You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: SLASH 'Wasn't Disappointed' By AXL ROSE's Decision To Skip RnRHoF

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Dizzy Reed is a joke.

Man you should have been around the old 2000 Intentions forums. We used to make up stories that Dizzy Reed was in fact the hidden hand behind GN'R.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
RaZor wrote:

A guy I used to work with was a classically trained drummer, really into jazz, fusion, and prog rock. He hated Slash with a passion. In his words, ”that guy is terrible. Terrible!”. He then he went into a monologue about how he plays off key.

Now I don't know dick about music, other than I know that some I like and some I don't. I really like what Slash does. In fact I have almost 200 songs by him on my iPod, in a playlist I've since named ”terrible, TERRIBLE”.

But I wonder, is what my ex coworker said true? And if it is, why does it sound so good?

It's fact folks:

He complimented the guitar riff, but questioned the construction of the solo. "It just seems like Slash decided to play in A-minor or whatever key he wanted instead of doing what might be best for the song." - Dizzy Reed on Slither

Wow.  Just wow.  What the hell does they keyboard player in GnR know about anything going on in VR?  Slither is pretty close to the perfect modern rock song imo (minus the lyrics).  There's absolutely nothing musically wrong with it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Haha, yeah we know. But it's Dizzy Reed man. It's a fact.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Ghost (the best by far)

Izzy muthafuckin Stradlin was right there helping him. 3

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
RaZor wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
RaZor wrote:

A guy I used to work with was a classically trained drummer, really into jazz, fusion, and prog rock. He hated Slash with a passion. In his words, ”that guy is terrible. Terrible!”. He then he went into a monologue about how he plays off key.

Now I don't know dick about music, other than I know that some I like and some I don't. I really like what Slash does. In fact I have almost 200 songs by him on my iPod, in a playlist I've since named ”terrible, TERRIBLE”.

But I wonder, is what my ex coworker said true? And if it is, why does it sound so good?

It's fact folks:

He complimented the guitar riff, but questioned the construction of the solo. "It just seems like Slash decided to play in A-minor or whatever key he wanted instead of doing what might be best for the song." - Dizzy Reed on Slither

So what do you think about that? Do you like what he did on Slither? Do you think it sounds good and goes well with the sound despite the key?

My response to my coworker was, ”who cares if it sounds good?”  To which he responded that bring off key never sounds good.

I thought this was odd because Slash sounds great to me, and it's weird that a jazz guy would not like it just because Slash broke a musical rule since jazz is all about braking musical rules.

There are no rules...he's essentially complaining that they apparently did a key change for the solo.  I understand complaining about a lot of things Slash has done throughout his career, but the one thing he's almost always done is played a solo that fit the song perfectly and Slither is no exception to that.  Even the simple solos of KOHD and Yesterdays fit those songs perfectly.  Song structure?  Questionable.  Vocalist choices?  Questionable.  Power hungry?  Probably.  Bad solos?  None that I can think of.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Haha, yeah we know. But it's Dizzy Reed man. It's a fact.

Lol

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Ghost (the best by far)

Izzy muthafuckin Stradlin was right there helping him. 3

He was involved on Contraband too no? Hmm, I might need to modify my stance further. Those two are capable of magic (especially when the wizard in the tower also gets a say 14).

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I can name 50 songs that have that rule break. Sweet Home Alabama being one of them. Soulshine by Allman Bros is another.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I still don't think solo is out of key. Opening note is a D!  Song is in D!

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I can name 50 songs that have that rule break. Sweet Home Alabama being one of them. Soulshine by Allman Bros is another.

Yeah, fuck technical perfection. I'll leave that to wankers like Rush. Rock and roll has always had a spirit of rebellion. If that means breaking a supposed "rule" to make music that sounds good, then so be it. All that matters is whether it sounds good or not. In the case of Slither, the guitar work is great. Definitely some of Slash's best work in the last 20 years.

Board footer