You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Axl Rose - USA Today interviews

monkeychow wrote:
Axl wrote:

After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to, and I don't know if that was the best thing for Guns. I do want to lean more toward lyrics and melody."

Interesting this comment from Axl. I've long wondered if he just ran out of ideas for Slash's hard rock Aerosmith style track. Don't mean that disrespectfully - just like AFD was his take on that music and inspired by their hardcore lifestyle - then the guitar tracks on UYI Axl added stuff about what was going in his life - his neighbours, being famous, etc, but his own music was more focused on ballads and his love life...then his interest in industrial and that My World type headspace...then maybe Slash comes in with 5'Oclock and a bunch of riffs and there's just no inspiration to do more of that stuff. It's noticable that CD has more UYI style epics and industrial tracks only...there's not really guitar based rockers at all.

Axl wrote:

The odds of a Guns truce: "I feel that ball's not in my court. I'm surviving this war, not the one who created this war."

I wish we could get to the bottom of what precisely he feels the war is about.

Surely quitting the partnership GNR then inviting Slash and Duff to join his new GNR was somewhat provocational.....

Still....great interview.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to

See, now passive agressive shit like this annoys me.

AFD
The band wrote together, fine.

UYIs
Slash detailed how he pulled every tune the band had together and was on the phone to Axl each night to discuss how things sounded. Many of those songs were old and Axl had written lyrics to them. Axl fucking raved about Coma in an MTV interview before the release of UYIs and he thanks Slash for his stellar guitar work on the albums.

Post UYI
Every ex band member said they hated that Axl would only come in at 4am when they were going home. What choice had they got except to write music and hand it in for Axl?

CD Sessions
Again references to Axl calling from his house angry about bad drum sounds etc
Loads of references about Tommy trying to pull the tunes together to send up to Axls house.

Slash's Writing method
His new band have done everything in studio together. Slash has always lamented the fact that GNR would not get in a room. He talked about the disaster that were the Chicago sessions for UYI becuase Axl & Izzy would barely show up.

By all means hammer Slash for things he did wrong but he's a fucking guitar player for God's sake and a good one at that, if his singer won't be in a room with him what other choice does he have except to record with the band minus the vocalist?

Maybe now after a quarter of a century it has dawned on Axl that Slash's position that the band should record as a group together was the right one all along.

Mark Canter recently alluded to the fact that Slash reached out to Axl before the RNRHOF but because he won't apologise for things he doesn't agree he did wrong, no move forward came.

I just don't get the hate for Slash at this stage. If any of us were in his position back in the day: 26 years old,  in the biggest RNR band in the world, with the entire plant waiting for your follow up album and  your vocalist just won't fucking sing because he's obsessed with Nirvana or Pearl Jam or NIN or U2 and "doesn't know what to say"...
I mean, how mad would you get?

I really wish Axl would explore that side of things before insisting he didn't "start this war".

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axl wrote:

After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to, and I don't know if that was the best thing for Guns. I do want to lean more toward lyrics and melody."

Interesting this comment from Axl. I've long wondered if he just ran out of ideas for Slash's hard rock Aerosmith style track. Don't mean that disrespectfully - just like AFD was his take on that music and inspired by their hardcore lifestyle - then the guitar tracks on UYI Axl added stuff about what was going in his life - his neighbours, being famous, etc, but his own music was more focused on ballads and his love life...then his interest in industrial and that My World type headspace...then maybe Slash comes in with 5'Oclock and a bunch of riffs and there's just no inspiration to do more of that stuff. It's noticable that CD has more UYI style epics and industrial tracks only...there's not really guitar based rockers at all.

Axl broke it in a way, the songwriting/direction they were going. PTU/DTJ/Coma/Locomotive that psych-tinged hard rock, YCBM even, was the angle he should pursued & let them pursue. the ballads always meant too much too him, a decision he's gotten badly wrong. the magic was in the variety, of course, but it got overloaded w/ballads when Izzy had to go... & Slash lost control. & the new guys can't write, & aren't GnR even when they do write a decent tune.

but yea i assumed 5 o'clock was kinda like what we woulda got as a template GnR album if Axl had just shut up & sang..

monkey, do you think CD was worth having Slash out of the band & all the turmoil of the last 15yrs?

Sky Dog wrote:

I don't think so but can't speak for Monkey...

Sky Dog wrote:

Div.....and this is what we should have got instead of the mess we ended up with...more songs like this with tasteful guitar...stripped down arrangements...easily the best Nov Rain ever....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svb_wAMuFL8

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Div.....and this is what we should have got instead of the mess we ended up with...more songs like this with tasteful guitar...stripped down arrangements...easily the best Nov Rain ever....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svb_wAMuFL8

I can't believe that was almost 20 years ago, and that it was only 20 years ago at the same time. Seems like yesterday.

Hey you two knuckleheads! Hug it out, bitches!

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Anyone see Slash's tweet today? Wonder if he was referring to this?

Slash@Slash

"I read the news today, OH BOY!..." iiii]; D'

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
-D- wrote:

Anyone see Slash's tweet today? Wonder if he was referring to this?

Slash@Slash

"I read the news today, OH BOY!..." iiii]; D'

Weird because Paul McCartney was in the news this week saying (again) that Yoko didn't break up the Beatles.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

After that, I got a barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to

See, now passive agressive shit like this annoys me.

AFD
The band wrote together, fine.

UYIs
Slash detailed how he pulled every tune the band had together and was on the phone to Axl each night to discuss how things sounded. Many of those songs were old and Axl had written lyrics to them. Axl fucking raved about Coma in an MTV interview before the release of UYIs and he thanks Slash for his stellar guitar work on the albums.

Post UYI
Every ex band member said they hated that Axl would only come in at 4am when they were going home. What choice had they got except to write music and hand it in for Axl?

CD Sessions
Again references to Axl calling from his house angry about bad drum sounds etc
Loads of references about Tommy trying to pull the tunes together to send up to Axls house.

Slash's Writing method
His new band have done everything in studio together. Slash has always lamented the fact that GNR would not get in a room. He talked about the disaster that were the Chicago sessions for UYI becuase Axl & Izzy would barely show up.

By all means hammer Slash for things he did wrong but he's a fucking guitar player for God's sake and a good one at that, if his singer won't be in a room with him what other choice does he have except to record with the band minus the vocalist?

Maybe now after a quarter of a century it has dawned on Axl that Slash's position that the band should record as a group together was the right one all along.

Mark Canter recently alluded to the fact that Slash reached out to Axl before the RNRHOF but because he won't apologise for things he doesn't agree he did wrong, no move forward came.

I just don't get the hate for Slash at this stage. If any of us were in his position back in the day: 26 years old,  in the biggest RNR band in the world, with the entire plant waiting for your follow up album and  your vocalist just won't fucking sing because he's obsessed with Nirvana or Pearl Jam or NIN or U2 and "doesn't know what to say"...
I mean, how mad would you get?

I really wish Axl would explore that side of things before insisting he didn't "start this war".

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

As for Axl's receiving a "barrage of guitar songs that I was supposed to put words to"

Guns were always a guitar-based rock band, (even on the piano ballads), so why did Axl start to think that wasn't the case...? 10

What a nut job.... 14

Board footer