You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: 11-07-2012 - The Joint, Las Vegas, NV

monkeychow wrote:

To me this is a fuss about nothing.

Bono's been posting here for years on end and I would have thought we're all thick skinned enough to deal with the way he talks...He's always had a passionate style of speech - it's just the way he debates stuff - personally if he says something is pathetic, moronic and so on I don't take it as supposed to be actually insulting the person. He's just got loud views on GNR.
Maybe it's me but his 'insults' are usually in some kind of context..and really just emphasising his points...not like he's just randomly giving shit to people.

Fair enough he gets wound up but then several posts prior to him getting banned were pretty much baiting him - like having a dig at U2 and so on.

To me the cool thing about evo is there's difference of opinion, twat is one of my favs, bono finds it over rated....the diversity is what makes this a cool place to discuss GNR.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

I'll tell you what bugs me about twat & Australian people: they always seem to pronounce it was TWOT, like they have an aversion to the hard A sound. Is this true across the board? Maybe our antipodal members can clarify this for me?

The first few times I heard an Aussie voice say twat I didn't have a clue what they were talking about, then I thought they were trying to be polite in some weird way..
I guess it's just a linguistic thing, the same way Canadians struggle w/'OW' sounds..??

& I mean no harm by this. As an Irishman I'm all too willing to revel in the bastardisation of the English language, it's just that it seems a waste to not give a great word like Twat it's full force y'know?

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

As one of the few Aussies posting here (Aussie, Monkeychow and Gibbo the others), we pronounce TWAT as exactly that.

There's no "TWOT" pronunciation of "TWAT" in Australia that I'm aware of... 14

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

To me this is a fuss about nothing.

Bono's been posting here for years on end and I would have thought we're all thick skinned enough to deal with the way he talks...He's always had a passionate style of speech - it's just the way he debates stuff - personally if he says something is pathetic, moronic and so on I don't take it as supposed to be actually insulting the person. He's just got loud views on GNR.
Maybe it's me but his 'insults' are usually in some kind of context..and really just emphasising his points...not like he's just randomly giving shit to people.

Fair enough he gets wound up but then several posts prior to him getting banned were pretty much baiting him - like having a dig at U2 and so on.

To me the cool thing about evo is there's difference of opinion, twat is one of my favs, bono finds it over rated....the diversity is what makes this a cool place to discuss GNR.

To be honest Monkey, there's a difference between being passionate and being obnoxious and belligerent. And I think that line is pretty stark, so it's kind of surprising you don't see that or think that his behavior is acceptable. And the ribbing was much, much heavier on D than it was on Bono. Really, any opinion different than Bono's turns into this. It's not an attack.

Bono stated his opinion that he thought TWAT was overrated. Okay. That's his opinion. When people didn't respond to it the way I guess he wanted, then he posted it again with a broader brush and he got the responses he got. Which, again, were way way more mild than the way he responded to them.

I can respect Bono's opinion. That's not a two-way street, especially when he's telling us, over and over, what our opinions "really" are and that we're sucking Axl's cock, a nut swinger, fucked in the head, pathetic, a fanboy, not living in (his) reality, etc., etc., etc., if we dare don't see things the way he does. There is no context or emphasizing his points: It's disrespectful, childish, and yes, insulting.

He has attacked members here and I'm pretty stunned that you don't see that. Just stating an opinion can be construed as baiting Bono, going by how anything can set him off. I threw out some things he's said to me in the past in my post... And I was being mild!

I get ribbed here. You get ribbed here. Buzz, D and Russ, everyone gets ribbed here. Except for some minor incidents here and there, it is never personal and I have respect for all of you guys. But it is ALWAYS personal with Bono. Any small, petty argument turns into a war. There's no need for it. And Bono can be a good guy. But there has to be a mutual respect here between us. Bono being Bono just isn't an excuse.

I guess I have a different view of what's acceptable and what's abusive and most of all, what is disrespectful to the fellow members here hmm

And for the record, Buzz is wayyyyy more passive-aggressive than I am. wink

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

So for clarification, US ans Aussies say TWOT, and proper English would say TWAT to rhyme with MATTE. Right?

I love the matter pronunciation- to my American ears it makes is sound like you're calling someone an idiot instead of a c*** (which is another word that sounds way less offensive with an English accent. smile)

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Bono stated his opinion that he thought TWAT was overrated. Okay. That's his opinion. When people didn't respond to it the way I guess he wanted, then he posted it again with a broader brush and he got the responses he got.

I guess maybe it's because I'm from a family of lawyers, I'm used to a little heated debate 16

I think also at times when people know their viewpoint is controversial and not shared by the majority of posters they tend to anticipate a response and come out fighting pre-emptively....

Bono must know that TWAT is loved by nearly all fans of chinese democracy, and even most people who don't like modern GNR consider it to be nearly worthy of the GNR branding - or at least closer than the rest of the album.

Likewise I've said before that I personally don't really think Izzy's importance to things is as high as it's often made out to be - but I probably phrased it much more dramatically as I kind of knew saying it I was going to inflame the large izzy faction of this site.

Anyway, I see what you're saying, I just mean his insults are related to his topic. Not like he signed on here and just started randomly calling people cunts and so on....usually what he's arguing is that someome is wrong or has bias or that their viewpoint is illogical - he's just using very poor choice of language to make those arguments by being overly aggressive.

misterID wrote:

especially when he's telling us, over and over, what our opinions "really" are and that we're sucking Axl's cock, a nut swinger, fucked in the head, pathetic, a fanboy, not living in (his) reality, etc.

Well he shouldn't do that. But I also think we need to look at the situation that's created that sort of talk.

We live in a world where Axl stops talking to Kid Rock because he played with Slash.

Where jarmo is made official photographer and given unprecedented access to the band because he started a systematic campaign of minimising the role of the old band, and vilifying slash, and extreme censorship of people who liked the old band or indeed present any kind of view point that is not official 'team brazil' policy.

Where tons of people imitate Jarmo in hopes of receiving similar kickbacks and will lie, manipulate facts, and brazenly post anything as long as they think it's what's wanted of them by Fernando and the like.

And there doesn't need to be any consistency. The day Axl decides Slash is no longer a cancer he won't be $la$h anymore over there and we all know it.

Now that's not the case with you and of course the majority of posters here,  but given the band is run as a stepford-wives type operation , and even members of the band have to act in certain ways to be given access to Axl - it's hardly surprising that when Bono comes on here and reads opinions he thinks are outrageous that he jumps to conclusions.

Again, not saying you are one of those posters - but we've created a "boy who cried" wolf situation - so much bullshit has gone down over the years at almost all other sites that it's easy to tar everyone with the same brush after a while.

I'm not saying everything he posts is ok....but I dunno...I just felt it seemed like an over reaction.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm not saying everything he posts is ok....but I dunno...I just felt it seemed like an over reaction.

Agreed.

I usually stay out of this type of shit, but, even IF Bono was absolutely trying to get underneath some skin with his very valid (and,very unpopular) opinion....

He got pounced on hard and fast, with at least DOUBLE of what he was accused of doing, from all directions.

That should have been enough. Shit was handled.

I'd say this board is pretty good at "self policing"... The warning was kinda like saying 2 wrongs make a right, and may have proven his point, to an extent. 19

Board footer