You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: SLASH 'Wasn't Disappointed' By AXL ROSE's Decision To Skip RnRHoF

Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Sorry, but it's ridiculous that Axl comes up with his bullshit regarding Coma, but he wrote November Rain, Estranged, Breakdown, Dead Horse etc. alone, right? The man who can't play guitar. They wrote those songs together. Period.

They didn't write November Rain and Estranged together. Axl wrote the songs on piano and Slash added some awesome guitar solos to them later. They didn't write the songs in the same room like they did with the Appetite material.

But Slash didn't write Coma in his room, right? 18
That's why I say bullshit. Axl obviously didn't write those songs from scratch to the complete version. Maybe he presented the full chord progression, although I think even that could have gone through some serious changes while they were working on them. I believe the same happened with others' (incl. Slash's) songs, too. So Coma is at least as much Slash's song as November Rain or Estranged is Axl's. That's my point.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Sorry, but it's ridiculous that Axl comes up with his bullshit regarding Coma, but he wrote November Rain, Estranged, Breakdown, Dead Horse etc. alone, right? The man who can't play guitar. They wrote those songs together. Period.

They didn't write November Rain and Estranged together. Axl wrote the songs on piano and Slash added some awesome guitar solos to them later. They didn't write the songs in the same room like they did with the Appetite material.

That's why I say bullshit. Axl obviously didn't write those songs from scratch to the complete version. Maybe he presented the full chord progression, although I think even that could have gone through some serious changes while they were working on them. I believe the same happened with others' (incl. Slash's) songs, too. So Coma is at least as much Slash's song as November Rain or Estranged is Axl's. That's my point.

I don't know about Coma. I'm just saying Elton John didn't fall in love with November Rain because of the guitar solos, regardless of how good they might be. It was already a song without the guitar solos. Was Coma a song without lyrics and vocals? I don't know. I'm a fan of instrumental guitar rock, so perhaps it would work without lyrics and vocals. Would be interesting to hear it as just an instrumental.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If November Rain didn't have the guitar solos it would have been pure boy band material.  Same with SCOM.  Slash made Axl's pussy music cool for guys to listen to.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I don't know about Coma. I'm just saying Elton John didn't fall in love with November Rain because of the guitar solos, regardless of how good they might be. It was already a song without the guitar solos. Was Coma a song without lyrics and vocals? I don't know. I'm a fan of instrumental guitar rock, so perhaps it would work without lyrics and vocals. Would be interesting to hear it as just an instrumental.

I think most of GN'R's songs were so strong musically, that the lyrics and the vocal melody were only icing on the cake. Axl's stuff was unique and genius, no doubt, I don't wanna take away his credit, but Coma is a monster even without the words. It's not Alphaville we're talking about where the vocal melody drove the songs. In GN'R the guitars, mostly Slash's guitar was the driving force. I also think that Slash's (and Duff's) stuff was essential to the Axl's songs greatness.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

If November Rain didn't have the guitar solos it would have been pure boy band material.  Same with SCOM.  Slash made Axl's pussy music cool for guys to listen to.

November Rain is a great song regardless of the guitar solos. The guitar work in SCOM is definitely the strength of the song, but I wouldn't give all the credit to Slash. Obviously Slash's solo and intro are amazing, but I love Izzy's rhythm work in that song and Duff's bass lines are great too.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I think we all agree the true beauty of GNR was how AXl & Slash could swap beauty for savagery at will to compliment each others work perfectly and for both of them to always find incredible melody to flesh each others work out.

If you even take November Rain with Slash on the 12 string guitar - I think its actually better than on a piano, its more stricken, heartfelt and pained. Slash has an incredible knack in plucking strings that makes him distintive..Civil War and the breakdown in Coma as examples to go with this. Its the same voodoo that Axl has in how he can cram so much emotion into a syllable that makes a line he sings just so memorable.

I even get the same buzz from the mash ups, there is fucking voodoo in how those men sound so perfect together, even when its cut and paste and they never intended it.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I think we all agree the true beauty of GNR was how AXl & Slash could swap beauty for savagery at will to compliment each others work perfectly and for both of them to always find incredible melody to flesh each others work out.

If you even take November Rain with Slash on the 12 string guitar - I think its actually better than on a piano, its more stricken, heartfelt and pained. Slash has an incredible knack in plucking strings that makes him distintive..Civil War and the breakdown in Coma as examples to go with this. Its the same voodoo that Axl has in how he can cram so much emotion into a syllable that makes a line he sings just so memorable.

I even get the same buzz from the mash ups, there is fucking voodoo in how those men sound so perfect together, even when its cut and paste and they never intended it.

As with everything else on Use Your Illusion, November Rain ended up being way overproduced. I think the most haunting version of the song is the acoustic demo that they did. Axl's vocals are a lot more passionate and I prefer the acoustic guitar to the piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cosKiAgCvQ

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I think most of GN'R's songs were so strong musically, that the lyrics and the vocal melody were only icing on the cake. Axl's stuff was unique and genius, no doubt, I don't wanna take away his credit, but Coma is a monster even without the words. It's not Alphaville we're talking about where the vocal melody drove the songs. In GN'R the guitars, mostly Slash's guitar was the driving force. I also think that Slash's (and Duff's) stuff was essential to the Axl's songs greatness.

That would be Metallica or Pantera, not GN'R. Slash' riffs are not meant to be prominent except for intros and solos. The sound is a balanced mix between vocals and guitars/bass. The outro to Coma would be hollow without the vocals, and vice versa.

And adding a solo to an existing song is a bit easier than adding lyrics, vocal melodies and perhaps arrangements to a riff and a solo. The band tend to agree.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

Like Axl pointed out, Slash didn't come in with Coma as is, that it took a lot of work and input to get it where it was. It's not even a song that Slash ever talks about, so I'm not so sure he's as open to epics as you might think.

Yeah, Axl's word is gospel, isn't it? He's a really reliable and honest guy, isn't he? It took him only two decades to remember correctly, while when Slash was in the band, Coma was "Slash's baby"?

Sorry, but it's ridiculous that Axl comes up with his bullshit regarding Coma, but he wrote November Rain, Estranged, Breakdown, Dead Horse etc. alone, right? The man who can't play guitar. They wrote those songs together. Period. Just one guy stole a ton of writing credits from the others and another was overcredited to make him stay in the band.

On the epic vs. straight forward songs debate. Yeah, Axl was the one who was pushing them to make huge epic songs. That was a good thing. But. As time proved it, without Slash all those Axl epics suck big time. Look at Chinese Democracy. He didn't have quality material to begin with, but blown up Catcher, that mediocre, Yesterdays-type 3 minute song to a 7-minute boredom. Chinese Democracy is the epitome of dreaming big, while not having the talent and working ethics needed to succeed.

Unless you have different information, from what I remember reading, Slash presented Coma in rough form from his own personal 4 (or 8) track and it was called gerth. And I didn't take anything away from Slash, so please, don't get so hyper-sensitive. My only point was that Slash hasn't done anything epic outside of his work with Axl, so I'd say he doesn't care about making epic songs.

I think the only think that makes you butt hurt is that those CD epics don't suck without Slash. tongue

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think the only think that makes you butt hurt is that those CD epics don't suck without Slash. tongue

That's your opinion.  The lack of success of any of the singles and the album as a whole says otherwise.  The only song they made worthy of the GnR name was TWaT.  That's it.  The other CD "epics" are epically bad.

Board footer