You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: Skwerl's post on MyGNR regarding his leak and his source

Scabbie wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

If there are more tracks the question is which ones?

A) Leftovers from the CD1 sessions (Checkmate, Silkworms, Blood in the Water etc)
B) Remixes of CD (perhaps the rest of the Brain album that Better Gone is from)
C) Leaks of new Demos with DJ/Bumble - ideas submitted to Axl.
D) Older versions of the CD1 tracks

Definetely A but not those songs you've mentioned (except maybe Checkmate)

Left overs from CD sessions were widely spread even before Chinese Democracy released. I got a friend who worked for Universal at the time (from 2004 to 2009) and he got to hear, in a meeting regarding CD, most of what would be the CD II. I already posted his impressions on the subject a few months ago. The plan was to release CD and then tour US with a big act co-headlining and mid-tour release CD II. The songs he heard were identified as finished and delivered to release.

And what were they then?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If they are anything like CD, they aren't finsihed and ready for release.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Buzz has a point.. And Scabbie, the first song was described as a sequel to Prostitute, both in style as in theme, like you could hear Cd and Cd2 back to back...

The other songs were described vaguely (this guy's not a GNR fan and had tons of audition meetings with marketers and researchers) as as diversified and over produced as CD but, his words, "this time with two or three potential singles".

This was by 2007-2008 so perhaps what was a single back then may seem like a dated song right now (as IRS would be a great single in 2002 but not that much in 2008).

I sent him a message about this ten supposed imminent leaks to see if he knows something or can get some more info, if he replies I'll share what I get.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If they're anything like CD I want them in my inbox ASAP.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Ok. Was it a while with nothing though? I remember there was stuff like the 20 second clip of the first part of better before the whole song hit the net.

But I can wait.

Hell, I'd settle for the full version of Blood in the Water or Checkmate after all this time...let alone 10 tracks!

Yeah, look how long IRS was out there before it leaked. What, 2 years?

There were rumblings about the leaks for a couple weeks I beleive and then it was like a tidal wave. We'll see.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I missed otto's original post on CD2, so I dug it up for reference. Nice one, dude 22

ottosporteman wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

I have so MANY mixed emotions about Oh My God. Clearly sounds like a draft, inconsistent and lacks a hook but in the other hand is so far away from what we've got on Chinese that it makes me wonder the type and quality of the material on the vault.

You mean in a good way or a bad way?

I feel both this and silkworms are a little more organic on the musical side than much of CD ended up being. This is what the new band brought to the table, while a lot of CD stuff is them trying to be the old band. I think that's supported by both OMG and Silkworms absence from CD after first being released as a single and then being 2/5 of the new songs presented in Rio.

On the positive side Axl has said that the next album will be more experimental. What seems to have happened is the new sound didn't get the reception he had hoped, so he lumped all the more accessible material on CD when it became apparent he had to release something.

Mixed emotions. I've people close to me who work for Universal in Brazil and have ALLEGEDLY heard songs from a follow up BEFORE Chinese was released. They even mentioned song titles that only the hardcore GNR followers would know (Atlas, Seven, Thyme) and they're DEFINETLY not followers, so that grants them some credibility to me. Anyway, they said that the songs they've heard were "epic", "heavy on guitars and synth" and "orchestration all around, higher vocals than on CD"...

If you listen carefully to Silkworms, except for epic and the higher vocals, you have everything they've mentioned. And if Silkworms is the way to go, I'll be disapointed.

BUT they've mentioned that Atlas, Seven and Thyme are closer to Prostitute and Madagascar arrangements than the other songs on CD. One of them mentioned that if you'd listen to CD and the follow up (as it was tracklisted back then) non-stop it would seem like the same album.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

A lot of times I think leaks are as set up as the paparazzi. Label or band leak what they want. Axl was that careful for so long and all of a sudden half an album leaks? Doesn't add up. So I say no way on 10 leaks.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I think AFTER the first batch of leaks they got really careful but before 2006? Not really..

Also, I think these 'leaks' are demos or almost finished versions floating around in label executives notebooks or sitting on shelves of people who really don't care about GN'R or GN'R new songs as we do. They wouldn't know how to value what they have, really.... Like MLK recordings found on an attic a couple months back or the Frank Sinatra record stored so good that it was labeled as lost and refered to by the owner as just another disc...

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Just release this bullshit already Axl, I'm too old and tired of GNR to go through another five year long stint of dumb rumours.

Sky Dog wrote:

for fuck's sake, Axl told us that the other songs were like Chinese....no shit sherlock! They were all recorded by the same people. If you guys don't think there are some high quality (recorded wise) songs floating around out there, then you live under a rock. Guarantee you there are 10 or more songs that could leak at any time. They won't because the demand is not there now. But, I am sure there are a ton of songs that people have and have heard. The MSL docs mention negotiation of the second album PRIOR to the release of Chinese. My thoughts on that are that everything changed between the label and Axl with the Best Buy deal. Who knows how things actually stand now? No clue and no way to guess. All we know is that Axl claimed in the chats that he was still under contract with Uni....nothing on their standing since then. 17

Board footer