You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: BUMBLEFOOT Says Waiting For A New GUNS N' ROSES Album To Get Done Is '

apex-twin wrote:

The Smashing Pumpkins / Teargarden by Kaleydoscope approach could work for Guns, actually. They have enough tracks in the vault to keep a reasonable production / release schedule with the physical product coming to the picture somewhat as an afterthought (think compilations).

Except the Teargarden by Kaleidyscope project was a clusterfuck. Billy Corgan announced his big 40-song project, released about seven tracks on that monthly schedule and then realised that no-one was paying any attention to them. So he backed out of that plan and released the Oceania album.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
Rex wrote:

It's weird how other bands can consistently put albums every couple of years, but GN'R for some reason cant focus on making one SONG.

EDIT

Sky Dog wrote:

they are doing nothing but touring...that's it. I wish these "new" band members would just admit it and move on. The other thing they need to say is that "Axl doesn't want to make another record"....key word being Axl.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Thal: "There's been talk all the time within us about the next album and what we're going to do and when we're going to do it. But, you know, life always gets in the way. Things get in the way. It's hard to have the momentum and the focus and everything that you need. It's hard to put everything aside and do a whole album.

"I've been thinking about going to work, but you know, life gets in the way."

"Personally, I don't want to do an album. I would like to just do a song. Let's just bite off a song and get a song out there and then bite off another song and get that out there. It's easier to do.

"Look, waiting for an album to get done is just too much. I can't do it myself. If I waited to finish an album, it still wouldn't be done and the album still wouldn't be out.

Coming from a guy who's released albums, even a GN'R album, this makes a lot of sense.

"When there's so much touring and so much other stuff going on, don't try and take on 14 songs. Do a song, then another song, then another song and then figure it out from there."

Yes, that's why every band is doing this. Call Dr Pepper, we got a one sip campaign for you. "One song, one sip. Moderation is good says the Dr."

One advice Ron, if you're going to take one for the team and pretend your boss' follies are actually brilliant stratagems make sure you don't come off as a rambling idiot whilst doing it.

THE funniest thing about this though is that it seems the lead guitarist of GN'R is using an interview to try and communicate with his boss.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

You're right about the communicating with the boss aspect. But you should really chill on slamming Ron. I mean, I'm not demanding that you do or anything, but that's a dude that deserves nothing but respect. He is a ridiculously good guy.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Just giving him some friendly advice to cut the bs, he's not very good at it. If there's nothing to say or you can't say, don't say anything.

I've always appreciated his willingness to communicate with fans but if it's gonna be faux album talk just to try and please he really doesn't have to. Tell us a funny backstage story or something. At this point we all know new music comes if and when it comes.

johndivney wrote:

to be fair to ron it's gotta be embarrassing trying to answer these questions by this stage. it is some BS but at the very least it's not the inane jibber jabber of ashba.

he obv doesn't feel it's his place to give specifics as to why there's no movement (on anything). it'd be nice for him to have mor to talk to gnr fans about but sure what can you do.. it's not exactly his fault y'know?? (it's axl's fault!)

i do disagree w/him regarding albums.
it may well be that abandoning the traditional album format might be the best thing for axl/gnr. but it's not for me. the album still has a special place. like especially when i'm stoned.
the excuse that it's too much hard work doesn't wash either. it's not been exactly easy getting live shows released, there's nothing to suggest releasing individual songs would be the easier route/or worthwhile for that matter.
but maybe give it a go. at this stage it's really give fuckin anything a go. the ethos seems to be don't just do something, sit around instead..

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:

to be fair to ron it's gotta be embarrassing trying to answer these questions by this stage. it is some BS but at the very least it's not the inane jibber jabber of ashba.

Choice he made. He joined in 06, not 86. He should know the deal. I actually prefer Ashba cause though he sounds like a guy who's been in the desert a little too long to us, his bs is at least pulp enough to serve a purpose in the media. If you can't swing that, go the Stinson/Finck/BH route.

he obv doesn't feel it's his place to give specifics as to why there's no movement (on anything). it'd be nice for him to have mor to talk to gnr fans about but sure what can you do.. it's not exactly his fault y'know?? (it's axl's fault!)

It's his fault when he tries to "invent" something to say.

i do disagree w/him regarding albums.
it may well be that abandoning the traditional album format might be the best thing for axl/gnr. but it's not for me. the album still has a special place. like especially when i'm stoned.
the excuse that it's too much hard work doesn't wash either. it's not been exactly easy getting live shows released, there's nothing to suggest releasing individual songs would be the easier route/or worthwhile for that matter.
but maybe give it a go. at this stage it's really give fuckin anything a go. the ethos seems to be don't just do something, sit around instead..

A single is cool for certain situations but as a "release" it's simply too short for the medium. They probably wouldn't even get my money if they did that since I have no interest in having a single in my shelf (of which there likely wouldn't even be a physical copy). If it's going to come from my computer anyway I know how to type y-o-u-t-u-b-e.

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:

Yeah, I'd love music in any form over none. But the one single every x weeks plans leaves me cold. I'm an album guy, especially when it comes to artists like Axl.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

The Smashing Pumpkins / Teargarden by Kaleydoscope approach could work for Guns, actually. They have enough tracks in the vault to keep a reasonable production / release schedule with the physical product coming to the picture somewhat as an afterthought (think compilations).

Of course, no major label has gone this way. Which serves as another example of how ridiculously inept they are in dealing with the digital revolution. Name me one major artist who wholeheartedly loves his/her label.

Can't think of any, myself.

Yes, I think the approach you mentioned, though later abandoned, would be great.

But, like you said, no major label has gone this way.  And, I think it's reasonable to say that Smashing Pumpkins were able to go with that approach because they weren't entangled with a major label.

I would love new music from GN'R.  I see a lot "why can't GN'R put out one song at a time or an EP" and sometimes I see an independent band like Radiohead, NIN or the Pumpkins mentioned.  But, the fact is, GN'R is still tied to a major label and it's an apples to oranges comparison to bring in the name of a band like those I mentioned.  The situations are completely different.

Ali

Board footer