You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Elementary School Shooting in US

monkeychow wrote:

It's like having a right to own a microwave in a world where it's illegal to cook food.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Buzz is right. Gun laws just take the guns away from the average citizen. The black market is insane. Right now I could buy a gun from one of my drug dealers easier than I can from an actual store. No background check either. Having said that, I do think there needs to be mandatory sentences for people buying machine guns. Dont ban them as people will buy them anyways. Give automatic 10 year sentences to people who are caught with them. That's how you get them off the streets.

Guns aren't the only weapons. I could kill you just as easily with a knife as I could with a gun. Gun shots are survivable. If I had my choice, I'd take a gun shot over being stabbed any day of the week. You guys are forgetting one of the most famous school massacres in the 90s....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_school_massacre

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Classy move by Yankees SS Derek Jeter.  Apparently he called and spoke to the mother and family of Victoria Soto, one of the teachers that was killed.

Steve @EsqSteve

HUGE props to Derek Jeter who just called Victoria Soto's family to offer condolences. Big props to him and the Yankees.

Carlee Soto @ICarlee23

Derek Jeter just called my mom!!!!! ? Thanks Vicki, she needs it ? thank you @yankees this meant a lot to my mother and all of us. ??

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Kim Thayil's Beard wrote:

Guns aren't the only weapons. I could kill you just as easily with a knife as I could with a gun.

Yes, but in the end, on average guns are more efficient at killing, it's why you arm your soldiers and police with them not just knives.

Even with the osaka massacre, it doesn't change the statistics that similar crimes happen more often in places with lots of guns, and that the scope of the harm in such a crime is always worse with a gun.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Alright, seriously people.

Some family member with blue, paintbrushed hair doing the devil sign.

20121219184724134.jpg

Child in the middle doing the devil sign when sucking her fingers. Child next to her appears to miss legs. The hair of the third child on the far right is painted blue at parts.

article-2248823-16888C2E000005DC-413_634x421.jpg

Same family, again the girl in the middle is making a devil sign. Same dress in both photos.

29xfy8h.jpg

Grieving father having a laugh before going on national tv asking for donations.

sandy-hook-psyop-o.gif

Not saying this didn't happen, but clearly the media is taking the piss here.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Um...

Lost about what you're saying...

Surely the hair is just refracting colours from the bright clothes? It's just the lighting  and that it's blonde/white hair I'd have thought....

And surely this just shows the little kid has a habbit of sucking her middle fingers?

What would the media be saying? That making those signs brings this on? What about a metallica concert then?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

As for the father cracking a smile...people respond to pressure and grief in different ways...that he's able to crack a smile and make a shitty joke in front of a camera crew out the front of the press conference to ease an awkward moment doesn't mean he doesn't cry his lungs out to hell in his bedroom at night or whatever....

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

1st, lets cut all the generalties about America. Whether or not you intend it to be an insult, it is.

Again, none of us has said we are against gun control. We've pointed out that we've had an assualt weapons ban for a decade that didn't work, so that's not going to solve the problem. We've pointed to the fact that America is incomparable to any other nations, just based on size, the population and the amount of guns in circulation (over 300 million). We've pointed to the facts that you cannot change our constitution and ban guns, that's not reality. We've pointed to evidence that mental health is the biggest factor in these mass shootings, that many have been prevented and that with smart gun control legislation, this is where the priority needs to be set -- I've personally shown where these profiles (4 distinct personality traits) have been created and documented by the Secret Service and FBI so it is not "impossible" to find these people. Nearly every one of these mass shootings someone has tried to warn the authroities but nothing is in place to deal with the mental health threat. We need a better system and protocol to deal with it, which is more effectve than an unrealistsic and emotional debate on guns. Just like the evidence that high crime communities are helped more by funding in education, economy and social help such as cutting down on teen pregnancy and unstable homes, have a much higher success of curbing gun violence than the strictest gun law.

But all of this is ignored. Because it doesn't include banning guns.

No logical debate can be had in this thread, so I'm bowing out. For the most part, it was good for venting, just not reasoning. Maybe that's what people need right now. I don't know.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

polluxlm you're way off base. If you saw the press conference that father gave you'd know how assanine that statement is. He showed incredible strength and courage to do that press conference FOR HIS DAUGHTER and it was one of the most emotional moments of this whole situation for me. Yes, you can laugh and smile (he was talking about his daughter not liking to try new foods when describing who she was, fyi). Not everyone is going to lock themselves away in a bedroom and not come out. It showed strength in what that family did, especially when they are attempting to sustain some sense of normalcy for their CHILDREN instead of falling to pieces and making this terrible tragedy even worse for their family.

And that is not the devil sign. People use those hand gestures for sports teams, such as the Texas Longhorns.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Um...

Lost about what you're saying...

Surely the hair is just refracting colours from the bright clothes? It's just the lighting  and that it's blonde/white hair I'd have thought....

And surely this just shows the little kid has a habbit of sucking her middle fingers?

What would the media be saying? That making those signs brings this on? What about a metallica concert then?

He's wearing a blue shirt, not a sweater of blue lights. I've never seen an effect that strong and that localized in real life or in pictures before.

If that was the only incident, possible. But here we have 3 different photos from 2 families of people making devil signs. I know Obama likes to do that, but I wouldn't expect the kid to know that and think of that as appropriate behavior when meeting the President after her sister has been killed. I'd also think the editor at the paper would pick any picture besides that, unless he wanted it specifically. I can't remember any old uncles doing it at get togethers either. Maybe some weird freak family, but not a straight family with teachers and social workers, several of which I have in my own family.

I don't know what the media be saying, but I'd say these pictures are clearly staged and/or propped.

As for the father cracking a smile...people respond to pressure and grief in different ways...that he's able to crack a smile and make a shitty joke in front of a camera crew out the front of the press conference to ease an awkward moment doesn't mean he doesn't cry his lungs out to hell in his bedroom at night or whatever....

Yeah they may act weird and stuff, but they will clearly appear grief stricken. One of my classmates died in a car crash when he was 15. I've seen grief, many different versions of it but this here just isn't it. Not only should his eyes be dead red from crying and sleep deprivation, but he isn't even crying. The reason loved ones usually don't want to hold a damn speech when in pain is because it hurts just thinking about it, much less talking about it in front of cameras.

And who the hell talks about money in a time like this?

I've also seen my share of movies over the years, and imo this is clearly a guy going into character. And it's not just him, it's almost every interview. Lack of tears and emotion, inappropriate smiling and laughing. Never ever have I seen people acting like this in a tragedy and I went to 3 teenage funerals back in school. It took months for them to even mention it. Several of the parents have still not gotten over it, 15 years past.

Board footer