more than Believe in Me and JuJu Hounds. That's not to say they each don't have songs I like, just there's more songs I like on Libertad.

I think Slash's weakest album is Aint Life Grand - and even that has 2 or 3 killer songs.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Nobody is saying it doesn't. I think all of his albums have 2-3 killer songs, some have entire halves that have killer songs...

I just don't hear any ALBUMS from him. Start to finish affairs. It happens to the best of them.

Honestly, Izzy is the same way. After 117 Degrees, Izzy goes full Buckethead in his catalog. You'd have to pull together his best to get something. Too much "samey". It's good, but "samey". Slash & Duff also have that exact problem imo.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ, are you serious? Seriously?

Libertad?

Seriously?

I think Slash is insanely talented, but honestly I still have yet to hear him make one real 'full quality' album. There isn't one single Slash album I can listen to from start to finish without getting bored, or downright aggrevated. Slash 2010 was the closest I got.

I think if I pulled his best from each album, and formed one whole LP, plus used his collabs and soundtrack worked and threw in a custom EP... you'd have an accurate representation of something i'd put Slash's name on and put it up against Ju Ju and Believe In Me and Chinese.

I'm hoping Adler's album is good enough to jump into the ring and be held up against these other guys. It might be on melody and hooks, but good is good. We'll see...

Libertad is his weakest effort, but still better for me than anything from Izzy. I find close to nothing enjoyable in his albums. The same 3-chord song again and again. I'd even argue that Matt's Hollywood Zen is better than anything from Izzy.

I LOVE Slash's first Snakepit. This is almost an ultimate GN'R record for me. There is everything I loved in GN'R, except Axl. But Eric Dover did a pretty great job. Unbelievable riffs, long solos, songs that are full of energy and life. I enjoy it from start to finish and like it more than any GN'R album except AFD.
All other Slash albums are a bit incomplete here or there for me and all are missing something for me to be blown away. So they are not 10/10 albums for sure, not even 9/10s. But I still enjoy the shit out of Apocalyptic Love, which brings the heart of GN'R's music again. Slash I is a bit too studio steril for me and some singers/collabos weren't good enogh, but Slash has amazing ideas on that album, probably the best since 5 O'clock. I like ALG, too - I think it's somewhere on CD's level, although different animals, for sure, since their strengths and weaknesses are almost the opposite. Velvet Revolver had moments of greatness, but the lack of riffs and solos weren't my cup of tea.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Yeah im not a fan of izzy hill billy stuff id rather Libertad anyday izzy is way over rated

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I love Libertad.  My favorite VR album without a doubt once you include Messages.  If we could ever get a remix of that album featuring Slash out front a bit more, I think some people might change their tune a bit on it.  It's there, you just have to work harder to listen to it than you should have to.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I still don't get the love for Libertad. For the most part, the guitar tones are terrible. Slash's playing is mostly uninspired, aside from some cool soloing (Just Sixteen for example), and Dave's guitar sounds like a muddy mess, especially on opener Let It Roll.

And there are some outright bland songs throughout like For A Brother and Can't Get It Out Of My Head.

I think Contraband shits all over Libertad. It rocks so much harder, has four killer singles (Slither, Fall To Pieces, Dirty Little Thing, Set Me Free) and just has better songs overall.

I checked my plays on iTunes, and I haven't even listened to Libertad all the way through, since I copied it over. And for something that features Slash, for me, that is REALLY unusual.

Board footer