You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Alice In Chains

metallex78 wrote:

Here's a link to 90 second samples file of every track but Hollow and Stone.

http://www.hulkshare.com/ogfpshaeslj4

They're up on iTunes and I think that's where these are taken from.
But for people like me in Australia, who can't yet preview them because iTunes has international region blocking bullshit, use the link above to listen.

First listen through is a bit underwhelming, as it all sounds very samey mid-paced style, and it's hard to distinguish between them.
That said, these are only 90 second previews, and I won't dismiss it completely based off that.

I hear a lot of solo Jerry influence on these too.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

The new album is awesome.

So far some of my favorites:

Voices
Phatom Limb (3:55 mark = Pure RnR music orgasm OMG. They build it up and just explode.)
Title Track
Breath on a Window

Honestly though, almost every song has some little bit of brilliance in it. I've really only listened to it fully now once. Some of the songs individually like "Voices" I've listened to now half a dozen times. Easily as good as their last effort, maybe better, I just need to hear it more. The song structure is quite unique on many of the tracks too, despite sounding rather homogeneous up front. I can see why the clips may give that impression.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Voices
Phatom Limb (3:55 mark = Pure RnR music orgasm OMG. They build it up and just explode.)
Title Track
Breath on a Window

Honestly though, almost every song has some little bit of brilliance in it. I've really only listened to it fully now once. Some of the songs individually like "Voices" I've listened to now half a dozen times. Easily as good as their last effort, maybe better, I just need to hear it more. The song structure is quite unique on many of the tracks too, despite sounding rather homogeneous up front. I can see why the clips may give that impression.

It leaked? I wasn't hearing to much positive reaction so this gives me some hope. I am picking it up Tuesday so I am eager to give it a spin. If its as good or close to then last record then I will be happy.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Glad to hear it's getting good press so far. I'm probably going to pick it up very soon. Not sure when. Happy for this band.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Voices
Title Track
Breath on a Window

It leaked? I wasn't hearing to much positive reaction so this gives me some hope. I am picking it up Tuesday so I am eager to give it a spin. If its as good or close to then last record then I will be happy.

Yes it leaked a couple of days ago.

I'm really digging "Hung on a Hook" too.

Again, at first glance the tracks may all appear similar (I tend to think that this is because they are mid tempo songs paired with harmonizing,) but this is not the case. They all open up and become their own little unique entities.

"Breath on the Window" is a good example of what I mean. It starts strong, appearing to set a standard format for a catchy radio friendly tune, but then changes gears. Finally it segues yet again into a sing-a-long hook (although totally different from the start) until the end.

"Hung on a Hook" seems to be the standard dreary awesomeness, that meanders through the usual AIC sounds, that is until reaching its crossover point. That's when you'll be introduced to an  ominous riff on loop (The title track also hosts equally spooky riffs-but in a really cool way) paired with a single gloomy lyric-repeated until it wraps up.

The title track also clearly addresses their disdain for far right religion/politics:

The Devil Put Dinosaurs here
Jesus don't like a queer
No problem with faith just fear

Solid album, I've been listening to it non stop. I wish I had the lyrics though, I'd like to know more about what they are trying to convey with each song.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Just picked this up...another fucking epic drum mix from Randy Staub.

If you like the "Black Gives Way to Blue" sort of sound it's more of the same...that sort of mellow but heavy as fuck riffage and all the harmonies and stuff.

Digging it so far...but will take some time to digest the favourites.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Can't wait to hear it

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I dunno, one listen through, and it all just sounds like the one midpaced song, just dragged out... 10 14

Maybe I need to listen again, but first impression is disappointing.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I dunno...I mean it sounds very much like BGWTB I think...so I can see what you mean...there's no mistaking their sound....they're a weird band that's for sure..like these 7 minute songs that sort of take a journey...it's almost sort of trippy in a way.

So far I'm digging Stone (that bass riff is epic and I love how the drums kick in), also like Phantom Limb..and a few others.

They are similar so it will take some digestion...but it's got that AIC sound.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Then again maybe it's just not your thing. Like for the life of me I couldn't get into that Soundgarden record everyone loved last year. Tried real hard but it just didn't click with me.

This record is more like atmospheric than radio numbers to me I guess...so I sort of see what you mean alex...but I do like it up loud...sounds good!

Board footer