You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Guns N' Roses to come to Australia in March 2013

misterID wrote:

Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed it smile

I'm shocked you didn't get a bad show, seeing Axl doesn't usually respond very well to a bad crowd. Maybe I shouldn't say bad, but a less energetic crowd. I've seen Axl call out people in the crowd who aren't moving enough or don't seem to be enjoying themselves, so it's clear that bothers him and somehting he focuses on.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Wow, that performance of Better was excellent. I noticed that BBF is improvising a lot less, and actually playing what's on the studio version more. Pretty rad.

gunnerdownunder
 Rep: 4 

monkeychow wrote:

I think this shows Axl still reads the media.

Didn't post it in this thread but there was a heavily negative review of the perth show a few days ago.

The whole article went on about how the band was great but Axl's voice was weak and he might have lost it or whatever.

Then days later he comes out in Sydney with apparently ass-kicking vocal rasp and form....seems like a co-incidence.....

I'm praying for rasp in melbourne too! I'd loose my shit for some of those long LALD screams with rasp from the front!

It wasn't a hugely long scream during LALD, but it was certainly raspy and full of quality. Short but f*cking sweet smile His rasp on the final 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door..' before the crowds turn was bonerific. Tho again, crowds participation soon made it limp.

I remember the long scream during Boston 02 I think from memory, man that was good!

I think the Perth show may have just warmed things up nicely and then a few days break afterwards to ensure things are perfect vocal wise.

Thats the thing with GN'R, they have a long break and then start on a new leg, so you never quite know how Axl is going to sound coming into the next leg compared to the previous shows!

Fingers crossed you have a killer show man!

gunnerdownunder

metallex78 wrote:

Great review, thanks Sam!

Seems like he's got a bit of rasp going here... 9 axl

I'm sure I'll enjoy the show I go to this weekend, but I was really hoping we'd get the 3 hour marathons that the US just got... 10
Shame they're not playing Civil War, or Street of Dreams, Madagascar or even TWAT.

Yeah I was hoping for Civil War but perhaps he is choosing songs that suit his current ability to perform the vocals.

TBH Al, I was happy Street of Dreams wasn't played. I remember hearing it from House of Blues back when they made their first reappearance with the new line up (when it was called The Blues) and thinking it sounded promising, but I don't like the studio version at all and I've gone off the song. The studio version really seems like the vocals needed some polishing and smoothing out for me.

The shows were part of the Appetite for Democracy leg (they sold the Appetite for Democracy tees at the gig) and I recall the posters having a picture of the Greatest Hits CD on it, so I think it was being marketed as mainly a Greatest Hits gig. I am not sure including too many CD songs would go down too well as I got the impression the crowd were really a greatest hits crowd.

Reflecting back now on Chinese Democracy, the album, I have to say I am not the biggest fan at all. I was pleased my gf got to hear This I Love as that's her fave. She got excited when she could hear Axl on his monitor tell the crew it was coming up. I was a proud man big_smile She is coming along! haha

Glad you enjoyed the review. Catch up with you soon I hope. 9

gunnerdownunder

misterID wrote:

Great review, I'm glad you enjoyed it smile

I'm shocked you didn't get a bad show, seeing Axl doesn't usually respond very well to a bad crowd. Maybe I shouldn't say bad, but a less energetic crowd. I've seen Axl call out people in the crowd who aren't moving enough or don't seem to be enjoying themselves, so it's clear that bothers him and somehting he focuses on.

A couple of times Axl went to address the crowd and I think he and the band picked up on the dull vibe and kinda just gave up in terms of interaction. At one stage he said "good evening" and I think cheekily then said "good morning".  I get the impression it's a much calmer and professional Axl these days. So he just did the job required and credit to that. Part of me misses the angry, badass Axl that threw people out and went nuts from time to time 16

I noticed Tommy seemed to lack energy and enthusiasm, but a mate tells me he appeared very drunk.

The lack of atmosphere was a let down but I was just thrilled to hear a top performance from Axl and enjoyed appreciating that, as you never know if it will be the last time.

gunnerdownunder

Nice review. Although the 'packed house' part is hardly accurate!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/art … dney-fans/

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I'm sure I'll enjoy the show I go to this weekend, but I was really hoping we'd get the 3 hour marathons that the US just got... 10
Shame they're not playing Civil War, or Street of Dreams, Madagascar or even TWAT.

I read a tweet from Ron complaining about curfews for the shows recently being the reason they've run a little short.  They seem to be starting the shows earlier, no?  What's the curfew over there anyway?

gunnerdownunder

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I read a tweet from Ron complaining about curfews for the shows recently being the reason they've run a little short.  They seem to be starting the shows earlier, no?  What's the curfew over there anyway?

I'm unsure. But they have been kicking off at 8:45pm with little changeover time between ZZ Top finishing.

They played at Allphones Arena in Sydney which is the same venue that played in 07 where they kicked off after 11pm. One of the workers at the stadium told me it caused them a lot of problems in terms of public transport and so forth last time. Allphones Arena is at the site of the Sydney 2000 olympics which as far as I am aware, doesn't have a curfew. Perth I understand went for 2 hours whilst Sydney was a good 2 and a half hours. Perhaps the fact that Axl's vocals in Perth seemed a little on and off had something to do with it.

Both the promotor and Axl have made efforts in the media to make the point that they are trying to get out on stage earlier so I think they are understanding the impact the lateness were having. They don't have the luxury to do it on their own terms anymore with tickets not selling as they once did.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Jungle/Easy from the last show Newcastle 3/13

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
gunnerdownunder wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I'm unsure. But they have been kicking off at 8:45pm with little changeover time between ZZ Top finishing.

They played at Allphones Arena in Sydney which is the same venue that played in 07 where they kicked off after 11pm. One of the workers at the stadium told me it caused them a lot of problems in terms of public transport and so forth last time. Allphones Arena is at the site of the Sydney 2000 olympics which as far as I am aware, doesn't have a curfew. Perth I understand went for 2 hours whilst Sydney was a good 2 and a half hours. Perhaps the fact that Axl's vocals in Perth seemed a little on and off had something to do with it.

Both the promotor and Axl have made efforts in the media to make the point that they are trying to get out on stage earlier so I think they are understanding the impact the lateness were having. They don't have the luxury to do it on their own terms anymore with tickets not selling as they once did.

Could also be what Axl alluded to in that Adelaide interview that when he's made aware of public transportation curfews they try to adhere to them.  Thus, the shorter shows.  Just guessing of course.

Board footer