You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Is Russ the new Jarmo? (Mentioned on GN'Rs fb page)

buzzsaw wrote:

Buzzsaw agrees!

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Stacey wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Buzzsaw agrees!

Buzzsaw must stop speaking about Buzzsaw in Buzz'd person.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

These days I find myself wondering...if Fernando or whoever runs the GNR site knows the admins here by name...and when Bumblefoot himself responds to rumours about him...BURIED 18 PAGES INTO A THREAD ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC....is this place going to become the new stepford wives capital of the internet too?

And if it does...where does someone like me...who marvels at Bumblefoots skills, who loves Slash's emotive playing, and who thinks Axl has the greatest rock voice in history go next....as this was the last bastion of independent thought.

Never going to happen as long as I have a say in the matter, and I think most of the people on the team agree.

Stay away from personal attacks and you can hold any opinion you want. We are ex members of HTGTH for a reason.

Agreed, to put it really crudely I don't believe the mods here collectively would be prepared to suck enough cock or forget their own strong views on all things GNR, which is what would need to occur for this site to end up like some others.  I know I certainly wouldn't be able to bite my tongue on what I feel about things.  My opinions my opinion.

I know Ron has had an account here for a few years (can't recall if he has posted before).  But the fact he posted that comment here I think says more about the other 2 sites and their politics/quality than it does about the mods here.  Plus it was only one post and he basically intimated that he won't be getting into any discussion and any further posting by him would be at gunsnroses.com.  I guess he had to post something out on the main forums since my guess is there aren't a hell of a lot of people on the official site. I know I'm not a member.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

regarding your first point, i don't think this thing of ours is that much different or strange. i'm sure a lotta bands go thru similar speculation

Well...to an extent there are similarities. There's often people in a fanbase who only like the old material or the old members and so on.

There are things in GNR that are very abnormal though.

Like when GNR posted about how bad the illusion records were. How people like Jarmo were once VR fans...then their tastes changed right around the time they started getting comped to follow GNR worldwide...

And while I can't speak to Axl's personal life having never met him, I will say that while he is the ultimate badass on stage, he strikes me as a very sensitive and frankly vulnerable character in terms of his personal life and relationships. Team Brazil showed him mothering qualities by standing by him through the drama which is more than it seems his lovers or real life family were able to do...but they have also leveraged this to gain control of his business under the threat of abandonment. Frankly it doesn't seem normal or appropriate to me.

Then they run the organisation with a strange level of secrecy - where Axl himself doesn't find out about gigs till the day before (see NYE last year), where ex-bandmates are not granted access to him (Slash turning up, Duff having to walk in on Axl's shower) and where places like HTGTH seem to operate in an altered-reality.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

You are doing a great job Russ....Monkey would say the same. You know he's a long winded airbag!!!! Just kiddin'......:slash:

big_smile Indeed...it's possible I had too much coffee yesterday and added 2+2 up incorrectly once again!!!!

Didn't mean any disrespect Russ...I guess I'm just paranoid after the HTGTH incident...I used to love reading and posting there and now the place is run almost like communist russia was - there's an official point of view - and people post volumes to agree with it in hopes of sharing the perks and wealth afforded to the select few who are in charge of shaping opinions.

Anyway that is what it is now....but sometimes I just find it hard because I'm honestly in the middle in this Axl/Slash war....I get frustrated with Axl sometimes because I'd love to hear more music...but that's only because I'd LOVE TO HEAR IT...every song he's written is special to me...so when I get frustrated that things aren't moving forward it's not because I dislike the band.

Likewise, I love Slash....I honestly think he's going to end up being the next Jimi in terms of being an all time great after his death....but that doesn't mean I dislike DJ/Bucket/Bumble etc...far from it....as a musican myself I really respect everything they do.

Anyway...seems I was off base about things here...and I'm very glad to hear that...and very sorry if I offended anyone.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Axl is 50% of Gnr and the other 4 were 50%. Vocals/lyrics vs Instrumental.

Great way to put it.

For me the ratio is totally different...but I think you're onto something that the way we view such a ratio strongly influences how we think and post.

For me personally, and each of us is different, in hard rock genre it's more like this:

Vocals = 30%
Leads = 30%
Riffage = 20%
Drums = 10%
Bass = 10%

So then using this system you can see how I like everything in different ways.

Old GNR would get full marks in every department. New GNR gets full for  vocals but maybe less in riffage and leads (great in some songs - adequate in others), VR would rate strongly instrumentally but maybe not full for leads as there's not enough solos, and some songs get poor vocal marks.

Stuff like snakepit gets full marks musically but not full in vocals and so on.

So i guess to me this way I can enjoy everything for the parts of old GNR it represents...and it's why for me personally Izzy's solo stuff is least relevant to my interests.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh please, you just know you're looking forward to GNR's FB & Twitter profiles posting November Rain references 15 fucking times a night during those November Vegas shows!

G N' F'n' R's 4eva!1111111

dorks 14

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Bro-mero wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

G N' F'n' R's 4eva!1111111

!1111111? Looks like you got a little too fangirly to notice the 1's instead of exclamation marks there Axlin!

Board footer