You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Guns N' Roses Vs Led Zeppelin

monkeychow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Led Zep is a great band, but bands like GNR absorbed what they did and continued it to a new level.

I disagree. Zeppelin was better at every single instrument. Better vocals, better guitar work (by a single guy instead of TWO guys), better bass, far better keyboards, and far better drumming.

I disagree with that too smile

Led Zep's lyrics are no where near as complex and deep as Axl's. The actual vocal performance is at a similar standard although I'd lend an edge to Axl for his many different voices and highly distinctive tone. As I've already said I consider Slash the better guitarist - although I'll grant that page was earlier and so should get some credit for innovation. I'd call the bass about level..and I'd probably give the drums to Zep.

So for my ratings they're at a similar level, marks to zep for innovation, but outside of zep's very best songs - overall better songwriting and band is GNR.

Which band is better?

Guns N' Roses 54%
Led Zeppelin 46%
Total votes: 24
tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Led Zep is a great band, but bands like GNR absorbed what they did and continued it to a new level.

I disagree. Zeppelin was better at every single instrument. Better vocals, better guitar work (by a single guy instead of TWO guys), better bass, far better keyboards, and far better drumming.

I disagree with that too smile

Led Zep's lyrics are no where near as complex and deep as Axl's. The actual vocal performance is at a similar standard although I'd lend an edge to Axl for his many different voices and highly distinctive tone. As I've already said I consider Slash the better guitarist - although I'll grant that page was earlier and so should get some credit for innovation. I'd call the bass about level..and I'd probably give the drums to Zep.

So for my ratings they're at a similar level, marks to zep for innovation, but outside of zep's very best songs - overall better songwriting and band is GNR.

Glad you brought up lyrics. Axl's writing is a perfect example of why GN'R would never have the status that Zeppelin does. Racist, homophobic lyrics and immature rants against other people will not get you much respect from the rest of the world. Just made him look like an immature dumbass.

Axl RUINED two very good instrumentals on UYI (Get In The Ring and Shotgun Blues) with embarrassing tirades directed at journalists and rival musicians. The musicianship and his vocals on One In A Million are top notch, but he ruined that song with his bigoted lyrics that only look worse and worse as time goes on.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

^ Axl does vary in the quality of lyrics...I think it's because he writes from a very honest emotional place and that includes sometimes deep emotions of confusion, loss, isolation but also sometimes less favourable feelings like racism, homophobia...but I give Axl credit that he's writing about his real life and his brain.

Plant is writing about Vikings and fantasy.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Plant is writing about Vikings and fantasy.

But that's why it's impressive. Never has such dorky subject matter sounded so cool. 16

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
-D- wrote:

How hard is it to be original when u have the entire musical landscape open to u??

Interesting point.

I'd broaden that up for thinking about outside of just GNR vs Zep too....it's interesting when looking at a lot of historical bands whose music is wonderful but also somewhat simplistic compared to the way things have developed since then.

What would you have to do to be the beatles today?  or Black Sabbath? or even stuff like Metallica?

It's interesting, on one hand, you can say that those bands THOUGHT UP many of the elements that define their genre, so in a way bands after them have it easy, as like in science, they're standing on the shoulders of the great men before them, so if I want to make a drum sound now, I already have a bunch of knowledge at my disposal about what kinds of sounds are going to sound good in rock. So like it's sort of easier for me to have kickass drums on my album than it would have been for Led Zep back in the 1970s when that drum sound was unique.

Then again...from a songwriting perspective it becomes hard to do things now because so much has been done, and while you have that pool of resource about what sounds good, you can't rip too much from it, you need to find the gaps, or find some new way to say or express something. So once when a great song like Yesterday from the beatles was new...these days if you write a three chord acoustic number people are going to be looking for it to have some kind of a new edge...which in a way makes it harder now than it was back then before all the good ideas had already been done through once or twice already.

So there's a paradox...it's easier to do certain parts of art - but harder to do others.

These days you want to make a zombie movie you have to somehow have an edge that wasn't done in Night of the Living Dead, then the modern remakes of that series, then the resident evil franchise. So you better have a fresh idea - and that's almost harder than the first guy who went "hey - lets have zombies attack a house" before it had been done. Conversely though - aspects of it are easier now - audience knows what zombies are, it's easier to do effects, films are cheaper etc....

It's a really interesting dichotomy I think - the extent to which being innovational or being a second generation (or later) artist is the harder task.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Someone mentioned it in a thread a long long time ago..

For Slash to come up with the SCOM intro when millions of songs have the exact same chord progression........ no one will EVER Top that and alludes to his genius.

The melodies on Estranged, Guitar solo on NR

Fuck his throw away solos like on So Fine or KOHD he did are amazing.

Hum ONE Jimmy Page solo

Now see how many Slash's u can hum

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Why does Led Zepplin always crop up in these comparisons?

The fact is both were awesome bands in their heyday.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Hum ONE Jimmy Page solo

I can hum a bunch of them.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Man your on some good shit . Drummer i agree keyboard probably dont care for but axl92 and 21 i dont thinks so pal.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Gibbo wrote:

Man your on some good shit . Drummer i agree keyboard probably dont care for but axl92 and 21 i dont thinks so pal.

Board footer