You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: SLASH 'Wasn't Disappointed' By AXL ROSE's Decision To Skip RnRHoF

Smoking Guns wrote:

Izzy's big part was the ABC chord progression in the chorus. That rocks.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I think most of GN'R's songs were so strong musically, that the lyrics and the vocal melody were only icing on the cake. Axl's stuff was unique and genius, no doubt, I don't wanna take away his credit, but Coma is a monster even without the words. It's not Alphaville we're talking about where the vocal melody drove the songs. In GN'R the guitars, mostly Slash's guitar was the driving force. I also think that Slash's (and Duff's) stuff was essential to the Axl's songs greatness.

And adding a solo to an existing song is a bit easier than adding lyrics, vocal melodies and perhaps arrangements to a riff and a solo. The band tend to agree.

Hell no! 18  Guitar solos, I mean that level guitar solos and intros Slash did in GN'R, are more unique than great lyrics.

Take SCOM. Izzy wrote that stupid D-C-G-D chord progression that is a complete joke even for any secondary school band. A complete nonsense, a generic shit that was written a billion times already. But Slash wrote tht riff based on these stupid chords that became one of the most iconic guitar melody of all time. There starts greatness. Not singin' about blue sky and eyes.

Like it or not Slash is a unique guitarist, one of the most important and iconic players ever. He wrote all the important music, or made Izzy's Rolling Stones D-sides worthy or great. Without Slash, Guns N' Roses would have been Hollywood Rose II and none of us would be here to debate.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

That level? He's great and all, but he's still a pretty standard lead guitarist. There's nothing "special" going on. The importance you place on that doesn't make lyrics..and melodies..and arrangements any easier to write. A 50 inch flat screen is all well and good, but you'll need a living room in the first place, a place for that to fit in.

And as I said, the band agrees. Which is why they didn't hand out writing credits just for solos. I don't think many bands do.

You forget if it wasn't for Axl he never would have made SCOM into a song in the first place. That's how acute Slash is, he thought their biggest hit was a joke not worth recording. Nobody's disputing his uniqueness and greatness, we're simply saying outside GN'R there are no Comas, November Rains or Locomotives. If he's such a great writer (on his own) why is that?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

That level? He's great and all, but he's still a pretty standard lead guitarist. There's nothing "special" going on. The importance you place on that doesn't make lyrics..and melodies..and arrangements any easier to write. A 50 inch flat screen is all well and good, but you'll need a living room in the first place, a place for that to fit in.

And as I said, the band agrees. Which is why they didn't hand out writing credits just for solos. I don't think many bands do.

You forget if it wasn't for Axl he never would have made SCOM into a song in the first place. That's how acute Slash is, he thought their biggest hit was a joke not worth recording. Nobody's disputing his uniqueness and greatness, we're simply saying outside GN'R there are no Comas, November Rains or Locomotives. If he's such a great writer (on his own) why is that?

Your ignorance is astonishing. You are acting like anyone could have been there playing lead and it wouldn't have mattered much. Slash made Guns N' Roses' sound, he was the most important musician. Without him, they would have sucked like Rapidfire.

I don't care that Slash didn't realize his SCOM's intro's potential when he wrote it. The others (not only Axl, but all of them) realized and that was important. But Slash WROTE that piece not the others. Big difference. Also, I don't hear Locomotive or Coma level epics on CD. I don't hear anything epic at all. Just a lot of sweat to make weak songs longer.

The band does not "agree" with you regarding the writing credits. That was only a method, when one of them became a dictator and another one wanted to quit. They found out a way to keep the band working, which meant that Axl and Izzy got overcredited. BTW anyone who thinks that the vocals in NR or Estranged are more melodic than the guitar solos, hence Axl deserves credit and Slash does not is delusional and deaf. Slash would deserve writing credit for much more UYI songs. What makes DTJ a fan favourite? Slash's amazing playing. What makes The Garden? Slash's slide guitar and powerful electric rhythm guitar. He'd even deserve credit for the KOHD cover, since his stuff makes that GN'R version, not Dylan's base chords. Never mistake legal shit with art.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I was thinking about this on the way in to work this morning (kind of sad, I know)...

NR and Estranged minus Slash are Billy Joel/Meatloaf type numbers.  SCOM is Every Rose Has It's Thorn.  There's nothing wrong with any of that as Billy Joel is a great songwriter and Poison wasn't bad as far as hair metal bands go, but that's what made GnR special and different than every other act out there.  It wasn't just Axl.  I'm not saying Slash is a great songwriter (though he has written a few great songs).  I'm not saying Axl sucks as a songwriter.  Axl minus Slash = CD...a mediocre album with a few highlights, a few lowlights, and a lot of meh in it.  Slash minus Axl = AL...a mediocre album with a few highlights, a few lowlights and a lot of meh in it.  Obviously there are some people that love each effort and that's great, but the overall assessment is pretty spot on.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

I've said plenty of times Slash was vital to GN'R. That doesn't mean there is something special about the way he plays guitar. It's all standard riffs and solos. It doesn't mean they aren't great, it just means his role in the band is that of most lead guitarists. He's no BH or Vai, he's not even a Nikki Sixx or Jerry Cantrell. He's the classic right hand man partner to the front man. They are both indispensable icons who define a band.

No, the important thing is that a good idea turned into a great song. I hear a lot of good ideas on his solo work, not many great songs though. I mean, we have clear proof of what happens when we remove all these unimportant members of the band from the equation. Eric Dover, Rod Jackson, Scott Weiland, Myles Kennedy. Why didn't any of them simply latch on to Slash greatness and become the next Axl Rose? Believe it or not, Slash laying down riffs for 45 minutes does not make a GN'R album.

Well, Coma and Locomotive are great because of Slash so why doesn't he make any more of them? Obviously you don't hear a lot of those on Axl's album, but I'll be damned if you don't hear some NRs, Breakdowns and Don't Crys. And I know you think CD is shit but it doesn't really matter, you yourself admit you don't hear Slash achieving the heights of his GN'R spell on his own, but you'll find plenty of people who think stuff like TWAT, The Blues and Catcher match Axl's former efforts. And suggesting he stretches out his songs to appear epic is a statement without merit. Overproduced sure, but the majority of the songs are around 5 minutes long and in no way do they contain any unnecessary or artificial segments.

No, that was a method from AFD, a method which Slash devised. Everybody in the band agreed. Axl got 40%. Some of those issues you address was why Axl wanted to give more money to Slash and less to Izzy based on their contributions in the band. You know, because everybody knew how important and how much work Slash did compared to Izzy. But again that's just an example of Axl's megalomania, he was probably trying to secure the cash for himself.

If you have a problem with how the band, amiably and democratically, distributed their song writing credits you should take it up with them. Far as I know nobody have raised any complaints.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash in his younger years probably didn't fight hard enough for writing credits, but fuck yes he deserved writing credits for NR. Axl did the vocals and synth. Slash did the arrangement. He turned Axl's vocals into an actual song. He turned it into a rock epic. And his solos alone are all timers.  The outro is killer.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I was watching a special on Freddie Mercury yesterday and Brian May was talking about how now of them really fought for credits hard enough in the early days and eventually that changed.

None of this is relevant to GN'R. From the beginning they actually had a fairly sophisticated system, agreed upon by all, to try and make the share of royalties fair. A song was broken down to guitars, melody, lyrics and arrangement. Each part receiving an equal share.

Side note-
How anyone can discount Slash's contribution to "the GN'R sound" on AFD is completely beyond me.

Where is anybody doing that? All I see is the usual belittlement of Axl's contributions. If reminding people that Axl received the lions share of royalties based on a system devised by Slash, agreed upon by the band, is discounting Slash's contributions then something is beyond me as well.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I've said plenty of times Slash was vital to GN'R. That doesn't mean there is something special about the way he plays guitar. It's all standard riffs and solos. It doesn't mean they aren't great, it just means his role in the band is that of most lead guitarists. He's no BH or Vai, he's not even a Nikki Sixx or Jerry Cantrell. He's the classic right hand man partner to the front man. They are both indispensable icons who define a band.

No, the important thing is that a good idea turned into a great song. I hear a lot of good ideas on his solo work, not many great songs though. I mean, we have clear proof of what happens when we remove all these unimportant members of the band from the equation. Eric Dover, Rod Jackson, Scott Weiland, Myles Kennedy. Why didn't any of them simply latch on to Slash greatness and become the next Axl Rose? Believe it or not, Slash laying down riffs for 45 minutes does not make a GN'R album.

Well, Coma and Locomotive are great because of Slash so why doesn't he make any more of them? Obviously you don't hear a lot of those on Axl's album, but I'll be damned if you don't hear some NRs, Breakdowns and Don't Crys. And I know you think CD is shit but it doesn't really matter, you yourself admit you don't hear Slash achieving the heights of his GN'R spell on his own, but you'll find plenty of people who think stuff like TWAT, The Blues and Catcher match Axl's former efforts. And suggesting he stretches out his songs to appear epic is a statement without merit. Overproduced sure, but the majority of the songs are around 5 minutes long and in no way do they contain any unnecessary or artificial segments.

What?  So if a song is 5 minutes, that counts as epic even if it sucks?  Epic to me is a great, complex and/or groundbreaking song.  It could be 10 minutes, it could (though probably won't) be less than 3 minutes.  Axl has one of those songs on CD (TWaT).  That's it.  The rest of it is pure garbage - songs that may have been good at some point but are overproduced and made "complex" with completely unnecssary additions to them.  I see a few fans going around saying CD is great and all the songs rock - but not many more than say the same thing about Slash's work.  You have to eliminate both extremes and look at what the rest of the people are saying, which is not much in either regard.  Most people are pretty blah on both of them individually.  That speaks way more than the outspoken people on either end of the spectrum. 

The rest of your post is just Slash bashing and ridiculous.  Why didn't Axl deliver with BH?  Why didn't Axl turn Robin into a Slash level guitarist if Axl's contributions are so great?  Your comparisons work both ways.

Board footer