You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Manets
 Rep: 9 

Re: Skwerl's post on MyGNR regarding his leak and his source

Manets wrote:

i'm just going to copy and paste my own words from some email threads... with some notes added here and there. you guys have a lot of wacky speculation going on here. the statute of limitations has run out on a civil suit, so i'll tell more of the story soon.

i get asked about this idea of an azoff conspiracy a lot. i have no evidence supporting it. but regardless of the factors that led me to acquire it, the leak was definitely used to the label's advantage, and directly enabled them to finally release it.

i believe delays would have continued without some sort of event.. be it a leak, or axl getting hit by a donut truck, or something that put axl / old guns into the public consciousness. they wanted to do a deal like best buy where they could just dump it for one lump sum because they didn't believe it would sell. for that to happen, best buy needed to believe people cared. the label used the hype about the leaks to close that deal. we have evidence of all of this from our investigation, and had we gone to trial, it would have been a big part of our case.

yes, people have drawn lines through billy/apc and nin connections. but you can't throw a rock in hollywood without hitting someone who worked on chinese democracy. i know people closer to it than billy. it's a small world.

my leaks didn't come from any of the apc or nin guys, or anyone i met at universal.

yeah, antiquiet wasn't "established" in june of 2008, but it was older than this thread says it was. we published an exclusive bombshell interview with josh homme in 2007, where he put interscope on blast and pissed off half the industry. we never waited for anyone to give us a story, we went out and took it. take that however you'd like.

re: "...When eventually allowed time to think, ‘Skwerl’ was able to pinpoint the origins of the Antiquiet leaks. With the context of Axl’s very public fall-out with Mr. Azoff as support, does anybody else suspect that Kevin Cogill came to the same apparently ‘bat shit crazy’ conclusion as Axl Rose?"

haha... message board kids have a lot of free time and very active imaginations.

when the fbi first asked me, i had a story, but i didn't know if it was true. and i wasn't about to give the fbi information i wasn't sure of. nor was i going to give them any names of anyone at all before speaking with a lawyer. by the time the case was over, we had investigated everything and confirmed what we needed to. and we confirmed that the original story was true. so i wasn't sure at first, but now i am.

not that someone just handed it to me in a back alley, i was going after it. but i had no idea if i'd been lied to along the way or not.

a lot of people have asked me about the azoff conspiracy theory. i haven't seen any evidence of it, and we went really deep. i'm afraid to say what is more likely, because then you guys will go crazy on that. but if there was someone behind some conspiracy, i wouldn't bet on azoff.

and it wouldn't need to be a conspiracy anyway, what you're talking about is just how labels work.

also, fernando's a bitch. and as i told syndicate, he had nothing to do with anything i ever got.

also there are about 10 new tracks out there.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/to … try3317015

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Hmmm.

I find comments like "I'm afraid to say what is more likely, because then you guys will go crazy on that." kind of frustrating. Say something, or don't.

So there's 10 new leaks? That sounds like a lot.

Lomax wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Hmmm.

I find comments like "I'm afraid to say what is more likely, because then you guys will go crazy on that." kind of frustrating. Say something, or don't.

So there's 10 new leaks? That sounds like a lot.

If there are TEN new leaks all at once, it's safe to assume the record label is doing this to pressure yet another release. OR an old manager put this in motion before being fired. Doc Mc Ghee or somebody.

I don't like the  "Oh and Ps The world is gonna end" appraoch of tacking that comment on at the end

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

AtomsNest wrote:

roll Why does it take all this leaking drama for Axl to release something? I'm tempted to think it's a PR stunt from Uni and they're trying to generate some hype/interest. But it's more likely that Axl just plan won't put out the 10 songs unless his hand is forced. 

If these new songs are going to leak, I hope it's soon.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Mixed Views.

If there really are 10 new songs I'm excited. Axl's my favourite songwriter so I'm super keen to hear anything new of his - especially cos although it's different to old GNR I did like the stuff on Chinese Democracy a lot.

At the same time I feel sorry for the band that it always seems to happen like this.

If it follows the same pattern - leaks - then a release YEARS after - then it kind of takes the wind out of their sails (and maybe sales too lol) on release day as it just makes formal what we all already had for months.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

If u think, its already been 4 yrs since CD.............. so will there be another decade between releases?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
-D- wrote:

If u think, its already been 4 yrs since CD.............. so will there be another decade between releases?

We're well on the way.

I'd guestimate it like this:

Assuming songs are sort of mostly done (like Checkmate)...then it's:

(a) Additional overdubs of DJ's guitar (3 Months)
(b) Additional recording tweaks (3 Months) (eg - this song is missing a frank snare hit / just needs a new last line of singing)
(c) Hardcore protools cutting and pasting to finalise arrangements / add samples (6 months)
(d) Mixing/Mastering (6 Months)
(e) Label lead time for release (6 Months)

So we're looking at 2 years away...and that's not including:

1. Any delay caused by lack of inspiration / other distractions for Axl
2. Any delay caused by standoff with label over cost issues / promotion etc
3. Any delay caused by starting new material from scratch.
4. Any rest after current world tours.

So I could see it EASILY being 6 or more years from CD's release before the next album....I'd love to be wrong...but those are how i'd guess it considering what we've been told of the status of recordings etc

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

This is the wrong thread for this mini rant, but everytime i try to accept this band and take it for what it is and move forward.. I can't cause I keep coming back to this thought:

Axl had his own vision and plan for what he wanted GNR to be...... It seemed to me he wanted to do his vision, his style etc etc... seemed like old band was holding him back etc...

So u get the name, complete control and u do what with it???

Thats why I keep getting back to the same aggravated hater place... U got everything u wanted so why the fuck have u ran it into the ground like this?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
-D- wrote:

This is the wrong thread for this mini rant, but everytime i try to accept this band and take it for what it is and move forward.. I can't cause I keep coming back to this thought:

Axl had his own vision and plan for what he wanted GNR to be...... It seemed to me he wanted to do his vision, his style etc etc... seemed like old band was holding him back etc...

So u get the name, complete control and u do what with it???

Thats why I keep getting back to the same aggravated hater place... U got everything u wanted so why the fuck have u ran it into the ground like this?

Exactly. And he was so convinced that the old band would actually be the ones to run GN'R into the ground, but he went and did it himself... 14

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I think he only partially got what he wanted.

In an ideal world for him I'd guess Slash/Duff/Matt wouldn't leave the band but would carry on indefinitely as employees and without any ability to put pressure on him to meet their own creative goals or timelines.

This would give him the ability to add their top notch stuff to any of his vision that does happen to suit their style, and also cherry pick their best ideas for use - that is the 1 or 2 songs he'd like out of the album after album of hard rock ideas slash/Duff would keep submitting, but free him from the expectations of HAVING to make a UYI2 or so on.

Meanwhile he could persue the NIN sound, nirvana sound, orchestral, instrumental or whatever else was flavour of the month.

Unfortunately this didn't happen....and it started a pretty big cycle of finding and replacing suitable and talented folks.

The questions is - why - even now when the band is somewhat stable in line up does nothing happen?

My guess is that being CEO is a big ask for someone with a sensitive and detailed personality like Axl.

He's the kind of guy who seems to care about small details and about what people say in detail and so on.

I think he's in a bit of a bind...because of his creative temperament and his vision he NEEDs to be in total control - but total control is BAD for him - he gets lost in endless law suits and worry and bullshit and it mutes his creativity.

At the end of the day he's a creative genius musical writer type....which isn't necessarily the same skill set as being to manage something like GNR - which is a multimillion dollar international brand operating in various industries all at once.

Board footer