You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: GNR according to The Manual

Bono wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I mean what is it you guys actually think? Axl's just really lazy? Really stupid?.

This ^ As well as not as talented anymore as people want to believe. I know that's hard for people to even begin to admit but face facts. For a so called musical genius he's done fuck all the last 20 years.  Also I've never believed Axl is as smart as people like to suggest. he's a psuedo intellect.  He thinks he's smart, he talks big, uses big words but at the end of the day he's not that bright.  A bright person could've been put in the exact same position this guy was in in 1998 and done way more than Axl has just by doing simple common sense things but Axl can't even do that.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting but that's why I think there's more to it.

As you said it's common sense.

So to me it's implausible that Axl's so dumb he doesn't see ideas that people with no industry experience can even see, letalone the kind of professional media and market advice a person with his wealth and fame could access. Yet nothing changes. Dozens of mangers. It has to be more than he's just dumb.

I suspect the real reason is that in private maybe there's more that goes on than we know. Maybe he's upset a lot, or has anxiety or other emotional/psychological distractions that really hardcore derail things and what we get is the best he can do to keep it together? Speculation. But it would make more sense to me than just him being lazy.

As for the talent. Depends on how you measure it. Even if he never does anything again - he's one of the all time greatest rock frontmen in history, AFD is one of the classic rock albums of all time (not to mention UYI is pretty well regarded too). I don't think that kind of talent just goes away...but then it may be the aforementioned other issues I suspect exist interfere with creative activities too I guess.

Some of the things that happen are against his own best interests, which is what makes me think there's something psychological at play as well...because it's sort of hard to believe that someone can write such amazing works in the past, and get ot the place GNR was, then lose all sense of business acumen, not be able to write anymore, and become too lazy or dumb to do simple things. That doesn't happen to people. Not unless there's problems we don't know about.

As for him being an intellect. I think his skill isn't so much raw IQ or brains as such as perspective. He looks at things, words, emotions, people in an unusual way and was able to capture that into music. Gives him a strong creative voice to me. So for that reason I believe his future works if they happen could also speak to me.

But from all we know of Axl and his dislike of lies, media and all the rest of it...I do sometimes question if running an organisation like GNR is good for him. Seems he gets lost in the business, lawsuits and all the drama and it fucks with his music...one of the reasons old GNR was quite prolific within a short time I think was Axl only had to worry about the lyrics back then...now that he runs everything...it's too much for a person with a tendency to obsess over details.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Sorry, but I don't believe that even the long time dead John  Lennon can be more productive in the 2000s than Axl. If he wanted to release music, he could have done it.

1, I'm not sure about Uni forcing the reunion so badly that they wouldn't release something _already recorded_ that would still sell relatively well (compared to other artists). No further invest, big income = ideal deal for them.

2, Axl could play a shitload of unheard songs live. Would it spread through the Internet? Yes, it would. But only those would listen, who actually care and would buy the album anyway.

3, Axl could release any shit he wants under his name. He wouldn't need to promote it, wouldn't need to tour behind it (he could go on with his nostalgia cash grab).

4, Axl could release it through the Internet, or like some fake "leak".

An artist wants to create and does create. An artist, if not a crazy recluse would release it in some form. Axl was anything but a recluse in the past years with his tribute world tours. An artist, especially with the amount of money Axl has, wouldn't be so worried about the financial aspect. He would care about the artistic aspect though. Axl seems to care too much about the financial issues (making, relasing new music is expensive and risky, while nostalgia tours make a lot of money). The nostalgia tours of the past years are more of a prostituation of himself than any real reunion could be.

Face the facts.

1, Axl has been touring the old hits for years.

2, Axl hasn't put soul, work, anything into it. It's the same shit every night with a new 40-year old cover popping up every second year.

3, The bandmembers look like cheap copies of the old band. Even the shows are promoted with nostalgia artwork. They hire strippers, for God's sake. They "revisit" The Ritz.

4, No work on new material since 2006. Officially.

1+2+3+4= he has no motivation to do anything new and artistic in the foreseeable future.

Also, monkey, take into consideration that as Axl's mind and music taste changed in the past, it could have changed again. Maybe he doesn't care anymore about that industrial stuff they recorded more than a decade ago. Maybe he's more interested in revisiting his youth and wants to make a classic rock album with DJ and Fortus.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

You make some great points.

I'm not trying to be a jarmo and pretend all is perfect with the band, lots of things are indefensible.

What i'd like to know is what does stop him from releasing music. I mean he used to be able to do it. AFD came out. Lies came out etc etc. Whatever that thing is - I hope it can be removed - he gave some great songs to the world and I kinda believe if we could help whatever's upset him - maybe he could do it again.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Mikka, I'm sure Axl cares about the financial issues now, but that never stopped him from spending a grotesque amount of money on Chinese democracy. Best Buy saved his arse. I wish they'd have only got half the deal, maybe he would have been forced into releasing the rest by now to recoup his expenditure.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

You make some great points.

I'm not trying to be a jarmo and pretend all is perfect with the band, lots of things are indefensible.

What i'd like to know is what does stop him from releasing music. I mean he used to be able to do it. AFD came out. Lies came out etc etc. Whatever that thing is - I hope it can be removed - he gave some great songs to the world and I kinda believe if we could help whatever's upset him - maybe he could do it again.

Parts of me are convinced it took so long simply cause the material wasnt good enough.

Axl isnt gonna release something subpar.

Lets say Better and TWAT came later... picture cd without those two songs... take fan hat off... would be Terrible

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

How experimental do some of you guys think that rusting vault really is? We heard the same thing about CD itself but other than a few strong tracks its a mediocre UYI III. While Axl loves to flip flop and blow smoke up asses, he claims that the supposed 2nd album is just like CD but "darker".

While mildly intriguing, the concept of a "darker" Chinese Democracy doesn't sound very experimental to me. It would be more of the same(by his own admission). IMO the only people who would consider a CD II experimental are those who said CD was "incredibly complex" and had "the greatest production in music history".

I think a lot of people still do what some of us old timers did many years ago. You picture the album in your mind to be mind blowing manna from heaven. The insane and unrealistic hype/expectations was a contributing factor as well.

Honestly, I'd be happy with one really heavy song that's slightly catchy. I also realize it's too much to ask for...

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

My guess is Axl isn't bothered putting an album out 'cause he cannot make enough cash out of it and he is probably too sensitive to face up to the scrutiny.
Its all about the $$$$ now and when you are 50 years old (with a whole family of hangers on to pay) I guess that's inevitable.

I think Axl and Team Brazil know that the re-birth of GNR has been botched so many times that its too late. GNR are now in the same holding pattern as Motley Crew, Faith No more, STP etc.. They left such huge gaps in their output that the fans stopped caring and will only show up in large numbers for the hits. 

So its either: be 50 years old play your new shit in club gigs (where you haven't been since you were a boy) or else play the Greatest Hits and fill a shed/arena, taking home more retirement cash.

U2, Metallica, PJ, Bon Jovi etc escaped this fate as they stayed together and kept working. Soundgarden don't seem to care about the money so seem free to do as they please.

Its about the money now and nothing else. Why bother being an artist when you believe that the whole world has been colluding to stop that happening.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

My guess is Axl isn't bothered putting an album out 'cause he cannot make enough cash out of it and he is probably too sensitive to face up to the scrutiny.
Its all about the $$$$ now and when you are 50 years old (with a whole family of hangers on to pay) I guess that's inevitable.

I think Axl and Team Brazil know that the re-birth of GNR has been botched so many times that its too late. GNR are now in the same holding pattern as Motley Crew, Faith No more, STP etc.. They left such huge gaps in their output that the fans stopped caring and will only show up in large numbers for the hits. 

So its either: be 50 years old play your new shit in club gigs (where you haven't been since you were a boy) or else play the Greatest Hits and fill a shed/arena, taking home more retirement cash.

U2, Metallica, PJ, Bon Jovi etc escaped this fate as they stayed together and kept working. Soundgarden don't seem to care about the money so seem free to do as they please.

Its about the money now and nothing else. Why bother being an artist when you believe that the whole world has been colluding to stop that happening.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Bono wrote:

The last person you would have ever thought who'd be satisfied with being a  geriatric nostalgia act who's setlist is more predictable than the sun rising in the east and setting in the west was Axl Rose.

True.

You'd think he'd be exactly the kind of person to sneer at RRHOF and release a digital single with Deadmau5.

Just going against the railing, keeping a high-profile as a recording artist, always having an unbiased ear for good music. And heckling whenever he gets the chance.

Too true, he only does the last bit 17

Board footer