You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: Guns N' Roses to come to Australia in March 2013

Ali wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Ali wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

Am i wrong or is going back to Australia almost as big of a mistake as if they would have tried arenas again in the US?

Just curious, but why do you feel that would be a mistake?

Too soon after the last tour of the area?  General concern with touring as opposed to studio work?

Ali

Because of the attendance numbers last time and frequency of visits to both.

The attendance numbers in Australia or the US?  I'm completely unaware of the attendance number in Australia in 2010.

I agree it would be a mistake to do an arena tour of the US this year, given the amount of shows that have been played in the last year or so in the US.  But, Australia last saw shows two years ago, which would be a larger gap than between the last two Euro tours.  Which is not to say the timing is ideal, just not surprising given the aforementioned time gap between Euro tours.

Ali

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

They were here in 2007 also.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Aussie wrote:

They were here in 2007 also.

To be honest, I kind of basing my guess/observation on you Aussie. I mean, you're a BIG collector of GN'R stuff and you've always been cool about all the line ups. You've seen each tour (as far as I can recall) that's come through there. And even you're saying that you may pass on it due to frequency of visits without anything new.

I may be off on this, but I don't think the majority of people care whether they have any new music to promote.  Sure we do, but we make up what, 10% of the audience?  Def Leppard toured every year pretty much the last decade off the strength of a 30 year old album, and other classics, and I never saw a dip in attendance.  They did bring along other known acts to open for them, so that did help, but still.  Even when they came out with "Songs From the Sparkle Lounge", people weren't clamoring to hear the new stuff.  They bought tickets to hear the classics.

I'm not saying it's the RIGHT way to do business, but it's just the way it is in this day and age.  I guess we'll see if attendance numbers plummet.  But to this point, I don't think they've felt the effect.  At least not in a way that has forced them to change their business model.  Maybe it needs to get to that point for that to happen.  And maybe this will be that tipping point.  We'll have to wait and see.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Yeah I figure I saw them in 2007 in Perth, plus I flew to Melbourne and saw 2 concerts there on the same tour.  Then saw them again in Perth in 2010 which was a really great performance too!!

But to be here again next year, I'm guessing tickets will again be between $150-$200, I just don't know if it's worth it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I would still go see them, no questions asked, if they toured the states again.  My friends seemed to enjoy themselves enough that they'd be down to go again too.  Hell, we saw Def Leppard play basically the same set for 5 straight years before anyone started asking questions.  2 or more years in between seems to be plenty of time to build up interest again.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

When they come to DC or the Maryland area. I'm in for a show if I can get a seat at a good price. ..And find a way to meet some of the band before or after the show too. A show where I know most of all the set to sing along to, I can live with that if that show comes around.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

GNR have been such a big part of my life that I'll go for sure any time they come.

However, I totally see Aussie's predicament, ticket prices in Australia are very expensive, and realistically, given we can expect an exact clone of one of the indian setlists, and given how Axl's been off-game this year - I can totally understand how people might consider that they've already essentially seen this show a number of times.

As for if attendance will be up or down.

it's hard to say. The history is:

1993 - UYI tour plays Sydney and Melbourne - our two biggest cities - to crowds of 90k or so.

2007 - Robin Era tour plays arena shows in most of the big cities - some cities have multiple dates.

2010 - DJ era plays a car show in Sydney (probably alienating people who didn't want to deal with the motorhead aspect), skips melbourne, and plays 2 or 3 other dates - some in state capitals - but also some surprising regional dates.

So there's an argument to say in 2013 it's been a while since we had a full tour - especially if they hit up the towns skipped in 2010. So I think there would still be enough demand to work a tour.

That said, I also feel that - based on facebook, blogs, radio calls etc - the australian classic rock public is pretty UYI era focused - and I think the novelty of a "new GNR" that mostly plays classic hits only wears off. Impression I get is that Axl needs to either come out with a strong catalogue of his own new stuff (like slash) or if he's going to play hits do it with Slash/Duff. Not saying it's right - just saying that's the sort of reaction I get when I mention new-gnr to anyone - response is always "it's not really GNR" and playing Jungle and Estranged really don't help that.

However, Axl's music has ment the world to me so I'll go...and pending what's happening with work - I might try and travel and see a few shows and maybe work out another Evo meet up...as had some fun hanging with you guys in the past!

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Hope that works out for ya Monkey. I would say if you are really into the concept and the asking ticket price is fair, then enjoy the show and have a blast. I can understand where the rest of you are coming from. Axl has had his off moments these tours; but I've seen some great moments none the less. Hell I can't hit some of the notes he can still do; so I can't really judge his singing that much. The band is playing the songs I want to hear live despite my need for them to throw in Oh My God, Yesterdays, and some new material to let bumblefoot fortus frank and the others shine and move forward as a band and not be treated as a covers/tribute band. So whatever goes down in a future U.S. tour i'll make sure to get a plan together.

Like Monkey, recently alot of axl songs have spoken to me and helped me get through some depressed moods. Usually feelings of heart break, isolation, and loneliness. Which we all face at points in our lives. While other tracks kept me energized and in a rocking kind of mood. Even songs from CD.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

GN'R played sold out multiple dates in 20,000 seaters in 2007, and played stadium shows at car race events in 2010, but those numbers may have been made up of an audience (motoring enthusiasts) who wouldn't normally have gone to see them on their own.

2007 was billed on the ticket as the Chinese Democracy world tour, even though Jarmo argued to death about it with me at the time, that "the band didn't call it that, the promoter did..." Yeah, fuckin right... 16

Anyway, so what would this tour in 2013 be billed as, especially with no new product or future plans? Just another cash grab tour?

GN'R are still a big draw, but whether they can pull big crowds again, remains to be seen.
I'd actually welcome a smaller intimate gig, like this recent Vegas run.

And let's not forget the most important thing.... I will get to finally hear The SEEKER live after ALL these years!!!! 17 14 14

Board footer