You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Favorite Gnr Song From Each Album

Bono wrote:

LEAST FAVOURITES

AFD: You're Crazy

LIES: Move to the City

UYI I: Bad Apples

UYI II: My World

TSI: Buick Mackane

CD:  I.R.S.

monkeychow wrote:

Least Favs:

UYI2: Don't Cry Alternate (my little brain can't process 2 versions of the same song very easily, so I chose the more traditional version to keep. I like this but I could have left it as a novelty B-Side).

I always liked the lyrics to the alternate version better so obviously I always like it better than the orignal. I did mix them together one time though flip flopping between lyrics from each song. The song was exactly the same in length and nothing about it changed other than the lyrics. Axl would sing one line from UYI I and then the very next line would be from UYI II. It was pretty awesome and absolutely seemless. If you didn't know the lyrics to either song you'd never notice anything wrong with it. I Played it in he car one day and my buddy was trippin out cause he was thinking he was screwing up the lyrics when in reality I had mixed the two songs together 16

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Least favourites:

AFD - Think About You

Lies - Nice Boys, probably, but none of the songs are bad

UYI I - You Ain't The First

UYI II - Shotgun Blues or that horrible KOHD version

TSI? - You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory (it's even worse than Since I Don't Have You and New Rose)

CD - Prostitute

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Monkey wtf?!

I love ya but that list is fucked up. Those songs are awesome!

To the bar..

I don't mean those songs are bad, they're just less cool than my favourites.

Truth be told I pretty much like all GNR songs, so the one's I don't like are simply the ones I like least out of the list of things I like.

It's sort of like if you had a very hot girl and are forced to look for faults. You might eventually notice that pimple on her butt - but she's still hotter than anyone else wink

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bro-mero wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

I don't feel CD has any truely bad songs. Scraped has grown on me over the years. I think a collective least would be a combo of Scraped, Riad N' The Bedouins, and I.R.S. I think I.R.S. is ENORMOUSLY overrated by the fanbase. It's Shotgun Blues compared to something like Bad Apples imo. Bad Apples sounds like Don't Damn Me in comparison.

Totally agree on IRS

My whole family that likes GnR thinks I.R.S is the shit, including War, my brother, and my 2 cousins. I've always thought IRS was pretty good but everyone else in my family seems to think it's the best

Yeah, I don't actually think I.R.S. is bad, I just think it's easily the least.

Bono wrote:

LEAST FAVOURITES

AFD: You're Crazy

LIES: Move to the City

UYI I: Bad Apples

UYI II: My World

TSI: Buick Mackane

CD:  I.R.S.

monkeychow wrote:

Least Favs:

UYI2: Don't Cry Alternate (my little brain can't process 2 versions of the same song very easily, so I chose the more traditional version to keep. I like this but I could have left it as a novelty B-Side).

I always liked the lyrics to the alternate version better so obviously I always like it better than the orignal. I did mix them together one time though flip flopping between lyrics from each song. The song was exactly the same in length and nothing about it changed other than the lyrics. Axl would sing one line from UYI I and then the very next line would be from UYI II. It was pretty awesome and absolutely seemless. If you didn't know the lyrics to either song you'd never notice anything wrong with it. I Played it in he car one day and my buddy was trippin out cause he was thinking he was screwing up the lyrics when in reality I had mixed the two songs together 16

I remixed Don't Cry years ago, merging the original & alternate versions together in a full 8-1/2 minute epic, right up next to November Rain & Estranged.

Something about it just didn't work. I didn't duplicate the last solo, but I made the lyrics kinda trail like a continuing song, kinda like Estranged.

It was just too bloated, but honestly in that moment I really discovered how much better the alternate lyrics version is compared to the original, because somehow it found a way to stand out in comparison to the other in all of that jumbled mess. The lyrics were just stronger.

To me the ultimate point was that the alternate lyrics are more thoughtful and reflective and disillusioned and just a pure out unrequited love song, with an almost nihilistic tone. It feels like a Jar of Flies-moment, or some of the late-era Nirvana tracks. That's how those lyrics play.

I think the original lyrics version plays more like a straight-forward ballad with extremely accessible lyrics that are radio-ready. It still works, but it's simpler, sappy, and has more of a happier feelings like instead of unrequited love like in the UYI 2 version, the UYI 1 version it's like the girl figures out about the lost love and comes back. At least that's how it feels to me.

In a nutshell...

Don't Cry-original is the LA version of the song

Don't Cry-alternate is the Seattle version of the song

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Least Favourites:-

AFD: I was never really a fan of Sweet Child, one of those songs that has never grown on me, so yeah Sweet Child.
Lies: None. I dont skip anything on Lies.
UYI1: Live & Let Die. The videos cool but I usually skip the song.
UYI2: Knockin on Heavens Door. Great when your in the crowd singing along but again I skip it at home.
TSI: Buick Makane.
CD: Better. The leak was raw & awesome, the official version not so much. Perhaps unfair to judge it this way but I was disappointed with the released version.

Sky Dog wrote:

ha, I agree with Live and Let Die and Knockin on Heaven's Door....if they were thinking of some form of covers album they should have saved those for that...they are not my least favorite on the albums but I do skip them.

least..

afd-anything goes
lies-none
uy1-none
uyi2-Get in the Ring -WORST GNR SONG EVER-HANDS DOWN
*My World doesn't count as it is just Axl and should have just been a hidden track or a b-side just for the fun of it.
si-Big Dumb Sex part of Buick Makane
cd-Shackler's

johndivney wrote:

jeez u people r crazy! GITR is brilliant!

granted, lyrically it's a bit shitty (one of the few occasions i'll say that about classic era axl) but at least it's kinda fun. musically it's class.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:
johndivney wrote:

jeez u people r crazy! GITR is brilliant!

granted, lyrically it's a bit shitty (one of the few occasions i'll say that about classic era axl) but at least it's kinda fun. musically it's class.

with your other musical tastes, I am suprised you like that song. Maybe the cheesiest song EVER recorded by a monster classic rock band like Gnr. sad

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

To me, every song by the original band is redeemed by Slash's tasty riffing and soloing. 21

I was listening to UYI 1 & 2 tonight, and yep, Slash's playing still holds up even on the weaker tracks. At least to my ears it does.

It's funny too, Bad Apples, is the ONLY track that is co-written by all of the original lineup (Slash, McKagan, Stradlin, Rose) and it is one of the least liked here. But hey, even on Bad Apples, I fuckin love Slash and Izzy's riffing, and that Slash solo is great too. The lyrics are kinda silly though...

I'd say the same about GITR, great musically, lyrically not so much... 16

Board footer