You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Elementary School Shooting in US

Bono wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

There are millions of guns already here bono.  That fact trumps whatever situation you can come up with from somewhere else.  No law is going to change that.  Millions of guns that the bad guys aren't giving up and many of the legal gun owners aren't giving up.

Round and round we go.  Until you understand that, you just make yourself look stupid.  Normally I wouldn't be that blunt, but if you're going to call me a six year old for understanding how things are in my country, I'm going to call you stupid for continuing to not understand how things are.

I fully understand that. What you don't seem to understand is that it needs to start somewhere and if you don't even bother to start than ya might as well nuke yourselves cause it's only gonna get worse.  It took 200 years to create this culture but 200 years in the grand scheme of things is nothing so why would you let 200 years decide your fate for eternity?

Your thought process is a defeatist attitude and yes you come off like a  scared little six year old kid the more you go on and on with this bullshit idea that more guns equals more safety. you also come off no different than the "cool kid" in high school who thinks everyone idolizes them when the reality is everyone  is looking at you thinking WTF. 

I live in Canada. Right next door dude. I've also been all over the United States from Alaska to Texas and everywhere in between.  America isn't some big mystery you pretend it is.  You act as if we're all clueless to you guys. Wake up dude. Stop with the bullshit that we could never understand. We get it. You have a fucked up culture when it comes to guns. What we don't get is your relaxed attitude towards fixing the problem and your complete lack of common sense on the topic that nothing can ever be done. The only one looking stupid is you because in your  mind there is no possible way the solution could ever be fixed and in your arrogance you refuse to acknowledge what the rest of the world knows. You think we're all so stupid as to think the problem can be fixed tomorrow but that's not at all the case. Nobody thinks the problem can be fixed instantly but if you never take steps to fix the problem things only get worse. America's problem is attitude's like your's. A defeatist attitude that the bad guys have already won so if ya can't beat'em join'em. That's is such an awful attitude.   

Whatever. It's like talking to an arrogant wall.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Bono have you ever thought we just simply 'don't care' to fix the problem?

We don't want it fixed. I haven't heard one bit of people sitting around here in my area talking about gun control needing to be fixed. If anything they've talked about how gun laws need to be strengthened in favor of gun owners.

The only people to my knowledge, or my area (just making a point to say, i'm NOT America as a whole) that are making a big deal about this are the American media, and pretty much everyone outside of this country that are confused why gun control isn't the popular choice.

We like our guns. It's not changing. (but it can if we just start here)

WE don't WANT IT started. This is America. Born to die, and die hard.

Honest to God, i'd be fascinated to go live somewhere (maybe further north?) for awhile and just kinda get a feel for a country without them just to see the different attitude. Like I said before, i've always been around them, so much to the point that you look right past them. Like a hammer hanging on a wall. Oh there's a gun, big deal. I've got them, and I don't even think i've fired them in two years, which is way too long just to make sure they are staying operable.

DCK said it, "Americans are scared of their government and Europeans are scared of their people". Says it all.

Americans 'fear' their government so much, that their government is the FIRST person they call for a handout, regulation, supplies, etc. But 364 out of 365 days of the year they bitch about government encroaching on their life.

In other words... we don't know what we want. It's like this, because it's always been like this. And we don't want it changed, because it's familiar.

I don't think anyone outside of America is stupid, nor in it. I just think it's a cultural thing that anyone who wasn't born and raised here in that culture doesn't get why we aren't really that concerned by it. Just like I don't understand why Canadians wouldn't willing want guns in their life. But then again after this tragedy, I can understand why they would see it that way. Definitely.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Bono, it's not arrogance when I'm right.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Buzzsaw, defender of human confidence. 16

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:
Aussie wrote:

I see those volunteer firefighters were shot at and 2 killed.  I suppose the NRA will come out with their solution being that they now need to arm the firefighters and volunteers.

Obviously. Because firefighters and teachers are 'normal people' which means no one of them will ever 'snap' and shoot anyone.

This is a list of school shootings in the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sc … ted_States

And for the rest of the world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

Speaks volumes doesn't it?

And, the black day of Europe, the Dunblane massacre in 1996
"Dumb" British politicians decided to do something about it:

In response to this public debate, the then-current Conservative government introduced a ban on all cartridge ammunition handguns with the exception of .22 calibre single-shot weapons in England, Scotland and Wales. Following the 1997 General Election, the Labour government of Tony Blair introduced the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997, banning the remaining .22 cartridge handguns in England, Scotland and Wales, and leaving only muzzle-loading and historic handguns legal, as well as certain sporting handguns (e.g. "Long-Arms") that fall outside the Home Office Definition of a "Handgun" due to their dimensions. The ban does not affect Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands.

No school shootings have happened since then in the UK. Since Columbine in 98, the list goes on and on.

Accidents not counted, 561 children have been killed by guns between 2006 and 2010.

The weapon of choice outside the US isn't the gun, but there are still incidents at schools.  And when they do happen, they are massive (see the Finland shooting or wherever that was) because nobody can do a damn thing TO STOP THE CRAZY PERSON that is killing people.

It's the person, not the gun.  I'm not sure how many times this has to be repeated before you guys get it.

Finland had the most leanient gun laws in Scandinavia, and perhaps Europe. They have way more guns per household than the rest of us. Go figure they had a few shootings. If they had any fucking common sense, and I think they do, they have been changing their laws since then. I would be surprised if they did not. It's only in YOUR country you adopt that dumb attitude of what Bono says; "giving up, can't beat them, join them". A complete laughing stock to the rest of us, even Canadians living the closest to you.

Usually, when I write, I tend to outsiders to correct my work. I can't do it myself. I write myself blind on my own mistakes and idiotic ideas. So I go to outsiders. Not my wife, not my parents, not my family. Outsiders with no real connection to me. They see the obvious faults, and correct them. If you see what I'm trying to say.

Even gun-loving Finland — with 45 firearms for every 100 people — tightened its laws after two school shootings in 2007 and 2008, raising the minimum age for firearms ownership and giving police greater powers to make background checks on individuals applying for a gun license.

We get it. There are so many guns in circulation. WE GET IT. Jesus, it's like trying to debate with five year olds. Don't you think we know you have a shit load of guns? Finland got shit load of guns too, and they decided to do something about it. Britain decided to do something about it. You don't. You're the only people in the world, except Somalia maybe, that think guns are the solution to a gun problem. It's like fighting fire with fire.

It's the person, not the gun.  I'm not sure how many times this has to be repeated before you guys get it.

Oh yeah, we all get it. We get that it's the dumbest argument ever put out. It's shit we laugh about. I mean the Canadians must laught the loudest, as you're basically saying Americans are dumber than them. Dumber and for some reason have a considerable amount of more nutjobs. Perhaps it truly is, as one Texan once said to me  "it's something in the water".

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

This is why I'm glad I live in the US and would never consider living anywhere else.  You guys have a completely warped view of what the reality is in this country.

You don't get it at all or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

DCK

DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

This is why I'm glad I live in the US and would never consider living anywhere else.  You guys have a completely warped view of what the reality is in this country.

You don't get it at all or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Bono mentioned arrogance?

And what did you say about Finland again? Oh wait, they reacted and went for more control, not arming their teachers.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

It's not arrogance, it's fact.  None of this is my opinion.  I don't own a gun.  I don't want to own a gun.  That doesn't blind me to the reality of the situation.

DCK

DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It's not arrogance, it's fact.  None of this is my opinion.  I don't own a gun.  I don't want to own a gun.  That doesn't blind me to the reality of the situation.

Oh, it's arrogance.

That and complete surrender to a hopeless situation.

This is why I'm glad I live in the US and would never consider living anywhere else.

Arrogance right there.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Buzz has never said anything about not having gun laws. Pass them. We both just know it will have no effect. We've had them. Again, the answer is a lot more complex than the broad, non-specific "it needs to start somehwere" and my favorite "Your culture is fucked up" coming from people who literally have no understanding of it and continue to throw generalities out there, because A) they have no real answer on how to deal with "our " problem and B) no understanding of that problem.

This isn't doom and gloom, I gave several solutions, you guys refused to hear it because it didn't include banning guns, which is an impossibility.

Board footer