You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Guns N' Roses Vs Led Zeppelin

polluxlm wrote:

Page is a great writer, but the only song I'll listen to just for the solo is Stairway. Slash is a far more iconic soloist.

Which band is better?

Guns N' Roses 54%
Led Zeppelin 46%
Total votes: 24
monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Riad wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't think it's a tie on guitar...Slash is a much better guitarist than Jimmy Page.

Monkey.......You and me... We tighter than an elastic band round an elephant dick, but seriously that's just wrong.
Many would say Slash would buy jimmy's knob cheese on amazon in the hopes it would imbue him with magical powers. But you andf me know. Slash might not do that.
That said, no "JP" no "/"

I'm not trying to bring Jimmy down...he's a great guitarist, foundational and no doubt an inspiration to many including slash.

But there's no way in hell Jimmy can play something like the live anastasia solo slash did in sydney....even if you don't want to talk about technique (as I agree there's more to things than pure shred skill - it's about playing the right thing at the right time) but on a transforms the song basis...Civil War, the solo (sick of it as well all are) in SCOM, what slash used to do in DTJ live.....hell pretty much the whole of AFD....

Jimmy doesn't have magical powers, he's just a blues guitarist like slash - one that came first and had some great ideas - but slash is a far better guitarist both in terms of technical skill and in structuring a solo to add emotion to the song the right way. Which isn't to say JP is bad at these things, but slash took those skills to the next level....probably after learning some of JP's ideas....I'll give him that.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Riad wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I don't think it's a tie on guitar...Slash is a much better guitarist than Jimmy Page.

Monkey.......You and me... We tighter than an elastic band round an elephant dick, but seriously that's just wrong.
Many would say Slash would buy jimmy's knob cheese on amazon in the hopes it would imbue him with magical powers. But you andf me know. Slash might not do that.
That said, no "JP" no "/"

I'm not trying to bring Jimmy down...he's a great guitarist, foundational and no doubt an inspiration to many including slash.

But there's no way in hell Jimmy can play something like the live anastasia solo slash did in sydney....even if you don't want to talk about technique (as I agree there's more to things than pure shred skill - it's about playing the right thing at the right time) but on a transforms the song basis...Civil War, the solo (sick of it as well all are) in SCOM, what slash used to do in DTJ live.....hell pretty much the whole of AFD....

Jimmy doesn't have magical powers, he's just a blues guitarist like slash - one that came first and had some great ideas - but slash is a far better guitarist both in terms of technical skill and in structuring a solo to add emotion to the song the right way. Which isn't to say JP is bad at these things, but slash took those skills to the next level....probably after learning some of JP's ideas....I'll give him that.

The Stairway solo is better than anything Slash has done.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
-D- wrote:

Slash would being gracious, but please.

Its the same ole, people grew up being told this is great and just kinda became so...

no one wants to say the Beatles Suck or Rolling Stones suck or Led Zeppelin sucks out of fear of ridicule so everyone agrees.........

Id much rather listen to Slash anyday of the week... His guitar work is hookier, Solos are sing a longable

Slash puts out a lot of generic rock stuff, imo. Not taking away what he did in GN'R, but he never did anything close to being memorable afterwards.

I'd take Jimmy's solo album "Coverdale and Page" over any Slash solo album.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Slash would being gracious, but please.

Its the same ole, people grew up being told this is great and just kinda became so...

no one wants to say the Beatles Suck or Rolling Stones suck or Led Zeppelin sucks out of fear of ridicule so everyone agrees.........

Or maybe it's just that they are great bands. No bullshit conspiracy necessary. Great music is great music and those three put out a ton of great music over the last 50 years.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It's weird seeing rock fans say they don't care for Page. That's like a Christian saying they don't really care for that Jesus guy.  16

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's weird seeing rock fans say they don't care for Page. That's like a Christian saying they don't really care for that Jesus guy.  16

Indeed. Really pathetic. And what is this bullshit about Page not having emotion in his solos? Total, utter crap. Not only in a live environment, but even the studio versions have a ton of emotion in them. That Stairway solo is chill-inducing.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I don't think anyone has said they don't care for Page, aside from maybe D saying he's not a LZ fan.
I think Jimmy Page is great, I just happen to think Slash is better, because I rank his technical ability and style over Page's.

Oh, and by the way, Celebration Day is fucking epic. I hope original GN'R can get it together one day and put on a show half as good as that when they're that age.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't dislike him, I just think his works need to be put in perspective.

He was good because he's formative and foundational but in an off itself it's not the best ever guitar playing.

Page's best stuff to me is Black Dog, Kashmir, Whole Lot of Love, Immigrant Song and Stairway to Heaven.

Great tunes.

But there's as many good moments on AFD / UYI for sure.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
misterID wrote:

The only thing he does better then slash is dribble 14 anyway its taste everones different and i like slash 10 times better 19

Board footer