You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Izzys No Show At RNR Hall Of Fame

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Izzy : Doesn't appear to have a logical reason to avoid it. Seems it was based on either:

(a) General Flakeness in his personality (unacceptable - he can be a flake and drive his bus 364 days a year - it's not so much of an ask for him to give something back for a lifetime of wealth and accolade that the fanbase gave him).

It is a lot to ask I think. He gave us an immortal selection of great songs, we handed him a few bucks each in return. There's nothing for him to give back, he's already given us a lot more than we gave him. He's been lucky sure, but that's neither here nor there.

(b) Can not deal with drama. (Again - after 25 years of privilege you think he could deal with a little bit of awkwardness if it ment a lot to his fans. Further - many say he was waiting to see what the others did - but he's always been the bridge between Axl and Slash and if he'd been proactive maybe more would have got done).

It's not a privilege, he earned it. He doesn't have to deal with anything if he doesn't want to, especially not an introverted man who hates attention so much he left untold millions behind when the band was at their peak to go drive dirt bikes in the desert. That should tell us something about his personality.

So my issues are:

1. As above - he doesn't seem to have a very good reason not to go.

He doesn't need one.

2. He just comes across to me now as a bit selfish:

(a) From a certain point of view it was his decision to bail from GNR rather than work with the rest of the band to keep Axl within some kind of framework that really snowballed the eventual trainwreck of GNR history. It's not fair to blame him entirely but it's sure as hell a factor.

Less selfish than you in this instance. At least he isn't complaining you're not doing something for him.

(b) There's a lot of "Izzy's a Flake" stories going around - quit VR cos he can't deal with a singer - walked out to get a coffee from one of his own bands and never returned - no one knows where he is cos he's just kinda driving around or whatever. Did a casual job on the UYI sessions from some accounts. Can't seem, to commit to anything. We all have our flaws - but Izzy's general "too cool for school" doesn't buy him as pass from me this time - IMO out of respect to fans he SHOULD have been at RRHOF - and while it's his choice what he does career wise otherwise - just being random about the hall isn't acceptable.

If you want to think lesser of him for not showing up that's your prerogative, but it's not really an argument for anything. There's no contract saying he should nor did he ever say that he would. 

and lastly

(c)  I don't mind that he plays with Axl in and of itself. But I mind elements of it. He was the loudest of the "it's not really GNR without the full old line up - even steve" guys in several interviews. So it annoys me that:

(i) Axl forgives him for the brutal things Izzy said about Axl - yet Slash who is generally way more diplomatic is the devil.

Axl is on good terms with everybody in the band except Slash, despite most of them ripping him a new one at one time or another. That shows it's not really about slinging some shit in an interview once or twice. Perhaps Axl doesn't really have a problem with you ripping him as long as he feels you're doing it straight.

and

(ii) Izzy can't deal with Axl - except when he's getting paid to appear. If he can show up at a london gig for a pay check then I think he could respect his legions of supporters by showing up with the hall and dealing with whatever bullshit happened then. it's not consistent. If Axl is this problem singer who makes Izzy fear ever working with singers, and if he thinks so highly of their past accomplishments, it's annoying that he forgets these problems when the price is right.

He can deal fine with Axl, he just can't deal with being part of some big show. Tonight he wants to play, tomorrow or the next day he wants to go mountain hiking in Japan or whatever. His prerogative and he's always been open about that.

And he has been consistent. He said way back that it wasn't GN'R without the 5 of them and he confirmed that by not showing up at the hall to be a backing man for the Slash and Myles Kennedy show. Doing a few songs with Axl now and then, or VR for that matter, is something else entirely. Doesn't mean he's changed his opinion about this being GN'R or not, it just means he wants to hang and play with friends once in a while.

So summing up.

He seems to have NO REASON to do what amounted to significantly detracting from the night - and it's YET ANOTHER example of him acting in a selfish, entitled and spoilt brat flakish manner under his "too cool" ethos.

And this time it just doesn't wash with me. Him no showing that event is like 20 times more offensive than Axl to me.

Well, just goes to show how fans can look differently at things. To me my respect for him grew tenfold by not showing up for that phony circus.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Good post Monkey. I thought it was disappointing he didn't show at HOF But to then go and play with NuGNR including a wedding only a couple of weeks later I thought was the really dick move.

I personally lost some respect for him then. IMO that wasnt the brightest thing to do.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I thought it was disappointing he didn't show at HOF But to then go and play with NuGNR including a wedding only a couple of weeks later I thought was the really dick move.

I personally lost some respect for him then. IMO that wasnt the brightest thing to do.

Agreed it maybe wasn't the brightest thing to do as it's upset plenty of fans, but we don't really know his reasons for playing with GNR - we're quick to assume it was money but I can't imagine Izzy needs it.

I was out of the loop when the HOF happened but I'm guessing the backlash began when he didn't show, so couldn't his appearance with GNR have been a poorly judged attempt at making the fanbase happy? He maybe knew the fans would be unhappy with his no-show at the HOF so makes the effort to get out there and play a gig or two with GNR, one of which was due to be streamed online?

I can see why some people are pissed off, I just don't think Izzy sees it the way we do. We're all just GNR fans, and I doubt he realises there is this huge divide amongst the old/new fanbase.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not sure of anything when it comes to Izzy, but I do believe he doesn't see much of anything the way we do.  I can relate to being a pretty introverted person and not wanting the spotlight.  It causes you to do (or not do) some things that other people just don't understand.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I personally supported Izzy's decision to not do the Hall thing at the same, but REALLY hated Axl fucking guts for no-showing the Hall in the arrogant manner he did.

But then Izzy did the GN'R shows, and at the time I still defended it, but in hind sight it did seem to be some sort of statement towards Slash & Duff, one I didn't quite understand considering their long history of getting along.

It definitely said there were more issues there and Izzy would rather play with Axl half-way across the world at some random Axl Rose solo show (for argument's sake), than to literally show up with Guns N' Roses (the ones getting inducted) entire legacy, sans Dizzy, in their own home country.

Weird moment, because Izzy ended up losing MORE street cred playing with GN'R, rather than no showing with GN'R at the Hall. Go figure.

Axl on the other hand is still a big pussy about the whole thing. He can come up with any excuse he wants, the truth is Wenner didn't bow down to Axl's whims on who went into the Hall. Whether you think that's the band's call or Wenner's call is in material. Axl Rose thinks it's HIS call, and it's not. It's simply not.

So he just came across as a spoiled baby basically going "i'm not going to show up, and fuck everything up, because you're not involving me in the decision making".

And how do I know this?

I've did it myself. 22

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

When the cinema shows from the O2 in London put up the promotion line about the band being inducted into the RNRHOF, it made me come to the realisation that all of Axl's high minded talk about him questioning the ethos of the Hall was just fucking BULL.
He wanted the induction, but wanted to give the world his North Korean version of how the band got there.

Izzy can do what he wants but I fail to see any quality control there if he will play a strangers wedding  rather than play the Hall.

And beyond everything else, why not do it for Steven and Duff?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Great posts in this thread from both sides of the debate.

I think Intercourse raises a great point that it would have been nice to do it for Steven. I guess we all do what we do in our lives, and I can't judge without being there, but I've always felt the decision to fire Steven was excessively brutal. And I say that as a massive fan of Matt's drumming. But steven was a childhood friend of Slash...they built the thing together and both had the life goal of being rockstars, then it was Slash and Izzy who introduced Steven to heroin. I just think considering most of the band had their own substance problems, and the life long friendship, might have been better to make more efforts to get him treatment first. Getting thrown out defined steven's life...and it's certainly only made his drug hell worse IMO. Anyway...it would have been a nice gesture to give him his dream of being with them one more time...as it was a harmless way to do it.

I know there's people here who seem to say they'd have lost respect for izzy for showing...but to me...it's like if Matt Sorum and Steven Adler are capable of being mature about it and standing side by side, it seems childish of Izzy to be the guy who just can't get past the drama or be bothered....there's something wrong when Steve and Matt are more adult than you are wink

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

If you want to think lesser of him for not showing up that's your prerogative, but it's not really an argument for anything. There's no contract saying he should nor did he ever say that he would

Everyone of us could be like that about any form of human interaction Polluxlm.
Does not mean that taking this position is right.

The argument is that many of us would have seen it as  being honorable, nothing more.

You obviously have a different opinion and that's cool.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I thought it was disappointing he didn't show at HOF But to then go and play with NuGNR including a wedding only a couple of weeks later I thought was the really dick move.

Guns N Roses played a wedding??  That's the funniest/saddest thing I've ever heard.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Everyone of us could be like that about any form of human interaction Polluxlm.
Does not mean that taking this position is right.

The argument is that many of us would have seen it as  being honorable, nothing more.

You obviously have a different opinion and that's cool.

But that's not an argument, that's just an opinion. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I got the impression that is what monkey was trying to do, you know, point out legitimate reasons for why he should have went.

I mean, if you think that's honorable or not cool, but why? That's all I was trying to get at.

Board footer