You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Guns N' Roses Vs. The Beatles

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Which band is better?

Guns N' Roses 48%
The Beatles 52%
Total votes: 23
Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Is everyone in their 50s on this forum only my grandmare would vote the beatles 16

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I remember they did that for the online Hall of Fame voting a couple years ago. But they're about to run into another nutjob fanbase in the finals (Rush).

Don't look now...
roll

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

This is what I have to say about the Beatles... yeah, they're good, but they started as a pop vocal group, kinda like a boy band (Nsync, Backdoor Boys... LOL). It's only as they went on, they got some cred about them musically.

Yeah, they're founders because of what they did for their time, but comparing them to GN'R makes no sense. GN'R beats them as far as "rock" goes, so you know where my vote goes.

I'm not too fond of pop music either, I like something with a bit more edge.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Never been a fan of The Beatles and doubt anything will change my opinion on them, so I'm voting GNR tongue

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Come on both Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road destroy Appetite in my opinion. I tend to listen to both bands on a regular basis. I grew up listening to Beatles and I really didn't start getting into GNR until I was a senior in high school. When I needed some pissed off down n' dirty rock n' roll music to make me feel better. Their early stuff I get that it doesn't come close to GNR's more developed rock sound; but then you have Revolver, White Album, Let It Be, and my two favs I mentioned earlier that are classic albums and still hold up quite well today in terms of production. It's hard to even compare some of these albums to UYI 1&2. So I selected the Fab Four.  I can understand everyone else is coming from though. Hopefully it isn't a bot getting more votes. Want this to be a fair fight.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

This is what I have to say about the Beatles... yeah, they're good, but they started as a pop vocal group, kinda like a boy band (Nsync, Backdoor Boys... LOL). It's only as they went on, they got some cred about them musically.

Yeah, they're founders because of what they did for their time, but comparing them to GN'R makes no sense. GN'R beats them as far as "rock" goes, so you know where my vote goes.

Started as a boy band?  OMG, you need some music history lessons.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Started as a boy band?  OMG, you need some music history lessons.

I know the Beatles history, I'm just making comparisons. And that's exactly what they started as - a boy band (for their time) pop group for the girls to go crazy over.

I give props to them later in their career, for all their drug-induced trippy creativity, but you can't deny what they began as.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Because of the age of The Beatles these days it does sound like lighter music even though it's great.

I know there's a couple of real guitar based exceptions but in general I do feel most of those songs are melody and vocal based more than stuff like AFD is.

I guess I see Zep as the GNR of it's time....and so that's logical to get into a "whose better" discussion.....

But The Beatles to me is more parallel with a band like U2 - that has mass appeal to both genders, features some tasty guitar work but is primarily driven by the vocals and songwriting in that way.

I don't see Beatles as really the same genre as GNR.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Helter Skelter is a monster of a song if you want a real guitar and drum storm! It's like a prototype metal song. Yeah...I agree they are both in different genres. The Beatles went from a Pop rock mop top band to a hard rock group with beards and starting to gel into their own individual tastes later on down the road. John wanting to experiment; but retain that 50s, early 60s rock n' roller vibe while the others trying out new sounds of the time.  You could say the same thing with GNR with Axl wanting the piano and synthesizer to be more upfront on songs like Nov rain, Estranged, and so forth. The ballads and what would lead to Axl wanting to do an industrial rock band project.  While Slash and Izzy, and many others within the band's camp wanting to keep that blues rock sound completely in tact. ..and of course those different approaches not finding common ground.

Board footer