You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Skwerl's post on MyGNR regarding his leak and his source

buzzsaw wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know Mikka.  I saw both Slash and Axl play last year and there was quite a bit of the long gone past on both sides.  Sure, Slash is playing some newer stuff (as is Axl for the record), but the reaction from the fans on both sides comes from the classic GnR stuff.  Slash will never get away from that any more than Axl will no matter what they do.  That's the life of being that well known for something.

Obviously. They will never be able to top that, or come even close to the glory of those old days.

But Slash actually makes albums. Axl released (was supposedly forced to release...) 1 record in 20 years, containing mostly stuff leaked years before. Slash is doing kick-ass live shows with changing setlists and he's one of the best touring rock acts of today, without a doubt. While fans always need to make excuses for Axl's performances and his stable boring sets. Slash is playing better than ever, Axl is singing worse than ever. So when it comes to Slash, it's very easy to like his present. All Axl can offer you is past and fake nostalgia.

I hear what you're saying.  If you like Slash's present then you're right.  I'm not a huge fan.

The more I think about it, the less bothered I am with Axl's setlist (other then the solos and covers).  What can he do?  He has to play the hits.  If Slash played a 3 hour (or longer) set, I think you'd find a lot less variety than you're seeing now.  He has songs he has to play too, so he's mostly switching out the newer songs - songs many people don't care if he plays or doesn't play.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know Mikka.  I saw both Slash and Axl play last year and there was quite a bit of the long gone past on both sides.  Sure, Slash is playing some newer stuff (as is Axl for the record), but the reaction from the fans on both sides comes from the classic GnR stuff.  Slash will never get away from that any more than Axl will no matter what they do.  That's the life of being that well known for something.

Obviously. They will never be able to top that, or come even close to the glory of those old days.

But Slash actually makes albums. Axl released (was supposedly forced to release...) 1 record in 20 years, containing mostly stuff leaked years before. Slash is doing kick-ass live shows with changing setlists and he's one of the best touring rock acts of today, without a doubt. While fans always need to make excuses for Axl's performances and his stable boring sets. Slash is playing better than ever, Axl is singing worse than ever. So when it comes to Slash, it's very easy to like his present. All Axl can offer you is past and fake nostalgia.

I hear what you're saying.  If you like Slash's present then you're right.  I'm not a huge fan.

The more I think about it, the less bothered I am with Axl's setlist (other then the solos and covers).  What can he do?  He has to play the hits.  If Slash played a 3 hour (or longer) set, I think you'd find a lot less variety than you're seeing now.  He has songs he has to play too, so he's mostly switching out the newer songs - songs many people don't care if he plays or doesn't play.

buzz, this would make sense, but you obviously don't follow Slash's setlist, so your argument is based on assumptions and not the reality.

In fact, Slash only plays Nightrain, SCOM, Rocket Queen, Paradise City (and The Godfather and Slither if you count them) of the hits every night. While the other regular songs he has are Ghost, Starlight and Back from Cali from Slash I, and Anastacia, Halo, No More Heroes and You're a Lie off Slash II.
He rotates Jungle, Out Ta Get Me, Brownstone, My Michelle and You're Crazy from the GN'R catalogue (like 2 of them per night). The other rotated songs are either from his solo albums, or from the Snakepits.
He almost or completely dropped Patience, Civil War and the first single By The Sword from the set. Fall to Pieces isn't played too often either.

So it's hardly a GN'R nostalgia-fueled setlist (not more than 1/3 GN'R), although yes, the audience likes those songs (and Anastacia) the most. If Slash could have dropped so many old songs and managed to play for larger and larger crowds, then Axl could do that, too. But the biggest improvement of the last months was adding 2 more 40-year old covers. That's the difference.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/slash-6bd6aeca.html

johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

What can he do?  He has to play the hits.  Slash... has songs he has to play too

this is a fallacy.

as is the idea most other bands' fans don't care about the setlist. (& it's not just GnR who have hardcore fans who go to multiple shows. *tho GnR are a special case because it's been p much the same setlist for 11 fucking years now, not just night to night on a certain leg!!)

they don't HAVE to adhere to that policy, they choose to. they choose the safety of it.
people are paying for a show. it's the performers decision as to what the show will entail. it's not up to the punters to demand the hits.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I think some of you are being unfair to Slash. The man is TRYING and succeeding, without GNR on the posters at the big venues he packs out.

He has a legacy which he naturally must serve to please a portion of his fan base but he does work his unit like a fluid functioning well managed band with new tunes and strong communication with fans etc

His output may have been patchy but he has had the balls to deliver said output and stand over it. I know of no other guitar player who has ever done what he has done.

For that he gets my vote as the one who was most hard done by when it comes to the destiny he could have had. He has proven he was the business engine of GNR whose role Axl could not fill when it all became his.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

buzz, this would make sense, but you obviously don't follow Slash's setlist, so your argument is based on assumptions and not the reality.

In fact, Slash only plays Nightrain, SCOM, Rocket Queen, Paradise City (and The Godfather and Slither if you count them) of the hits every night. While the other regular songs he has are Ghost, Starlight and Back from Cali from Slash I, and Anastacia, Halo, No More Heroes and You're a Lie off Slash II.
He rotates Jungle, Out Ta Get Me, Brownstone, My Michelle and You're Crazy from the GN'R catalogue (like 2 of them per night). The other rotated songs are either from his solo albums, or from the Snakepits.
He almost or completely dropped Patience, Civil War and the first single By The Sword from the set. Fall to Pieces isn't played too often either.

So it's hardly a GN'R nostalgia-fueled setlist (not more than 1/3 GN'R), although yes, the audience likes those songs (and Anastacia) the most. If Slash could have dropped so many old songs and managed to play for larger and larger crowds, then Axl could do that, too. But the biggest improvement of the last months was adding 2 more 40-year old covers. That's the difference.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/slash-6bd6aeca.html

Now project that to a 3 hour show with no solos or covers.  All of a sudden it's pretty much the same setlist too because he's playing all those songs instead of rotating them.  That's my point.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
johndivney wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

What can he do?  He has to play the hits.  Slash... has songs he has to play too

this is a fallacy.

as is the idea most other bands' fans don't care about the setlist. (& it's not just GnR who have hardcore fans who go to multiple shows. *tho GnR are a special case because it's been p much the same setlist for 11 fucking years now, not just night to night on a certain leg!!)

they don't HAVE to adhere to that policy, they choose to. they choose the safety of it.
people are paying for a show. it's the performers decision as to what the show will entail. it's not up to the punters to demand the hits.

They play a 3 hour set.  Who else does that?  I'll tell you...bands with a much larger catalog of music, that's who.  If you're going to play a 3 hour show with limited options, it's not going to be THAT different ever.  Could it be more different?  Sure, but it's not going to be much different.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

They are playing LESS original songs during that longer set than Slash. They are playing LESS songs off their last album than Slash. They are playing MUCH LESS songs from the past 20 years than Slash. Also, a 3 hour set full of boring solos are LESS entertaining than a 2-hour-long explosion.

I'm with John. Axl chose the safe route: old GN'R nostalgia and a few more covers. Nobody forced him to do it. Nobody's forcing him to do it. That's they way he wants to run this business. Tiny little effort and milking the old band's legacy.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Buzz is right. For one, which everyone tends to overlook, is their limited catalogue. Second, I'd wager the majority of people who go to a Slash concert go to see him playing the hits. They both have nutty hardcore fans who love their new material, but it's all a nostalgia act, really. And people get their fill by having that one person who was involved in making those songs they love play it live with whoever happens to be playing with them at the time.

Even if Axl was hugely successful in 2002. If he did everything right, if CD sold 10 million copies, people would still be going to the shows for the original hits and would feel cheated if they didn't get them. When Page and Plant toured, not as Zeppelin, people were still showing up specifically for Zeppelin songs, not not to hear "Most High."

And Slash isn't touring as GN'R. He can play what he wants, despite what people want to hear. When you tour as GN'R, you're playing GN'R hits. It's not about the "safe" route. It's what you do. End of story. And no one is forcing anyone to buy a ticket or even care for what he's doing. The majority of concert goers aren't showing up to hear some new, unheard song.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

If you've been to a Slash show, you know people are showing up to hear the GnR classics followed closely by Slither and a couple other VR songs.  Those songs get the reactions, not the songs off any of his solo stuff or the snakepit days.  I don't understand why this offends people; it's to be expected.  The same thing happens at the GnR shows.  The same thing happens at every concert I've ever been to.  People react to the songs they know, not the ones they don't.  Not every person at a Slash show is a die hard Slash person. 

Nobody said Slash doesn't do a better job with the setlist, but if he had to play a 3 hour set, while he would still mix it up more than Axl does, it would be a lot less mixing up than what you're getting now.  To really mix up a 3 hour show, you have to have one hell of a list of songs to choose from.  Slash has more to choose from, but if we're being honest, at least half the people from his shows won't know the majority of his non singles.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

This argument is really strange. But you know what? That seems pretty appropriate for GN'R land, haha.

Board footer