You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The Guns N’ Roses Residency: 5 Tips If You’re Considering Going

faldor wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Yeah nothing will ever be as painfully boring as Sorums 10 minute solo back in the day, that used to make baby Jesus cry.

That said all the solos with the current band are fucken tedious, get rid of them. Give the crowd quality not quantity.

When I went to see them last year, my friends all had good things to say about the solos.  They liked the Bond theme by Richard.  Tommy doing "My Generation", DJ's "Ballad of Death".  There were really no complaints.  And they're not diehards by any means.  I'm sure they wouldn't have argued if they did other songs in place of the solos and if the concert was cut in length by a few minutes.  We were all dead tired by the end of the marathon concert.  But it's not like they walked out of the show saying how the solos killed the flow.  Nothing of the sort.

And I know it's not a great excuse, but the solos do give people the opportunity to take a piss/beer break.  Instead of taking it at the usual "we're gonna play something off our latest album" spot, that people do with most bands.

Sky Dog wrote:

I like piss breaks!

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Or Guitars Suck just for the shredding madness, his recent cover of Bernadette had a cool outro too.

Guitars Suck would be a great choice. I was a fan of his Pink Panther cover. Let Your Voice Be Heard was a good song he did for the singles.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Me_Wise_Magic wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ Or Guitars Suck just for the shredding madness, his recent cover of Bernadette had a cool outro too.

Guitars Suck would be a great choice. I was a fan of his Pink Panther cover. Let Your Voice Be Heard was a good song he did for the singles.

Yeah, it's nice that he's doing one of his solo songs, but it's not one that really showcases his talents. Guitars Suck would be the obvious choice.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Here's the thing about the solos to me.

Back in the day there were basically 3 solo spots.

Slash: Worthy of a solo spot because he's a once in a generation player - and his godfather theme was a kind of an unusual solo for that era - really showing off Slash's emotive blues style despite the band being a "rock" act.

Matt: I love matt and his drumming, but I don't even know drummers who want to watch a 10 minute drum solo in the middle of a show. It was always a massive mood killer to me.

Duff: Attitude. Not what I came to see GNR do, but because it's only 1 song and a quick one at that it was harmless enough.

So basically, I saw the solos then as a necessary evil to give Axl a rest, but although the drum one was always a bit pointless...it wasn't overpowering.

The problem now is that I guess to be respectful and fair to his band Axl seems to give everyone a solo.

So that's 3 guitar solos, and a keys solo, and a tommy-led song, not to mention any other fill in stuff that goes down.

It's just too much....you end up with 6-7 songs of stuff that's not GNR, then when you add in cover tunes, as much as people talk about how it's a 3 hour show - seems half the reason for that is because you've had to sit through almost an entire show-length performance  of non-gnr music in the middle of the GNR show.

Because I'm a guitarist I'd be ok with some guitar solo stuff...especially cos someone like bumble is a freak player that's really world class...so i'd be ok with some kind of solo spots to give Axl a break, but I just think they need a better option than what happens at the moment where it goes kinda into a talent show half way through.

Don't forget Gilby's "Wild Horses" solo and Izzy's "I Was Only Joking." wink

I don't see a whole lot of difference as they're still doing cover solo segways into songs, like they did back in the day such as Voodoo Child, Mother, Only Women Bleed, etc.

I've always liked their solos... Except Matt's.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

You guys have a point there were more solos than I'm remembering.

I dunno - these days when I go to the shows the solos just seem to take up more of the set time is all - seems rare for Axl to be onstage, and between the solos, covers, instrumental jams and so on, it's almost like you sit through another bands show to get to your favourite bands songs around them.

Board footer