You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Guns N' Roses Vs Led Zeppelin

monkeychow wrote:
-D- wrote:

Someone mentioned it in a thread a long long time ago..

For Slash to come up with the SCOM intro when millions of songs have the exact same chord progression........ no one will EVER Top that and alludes to his genius.

The melodies on Estranged, Guitar solo on NR

Fuck his throw away solos like on So Fine or KOHD he did are amazing.

Hum ONE Jimmy Page solo

Now see how many Slash's u can hum

In general I agree with this post...although I wouldn't take it that far - page has some memorable solos - eg when he comes back in in Whole Lot of Love, and the stairway solo and parts of black dog. I just think slash has more....but they're both amazing bands....and as I say I think it comes down to the "original" vs the "built upon" of the concept. Both amazing in their own ways.

Which band is better?

Guns N' Roses 54%
Led Zeppelin 46%
Total votes: 24

Lomax wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Riad wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't think it's a tie on guitar...Slash is a much better guitarist than Jimmy Page.

Monkey.......You and me... We tighter than an elastic band round an elephant dick, but seriously that's just wrong.
Many would say Slash would buy jimmy's knob cheese on amazon in the hopes it would imbue him with magical powers. But you andf me know. Slash might not do that.
That said, no "JP" no "/"

I'm not trying to bring Jimmy down...he's a great guitarist, foundational and no doubt an inspiration to many including slash.

But there's no way in hell Jimmy can play something like the live anastasia solo slash did in sydney....even if you don't want to talk about technique (as I agree there's more to things than pure shred skill - it's about playing the right thing at the right time) but on a transforms the song basis...Civil War, the solo (sick of it as well all are) in SCOM, what slash used to do in DTJ live.....hell pretty much the whole of AFD....

Jimmy doesn't have magical powers, he's just a blues guitarist like slash - one that came first and had some great ideas - but slash is a far better guitarist both in terms of technical skill and in structuring a solo to add emotion to the song the right way. Which isn't to say JP is bad at these things, but slash took those skills to the next level....probably after learning some of JP's ideas....I'll give him that.

i know. I was quite drunk when I wrote that nonsensical post. I don't like Jimmy's tone, but I do like his writting and he does obviously have great technical skill. His tone and sometimes his style grate on me however

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Zep is a great band....and maybe I'm just a fanboy...but something about the mojo of Axl and Slash together in their youth, and hell Duff and Izzy....it blew anyone off the stage IMO.

Yeah, you're just a fanboy. tongue

GN'R were one of the greats, no doubt. Zep is a little bit above and beyond that though. And one thing you have to admire about Zep is that they respected each other's importance to the music. They didn't continue touring without Bonzo after he died because they knew he was incredibly important. GN'R tossed Adler aside and then even tossed Izzy aside as if it didn't mean anything.

Easy to hang it up when you've already had an accomplished career. It's something else when it's just about to start. Izzy wasn't tossed aside, he quit, so basically they continued with a new drummer. The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Metallica etc. were no different.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

or it's possible you guys are just Zep fanboys wink

Nah, music historians would agree with my position on it. I do think GN'R deserves serious consideration for best American rock band ever.

Well obviously, being an accomplished band that is loved by the media. They are certainly greater, but better? Media mythos non withstanding, it's actually pretty close.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

or it's possible you guys are just Zep fanboys wink

Nah, music historians would agree with my position on it. I do think GN'R deserves serious consideration for best American rock band ever.

Well obviously, being an accomplished band that is loved by the media. They are certainly greater, but better? Media mythos non withstanding, it's actually pretty close.

Loved by the media? Zeppelin's music was absolutely trashed by the mainstream rock media of the day. Rolling Stone to this day still doesn't give them the credit they deserve. GN'R were given a lot more credit up front with Appetite than Zeppelin ever received in their prime. It wasn't until after the fact that some in the media (certainly not all of them) realized maybe the people buying Zeppelin's music in massive numbers were actually right.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

What bugs me is Zep have like 9 albums or something....GNR owe us for more records wink

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Loved by the media? Zeppelin's music was absolutely trashed by the mainstream rock media of the day. Rolling Stone to this day still doesn't give them the credit they deserve. GN'R were given a lot more credit up front with Appetite than Zeppelin ever received in their prime. It wasn't until after the fact that some in the media (certainly not all of them) realized maybe the people buying Zeppelin's music in massive numbers were actually right.

And GN'R named their second album (media) Lies and later called out specific journalists by name. It's pretty typical treatment of young and edgy bands.

I'm talking about now, and now there can be no doubt that Zep currently presides among the holy cow of bands you are supposed to revere. You can ask any random person, if they've heard about Zep they'll say "those guys were great" even though they can't name more than a couple of songs.

For GN'R the responses will be, let's say, somewhat more mixed.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

And GN'R named their second album (media) Lies and later called out specific journalists by name. It's pretty typical treatment of young and edgy bands.

I'm talking about now, and now there can be no doubt that Zep currently presides among the holy cow of bands you are supposed to revere. You can ask any random person, if they've heard about Zep they'll say "those guys were great" even though they can't name more than a couple of songs.

For GN'R the responses will be, let's say, somewhat more mixed.

Probably because Axl pissed away any good will they had 20 years ago. Not just ruining the band name by pretending that an entirely new band was actually GN'R, but his antics through the years didn't help either. Riots, showing up late, etc.

Meanwhile, most people in the world who have actually heard of Zeppelin likely know more than a couple of songs by the band. They have quite a few tracks that have been run into the ground on the radio over the last 40+ years.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Of course there are legitimate reasons for why that is the case, but that doesn't mean their music automatically becomes better. It just means most people will assume it's better due to the preconceived image.

Doubtful. In my experience any casual fan will struggle to be very specific about a band, even less so with Zep since they never were a singles band. My point is that Zep belongs to a group of bands a casual fan is not allowed to badmouth. Currently GN'R doesn't, and that makes for a very skewed public view.

If you take away the popular myth of Zep you're left with 4 brilliant musicians that made a string of very solid albums. GN'R were certainly less prolific, but they still conquered the world and left behind a handful of eternal hits. To be such a part of the public consciousness with so little output is immensely impressive.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'd say Led Zeppelin 4 was a better and more important album than AFD.

It doesn't change the fact AFD is one of the greatest rock albums of all time.

Board footer