You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: SLASH 'Wasn't Disappointed' By AXL ROSE's Decision To Skip RnRHoF

faldor wrote:
Gibbo wrote:

Its only hardcore GNRs fan who dont like his voice cant say im in love with him but he gets the job done its pretty hard ask to cover other vocalest singing. It would be like axl trying to sing alterbridge songs all the alterbridge hardcore would say axl sucks.To me its like bumbleboot in gnrs really cant stand him as a guitarist would much rather see buckethead back in the band but i think hes a good person and all.

Well, my friend isn't a "hardcore" GNR fan.  Of the original lineup?  Sure, but he's no fan of the new guys, he did like VR because he was an STP fan, but he's not a fan of Myles.  So your theory doesn't hold true in this case.  Sorry.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

I know you're "joking", but the difference there is, the Bridge School was an off night for Axl.  (Insert joke here about numerous off nights recently).  Myles, in my mind, doesn't have off nights.  People just don't like his voice for whatever reason.

I wish it was a joke I could insert, but to fans of the raspy tone that made Axl famous he hasn't had an ON night since 2010.

The powerful screams of 2006 are long gone, along with the classic Axl tone. I don't think you can characterise that as an "off night" - something like Rio with a flub of the lyrics is an off night...but being consistently unable or unwilling to sing your songs in the way they were recorded for in excess of 3 years is not.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

I know you're "joking", but the difference there is, the Bridge School was an off night for Axl.  (Insert joke here about numerous off nights recently).  Myles, in my mind, doesn't have off nights.  People just don't like his voice for whatever reason.

I wish it was a joke I could insert, but to fans of the raspy tone that made Axl famous he hasn't had an ON night since 2010.

The powerful screams of 2006 are long gone, along with the classic Axl tone. I don't think you can characterise that as an "off night" - something like Rio with a flub of the lyrics is an off night...but being consistently unable or unwilling to sing your songs in the way they were recorded for in excess of 3 years is not.

Again, that's an entirely different argument.  We can debate that to death if you'd like.  But that wasn't my point.  My point was my friend heard Myles sing and doesn't like the guys voice.  Not because Myles had an "off night".  Because he doesn't like the guys voice.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Well it's not for everyone I guess but then what is....there's always someone who will dislike anything.

The thing is - Myles is able to play an insane number of shows per year at a consistent standard - he's been able to successfully front Slash's band for a complete album and alterbridge for 2 albums of his own material - and he's able to provide serviceable covers for some of the hardest singers in the business to emulate.

This frees Slash up to both WRITE new music creatively and choose a set list from his ENTIRE back catalogue for live shows. Unfortunately that's two areas where GNR seem to have hit a wall - so while people can nitpick and complain that Myles isn't as good as Axl was 20 years ago....and isn't some perfect dream singer - in the reality of what you can go see on a given night he's serving a purpose and serving it damn well.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl made Sailing his own. I love his take of Another Brick In The Wall, wish he'd do the whole damn thing.

But I'll take bad Axl over good Myles any day of the week.

And I wouldn't call Corey one dimensional: Slipknot and Stone Sour, completely different beasts. He has diversity.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Saw Stone Sour yesterday for the second time yesterday, and while Corey still does his macho chest beating alpha male stuff, he seems much more confident this time around.
I still think it would've been interesting with him fronting VR, if only for the heavier direction they would've gone in.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I hear you on Sailing.

Fucking epic that version. I'd blow a goat to have a studio cut of the way he did it in 2006.

But that's my issue...2006 Axl had the goods...had the mojo he's always had....had the screams and power...could do rasp or clean...

I would take HIM over Myles hundreds of times over....but without wanting to be too negative...that sort of form is not what's been going on last few years. So if you ask me today...well....the thing is with myles Slash can play any of the classic songs and write new ones...with Axl...well....I get the strong impression he's no longer able to perform many of the songs in his own catalogue. I'd love to be wrong. But I think that's the reason stuff like TWAT, ITW and Scrapped are rare occurrences, and why songs like perfect-crime and others live in the annuals of history now. I think Axl picks the songs he can still kind-of pull-off in his current form. I'd love to see it change back to 2006 vocal health, and I'd love to see Axl write some new songs, but as-is - that's how I see it.

As for corey. He does have some diversity. But to me he's kinda got 2 tricks - there's the uber tough growl/roar he has that he uses in Slipnott and in the more aggressive Stone Sour tracks....and then there's his clean voice which is sort of pretty but rather radio-standard sounding to me. To me it feels like you always get one or the other or both. It's not like vintage Axl where literally anything could happen in a song. And it's not like myles where he can sing high or low to compliment the guitars.

Don't get me wrong...love to see some corey tracks....but I think a full album of it would get same-ish....much rather he just did a guest song or two....like how M shaddows kicked ass on "Nothing to Say".

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Perfect Crime requires someone who is coked up beyond belief with a ton of energy. Definitely a young man's song to sing.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I like some stone  sour, but I agree, not a huge fan of Corey's.  And no longer a fan of Brent Smith.  Not a huge Myles fan either.  Love the person, and I respect him, but don't love his voice.  The guy from Adler sounds pretty good.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Maybe we should do an all-time band list of people associated with the various GnR members...the combinations are endless.

Board footer